Accreditation for Security Agencies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accreditation for Security Agencies?

Some time ago, I had the privilege of being invited to participate in a review of the CALEA standards for accreditation of police departments. Many of you will have seen the legend "Accredited Police Agency" or something similar on police squads in your area...CALEA is the accreditor. You can read about them at their website here (and you'll discover that they also accredit police academies and communications centers as well).

In particular, if you visit the site, click on the link toward the bottom of the page for the discussion about the favorable impact that accreditation has on the legal liabilities of police agencies - most interesting, indeed. Other materials discuss other benefits of accreditation, and I don't think you'll have much trouble translating much of this to our side of the protective domain.

I've wondered whether or not such might not be a bad idea on our own side of the "thin blue line" as well if it would mean that clients would be able to identify agencies that have met certain standards (and clients would have access to what these standards are, of course).

It would, of course, take real champions of such an idea in the industry to make something like this work...and the standards would have to be such that smaller agencies, and not just the "big guys", could achieve accreditation - just as smaller police agencies can meet CALEA standards. No doubt, the road to establishing standards would be difficult and require hard lifting...but what was ever worthwhile that came easy?

...and who knows? Maybe if a consortium of security agencies got together and approached CALEA, they would be interested in providing guidance on setting up such a program, or perhaps even interested in becoming involved to a greater level in helping to develop the standards and the accreditation process. You just never know what positive results can come from any effort we make to upgrade our industry, and certainly there are many lessons we can learn from the public side in that regard.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 12-08-2006, 07:43 AM.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

This knowledge is the first step.
    Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
    Groucho Marx

Comment

I'm not sure CALEA would be the best fit, but an organization like them would be interesting.

CALEA does certify private police and contract law enforcement operations, though, so they should be able to help. However, without the large firms signing on (which some are already CALEA 3-4-5 star agencies, such as Wackenhut), I wonder if CALEA would listen.

Forming an organization that works with CALEA and draws up the draft specification, then sells it to agencies, (like how CALEA works) seems the best method. CALEA has a lot of associations backing it, like FOP and NOBLE.

Who would back this CALEA-like organization for security? ASIS has their own criteria, and its more about profibility... IFPO has their own system, which revolves around everyone getting CPS and CPO. SEIU has their own Safe and Secure system...

I'd be willing to help, this sounds fascinating.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

As usual, Nathan, has adjuged the present mood of the country correctly.
        It may be slow in coming, but certification of security companies and security personnel will come to fruition. We are, since 9/11, heading in that direction. Public safety agencies will be fully committed, if they aren't already and the private sector, at the direction of government, will have to take up the slack in a meaningful manner, not ad hoc as we see it today.
        Enjoy the day,
        Bill

Comment

Someone noted something to me about this. I don't believe CALEA, who is backed by the FOP, would adminster any such system. Why? Because the FOP seems to have issues with the professionalization of security guards.

This may be because the more "professional" security guards are, the less likely their members are to have overtime and other opportunities.

I found a site called the San Fransisco Special Patrol Police, which is a private police force created by the city. Basically... Its full of POST certified SFPD people who are hired out to merchants. Its all they do. They don't work for SFPD, but they oversighted by SFPD.

Then there's "Metro Special Police," which is a NC Company Police company. While the SFSPP could get into the FOP (government employees), the Metro Special Police could not, as they're company police and not government police.

The more things like "Metro Special Police" happen, the more the FOP needs to go to bat for the governmental law enforcement officers who may feel "muscled out" by lower bidding "special" police agencies.

Sorta like how in some regions, reserve police officers are considered 'the enemy' and a 'tool of management to cut my overtime.'
          Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X