Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good Leadership Skills.. Ideas for comp.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Leadership Skills.. Ideas for comp.

OK, after responding in the "Hiring Decisions" section, one thing I have realized, is that in this forum of "Management", there is little to none in the way of "being a better supervisor/manager". I am in no way saying I am a great leader, but I have had alot of great success with my department, even when faced with insurmountable odds set by a corporation. So, as I train leaders and Officers, I see what I have gone through in the way of bad leaders, and the way bad leaders develop. I promised myself to never be one of thse supervisors that we all know should'nt be. The concepts I will lay out have helped out alot in my department. Turn over dropped massively, Moral went through the roof, applications started coming in by the hundreds, and everything flows nicely. No drama, no bs, no backstabbing.. Why? It always starts at the top and filters down.

Rarely do we hire a person after an interview question of
    "Do you ever backstabb your fellow employees?"..
    "Why yes sir I do"..
    "Great, your hired!"

Employees will learn from their supervisors, as they aspire to be a supervisor. What we teach and ho wwe teach it will determine whether we make a good one or bad one.

One thing I have learned, is that yes, we are assigned to handle more as a supervisor. How we handle it will either succeed or fail, and sometimes letting go of responsibilities by allowing some one else to take it and run, will not only help you, but better your environment.

So, finally, for some tips:

1) Just because you as a supervisor, have the final and total say in how things are operated, doesnt mean you have to. If you give your people something they can claim as their own, and allow them to make a decision on something, even if we personally disagree, will show fairness, trust, and a desire to let our people take their ideas and go for it. They may surprise you and come up with something better!

2) Assign your people individual tasks they can complete that has an effect on your department. Let them make the call and set up the operation on it. People that have something they can call their own will take pride in it, take better care of it, and to top it off, will feel better that they are not just another number. They will begin to look forward to coming to work, show up early, want to work more, and put more effort into what they do.. Product increase..Hmmm..

3) Do not be hasty with your people. Yes, I know, sometimes some of them can be annoying, or even come up with some crazy things, but allow them to express what they have in mind, without fear of retaliation or demeaning behavior. People who know they can come talk to you, will. Even if they have had some serious mistakes.

4) Mistakes: Who doesnt make mistakes? I do, all the time. I cant go a day without thinking I could have done something better. Sometimes even I pull a bone head mistake. We all do, remember that! When your employee makes a mistake, and especially of a non-life altering matter, dont bash them on it. Dont be negative. Immediately respond with how you are going to help them to get out of this mess. Show them that when they fall, you are there to pick them up. Once the issue is fixed.. Drop it. Do not come back later on and try to fix it. Explain that it is ideal to make mistakes as we all learn from them. Sometimes a mistake is made due to leadership not covering an issue, or a bad call. Either way, the supervisor is responsible for the mistake ultimately!

5) Micromanagement is for Control Freaks: Allow your people to wonder and float as they can. Show them that you are not there to "boss" them around, but there to help them when they need it or ask for it. A good leader isnt one that can tyrantly control his/her staff, but one that can help in the work load. Your people will begin to appreciate you alot more, and value you as a leader further. Later on when a task comes up to you needing completion, you would be amazed that they want to help you. In your abscense they will operate better as they dont want to disapoint you!

6) At the end of each of their shifts, remind them sincerely that you have really appreciated them coming into work, performing the way they did, and helping out. It never hurts to remin people daily that you value them and need them. They will feel much better about you and their job, and will work harder to gain more appreciation. Who likes going to work to hear someone grump around about poor employees? Or get an earfull every day?

7) Dont hide your employees away from others: So, you have regional managers that show up, or an important client. Maybe you have a meeting with a client about an issue.. Take him/her with you. Advise them that if they sit there quietly and add nothing you will beat them to death after wards. Expect them to speak up, add their input in the meeting. Not only will this make them feel more important about what they do, but that you value them as well as others, and they arent there as servants without words. You need to call your corporate office and make a notification or request. Allow them to do it. "OMG, I get to speak to the VP of the company about a problem? Wow, Ok, what should I say?".. Allow them to prepare themselves for this, and let them go on a mission. Their input is valuable and they will be less likely to start rumors and conflicts.

8) Dont hide topics or issues. Whether it is about another employee or an issue, be open and honest. Dont be negative, as this encourages rumors and backstabbing, but make them part of the solution. We all need buddies we can count on helping us out when we fall down. Make each memebr a "buddy". Wrong way: "that new hire cant get the idea that we dont need to do that. Its a violation and he will be written up for it".. Instead "Hey, Joe is having a problem, he needs our help. Do you have any ideas on how we can help him out? Help me out with Joe, and see if we can get him in the right direction. Then we can get back to better things!"

9) Show your staff that you make mistakes, and openly! Do not hide your screw ups. Advetise them if necessary, but also advertise that you are going to fix it. Ask for input on better ways. An employee that can come up to you and say " I dont agree with the way you handled this. I think its out of policy. Maybe you should have done it this way..." will be more likely to air their mistakes to you and others to learn from. Dont be deffensive or negative if you are approached on your conduct, even though they may be "below" you in position, it doesnt mean we are not human and dont make mistakes. You may gain alot of respect out of it.

These are some successful tips I have had great results from. Taking into fact that most of us can not afford to pay alot more for good quality people, we can keep people around alot longer by treating them with common courtesy and respect. I have several Officers who commute to work, make less than what the same job in the city they live in can offer.. Why do they stay? Well, sometimes money isnt enough and it only goes so far. We stay where we like it the most.

Rumors are started over 2 reasons.. Vindictive behavior and the Unknown. Most cases are the unknkown. When your staff is in the dark about something, they tend to want to talk and air out what they feel are issues, or probe for the issues at hand. By being forthwit and honest about things with everyone, it kills backstabbing and rumorville.

Finally.. Once you have given some of those "kewl" responsibilites to your employees to take as their own, it free's you up to move onto better things.. Like finding ways of getting free or excellent training to improve your department

More to come later!
    Last edited by Mall Director; 10-03-2006, 02:08 AM.
    Deputy Sheriff

Originally posted by histfan71
    Grow up, get a life, and get a real job.
    You should consider some of your own advice... I don't think anyone cares to hear your arrogance anymore. If your sole purpose for existence is to berate and belittle others, then it doesn't shock me that the only job you could find was out on an island in the middle of nowhere. Do you look forward to this when you wake up in the morning?

I honestly cannot figure out what your problem is?! I can only assume that you are pissed off because you signed a one year commitment, and only a few months into it you realized that it is not what you expected and now you're pissed at the world because you are stuck.

I have yet to see you contribute anything remotely useful to SIW, yet you remain... talking down to others because you are a so called "police officer". If you truly are the professional you claim to be, then try contributing something useful. It just goes to show that respect was never a strength for you, hence why you never have been a "real" cop.

What do you say... Joe is it? Find somewhere else to take out your frustrations.
    Last edited by davis002; 10-03-2006, 05:00 AM.
    "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

I think exposing fakes, frauds, liars, and pathetic wanna-bes IS contributing something pretty useful to this site. You can include yourself in that wanna-be definition, Derick (sp?). Everyone here claims that they wish to improve the security profession, and so do I. One of the biggest improvements the security industry can make is to start "cleaning house", so to speak, from the inside and get rid of those such as Mall Director, dchp, David Marchetti, The_Mayor, Talon, and YOU (just to name some of the biggest offenders on this site, there are others) who are such a stain on the industry's reputation. Until the industry weeds out the unprofessional among their ranks, it will never join the community of professions and enhance its reputation.

I am worried that some of our younger and less experienced members might actually try and follow Mall Director's bad advice, not just on this topic but all the other posts he has made, thus setting themselves up for failure and disappointment. By letting them (and everyone else who views this thread) know that Mall Director is NOT a credible source and should NOT be trusted nor emulated, is also a useful contribution to this forum.

You can attack me all you want Derick, but the fact remains that I have not just once, but THREE times achieved something that you have repeatedly failed at: becoming a police officer. There is no doubt in my mind that you have tried to compensate for your failures in life by starting up a private security guard company so that you can wear a police-like uniform with police-like badges and patches and convince yourself that you are just like the cop that you always wanted (but failed) to be.

I appreciate your concern about my career, and while being a Kwaj cop is not exactly like being a cop in the States, I am happy here and I enjoy my job. Yes, I wake up every morning happy and content knowing that I (unlike you) have made a difference in the world. And unlike what you seem to think, Kwaj is not the only police job I have held, nor was it the only police job I could get. I worked for the Los Angeles Police Department as a Reserve Police Officer and I worked for a college police department in Southern California (which I will not identify) as a police sergeant.

Finally, I will close with a few comments about respect. Respect is not freely given; respect is something that is EARNED. There are plenty of security guards on this forum (and elsewhere) who have EARNED my respect and thus get treated respectfully. And then there those that have earned nothing but my contempt. Care to take a guess which ones those are?

By the way, I enjoy this forum and my role in it, so I think that I will stick around

Comment

On with the topic!

Lets continue the topic!!
        Last edited by Mall Director; 10-04-2006, 03:14 AM. Reason: No longer applicable.
        Deputy Sheriff

Comment

I would rather read a post that is well intentioned and respectful written by a relative newcomer than a bashfest written by anyone.

Many of the items Mall Director listed are some of the very things my better bosses have done over the years.

I have seen these used and have used them in the military and civilian world.
          When several O-8 and O-9 level Flag officers viewed a weapons test on my ship and they wanted to know the CO's opinion on how it went he gave them his then called me to his stateroom to give mine as the Leading Petty Officer on the missle system. Scared the h3ll out of me but it REALLY impressed me.

Whether the job performed is mundane or life-threating rewards even just an "Atta-Boy" for good work goes a long way.

The Golden Rule applies in the work place too.

Comment

histfan71

If you are a Police Officer, why post on a Security Officer forum? You seem to think ALL Security people want to be Police. 75% of my daily work involves things that have nothing to do with policing. (And I'm not including value added duties).

I don't know you & you might in fact just be playing devil's advocate to try & get reactions out of people so I won't comment much about you personally. I will however mention that I rarely hire someone who seems to change jobs as much as you. You've worked for MANY police forces? Most people I know work for 1 for their career. Why do you change so much?

P.S. am I on your list of useless posters?
            Last edited by HotelSecurity; 10-03-2006, 06:54 PM.
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Did Histfan71 get banned? Is he history?

Comment

Originally posted by histfan71
                I think exposing fakes, frauds, liars, and pathetic wanna-bes IS contributing something pretty useful to this site..... and get rid of those such as Mall Director....

By letting them (and everyone else who views this thread) know that Mall Director is NOT a credible source and should NOT be trusted nor emulated, is also a useful contribution to this forum.
                Histfan,

I agree that "exposing fakes, frauds, liars" is doing a service to this forum. What I don't understand is why you feel that Mall Director should be included in that list. I have not read anything posted by him that would cause me to suspect such a thing.

Since you have made an accusation, and Mall Director is presumed innocent until proven otherwise, it is now your responsibility to prove that your allegation is truthful. We await your response.
                Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Disregard

Apparently, a response is not necessary. Member has been banned.

Comment

Who banned him? I wanted answers to my questions. Histfan71 if you read this send me an e-mail @ [email protected] with your answers to my questions.
                    Last edited by HotelSecurity; 10-03-2006, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                      Who banned him? I wanted answers to my questions. Histfan71 if you read this send me an e-mail @ [email protected] with your answers to my questions.
                      I believe the Moderator, Geoff, decides when enough is enough. See Post #3 - It reads "Banned" under his name.

Comment

Originally posted by Mall Director

6) At the end of each of their shifts, remind them sincerely that you have really appreciated them coming into work, performing the way they did, and helping out. It never hurts to remin people daily that you value them and need them. They will feel much better about you and their job, and will work harder to gain more appreciation. Who likes going to work to hear someone grump around about poor employees? Or get an earfull every day?
                        # 6 is the one that I liked the best. Even better than verbal acknowledgement is something tangible, a certificate of performance, gift card for dinner, etc., and rank/hourly increase if merited and budgeted.

If this isn't done, officers will begin to think: "Why should I do any more/better than the minimum needed to keep the job?"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                          # 6 is the one that I liked the best. Even better than verbal acknowledgement is something tangible, a certificate of performance, gift card for dinner, etc., and rank/hourly increase if merited and budgeted.

If this isn't done, officers will begin to think: "Why should I do any more/better than the minimum needed to keep the job?"
                          This is so very true.. many days I went through without due appreciation from employers, so I knew I never wanted to be like them. Even though I have gone up, I never forget where I started and what it was like.. Pay included. What little amount of a "raise" I was awarded for position, I dont forget, and even contribute back. In instance where I spoke out about the fact I hire college students to work for me, I remember going to college and how short funds were due to this. In return, many of my Officers who are college students, i personally purchased some of their duty gear, as I knew they could not afford it on their own. A simple Bianchi MK4 holder dropped in an officers box, makes a difference on their attitude, especially when they ask about it, and I respond with "its yours, you need it". Simple little things like this show we care that they do such a good job, and we dont want them to forget how much we appreciate it. As a soldier, you are taught that the grunt is the meat of the Army, and without that one grunt, it can make a major impact on your strenght. This is true to the civillian world as well.

I could never run my department by myself. If I could it wouldnt be a department, but a single contractor of services. I would love to challenge any employer/supervisor, to take one day out of their lives and show just a brief moment of appreciation to those that work for us and make things happen. You would even be amazed at what a hand shake at the end of the day, or a pat on the back as they type away at their Daily report, will do to moral. I found out that a department will pull amazing miracles and performance out of themsleves, even when we cant compensate them with funds, when there is high moral.
                          Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
                            I believe the Moderator, Geoff, decides when enough is enough. See Post #3 - It reads "Banned" under his name.
                            Even if he is banned I hope he can still read the posts. If so I'm still waiting for answers.

Comment

It's a day later. He never replied. I guess like most people like him they are only BIG when they have an audience. Have a good life

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X