New Security Company HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Security Company HELP!!!

Hello everyone. I'm fairly new to this whole fourm thing so please bear with me. I live in California and have been working as a security officer for about two years now. Me and another officer want to start up a new un-armed private patrol company.I have 4 questions that i would really appreciate some advice on:

1. Does anyone know the going rate for a contract with a construction site for an un-armed static post?? How about for things like partys, weddings, etc etc..........?

2. I know u need two separate P.P.O. licences for a partner company, but how much money would anyone reccomend for a start-up company with 3-4 employees??

3. I also need to know how much liability insurance needs to be caried? BSIS web-site states that you need a minimum of 1 million to employ armed security officers. Does anyone know the minimum for un-armed, and the ballpark preminum rate???

4. My final question is : Would it be possible to work as uninsured private in-house security if we draw up a contrace specifying that we assume no liability for anything??

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Steven

As to Number 4: Are you asking if your "company" could be employees (and not contractors) of your clients?

I use company in quotes because that's not a company. That's a bunch of people working for a company as their security department. The "client" is responsible for all your payroll, taxes, worker's comp, etc. I see no reason for any client to hire in-house if they're hunting for contract.

Also, if you're in-house, they assume all liability as you are their employees. If its contract, your company assumes liability as their your employees.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Yes thats what i meant as to #4

Comment

You can't draw up a contract for anything if you try to hire your entire security company as "in-house employees." You are no longer a security company, you're actually just a bunch of people working for "the client," who isn't a client - they're your employer.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Thank you. Any advise on 1-3???

Comment

Not from California. I'd refer you to the BSIS site, but I think you've been there. Those are administrative questions, call your local BSIS office and ask them.

Comment

1. Does anyone know the going rate for a contract with a construction site for an un-armed static post?? How about for things like partys, weddings, etc etc..........?
              A company I worked for charged $25 per hour per guard for those type of posts, we called them "specials" because of their short term nature. There were times when they went as low as $15 per hour just to make sure no other company was able to under bid them.

What location here in California are you planning to operate? Location can dictate price as well.

I've heard it takes 6 months to a year for BSIS PPO approval.

Good Luck with your business!

Comment

Before I even respond, I would ask what your motivation is? Are you serious about starting a business enterprise upon which many people rely to pay their bills and support their families and client organizations rely for the protection of their assets and employees? Or are you a bunch of guys trying to figure out a way to make a buck or two an hour more than working for a company. Both are fine with me and I'm with you guys either way. However, I only have time to assist the former. If you are serious, contact me through my website below.

Richard
                Richard Dickinson
                Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
                DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
                www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

One More Thing

By the way...Let's hope Kurt is in a better place. Based on Courtney's media exposure over the years, I have to think he is...no matter where he is!!!!
                  Richard Dickinson
                  Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
                  DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
                  www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

Originally posted by hrdickinson
                    By the way...Let's hope Kurt is in a better place. Based on Courtney's media exposure over the years, I have to think he is...no matter where he is!!!!
                    rofl. Courtney is a frightening woman.

Comment

Biz Start-up Advice

Steven,

First off my friend you need to become familiar with basic business operations before you jump into the what you think to be the “big-bucks” of a security company. Security companies just like any other service originated company thrive on numbers! Meaning, the more clients you can bring in the bigger the piece of the pie you can enjoy. It matters not if your starting up a carpet care service biz or a guard and patrol service, all require one thing in the eye’s of Uncle Sam. Tax’s and compliance/s with city county and state mandates.

The way you are going about this judging from your post you are already making serious mistakes that befall many first time business owners! You make the assumption that because you work the field of security—now I’m qualified to now open my own security company and show Wackenhut how it’s done!

This is why BSIS always refers to “qualified security/investigations managers”

They assume you have some prior knowledge of running your own business prior to applying for a license. Have you thought of any of this? What will your business start-up cost be? 99% of all new small business start-ups underestimate their start-up cost from the very get-go!

Business plan? Sounds like you don’t even have one yet. Where and how are you to obtain your client base? How much do you plan to spend on advertisement? Did you know a crappy little non-bold font (about 18 words) in your local paper is over $200 a month Sundays only! Just because you’re a business! Local newspapers stick you bigtime! Or do you and your partner think your going door to door calling on folks whom already have a contract with the company you work for now?

Speaking of contracts? Do you have one yet? Get ready for some really nice attorney fees my man!

I think you may need to make a run to your local Barns and Noble and peruse the “How to Start and Run my Own Small Business” section before you make the very same mistakes over 95% of other California small biz owners make!

Even after following the all the rules, even after dotting all the i’s even after crossing all the T’s, does not guarantee success.

I should know, I have tried and failed in many business opportunities. Which is why I have posted my passion-filled reality based remarks!

Running a successful business “is NOT” what you think it is.

Comment

Indeed. Getting clients is hard. ALL my clients are based on word of mouth and referral. If we can't do something, we contract it out to someone we know can. I don't advertise "traditionally," because it doesn't work.

Comment

1. To find the going rate for security services in your area: Open up the YellowPages, call serval security companies, and ask for a quote. Take the average then subtract some.

2. You do not need a seperate PPO for a partnership. The startup cost depends on what equipment you have on hand. WIll you need to purchase a patrol vehicle, Office space, patches, uniform, duty belts, PPO lic fee(700), application and test fee(500), Live Scan, city and county registration, etc. In short: A lot more than you'd think.

3. Not sure.

4. Assuming no liability for anything is the same as closing your business

It takes about 30 days for BSIS to approve a PPO LIC. The whole process of takeing the exam, submitting all the misc fees and applications can take ablut ..... 3 month. GIve or take.

Comment

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                            Indeed. Getting clients is hard. ALL my clients are based on word of mouth and referral. If we can't do something, we contract it out to someone we know can. I don't advertise "traditionally," because it doesn't work.

I'll second that. The only response I received was from competitors trying to get information about my business practices.
                            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X