• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mall Director
    replied
    Originally posted by SecureTN
    The Air Force is what I want, but it may have to be the Army
    If you are ever near Knoxville, I have an old battle buddy that will help you see that this is not what you may want to do..LOL!

Leave a comment:

• Mall Director
    replied
    Originally posted by Apolo
    Mall director, I have to say that is quite a rigorous hiring regimen, But good for you putting such an emphasis on quality workers, and especially for helping your employees to succeed! The company that I work for could be considered by most here a joke. We receive nothing but mandatory state training and then asp Handcuff and if we are deemed worthy we are allowed to take the firearms test for our armed license. However there is no other training involved as far as bettering the guards or the company. we've received countless memo's citing lack of professional apperance and even threatened with termination if we don't wear our TIE! now I don't have an issue with following orders but i believe professionalism comes from pride in your job, your company, and through proper training. They even posted our company motto. "it's not what the company can do for you, it's what YOU can do for the company" It's just nice to see that not all companies are operated this way and that there are some out there who feel that investing in their employees with education as well as training will yeild them an immeasurable return.
    Thank you Apolo..

Like you, I worked for many agencies where they had their priorities in the wrong spot. Once I achieved a position where I call the shots, I changed everything all around. I too was tired of this so called "professionalism" where its just appearance, and nothing else. You can have a sharp looking officer (which I agree with) but the minute his mouth opens up, all that you dressed up, goes away.

Here is another tip I cant emphasize enough for other employers.. And I do request that anyone who is a supervisor seriousely takes what I have to say, and thinks about it analytically and does a self check...

Employee's, or Officers.. These people are the real foundation of any company, and how they are treated will result in what you get. I know as a Director, I have the say and authority to make any decision I deem.. But does that mean I do it, no. My people make the decisions. Once you have hired competant individuals, that show intellegence, its time to open them up. An Officer will value their position even more so, and take it to heart literally, if you allow them to make important decisions within your department.

Give them areas they are completely responsible for.. Something they can call their own, such as a feild of operation or specific assignment. Dont give them meanial tasks, but something that has an effect on you and them. An Example: I allow the department as an entirety to make the call on new hires after the interview they conduct. They have to work with the new hire and train him/her. Allow them to determine the best candidates. This empowerment will give them even more pride and ownership of their position and deparrtment, resulting in fewer issues.

Do you have records needing constant updating? How about physical equipment inventory and deligation? Department purchases? These are areas people when assigned, will take alot of pride in. Not to mention... They may do a better job than you the employer in this area!

Evaluate your people. Find their strenghts, and then utilize them. If some one is a computer guru, assign them the task of technical operations.

Allow them to change the department procedures. Yes, we all have corporate or agency policies that must be followed. But there are alot of areas that you, the employer has to fill in when it comes to operations. Allow them to think and come up with ideas. Sometimes they will approach you with a better way of operation or handling something. As much as you may be leary, or skiddish about what they have in mind, give it a chance. Let them take the ball and run with it. Whats the worst that is going to happen? They fail? So what, they tried and it didnt work out. Maybe some an area gets dinged a little, and you have to take the heat for it. Take the heat, but dont send it down hill. If it works.. Congrats.. You have a better system than what you started with. The employee gets alot of self accomplishment out of it.

Never respond negatively to an employee when he/she corrects you in an area. If what they have to say is legit, acknowledge that you understand it, and improve. Even if you dont agree, sometimes what others will see is not what we see, and we may not be seeing the whole issue at hand.

These are just some of the ways I have succeeded with great results. Now that I think about it, a new thread about Good leadership may be something I could put out for some ideas that every one can take home...

Leave a comment:

• SecureTN
    replied
    The Air Force is what I want, but it may have to be the Army

Leave a comment:

• Apolo
    replied
    hats off you you

Mall director, I have to say that is quite a rigorous hiring regimen, But good for you putting such an emphasis on quality workers, and especially for helping your employees to succeed! The company that I work for could be considered by most here a joke. We receive nothing but mandatory state training and then asp Handcuff and if we are deemed worthy we are allowed to take the firearms test for our armed license. However there is no other training involved as far as bettering the guards or the company. we've received countless memo's citing lack of professional apperance and even threatened with termination if we don't wear our TIE! now I don't have an issue with following orders but i believe professionalism comes from pride in your job, your company, and through proper training. They even posted our company motto. "it's not what the company can do for you, it's what YOU can do for the company" It's just nice to see that not all companies are operated this way and that there are some out there who feel that investing in their employees with education as well as training will yeild them an immeasurable return.

Leave a comment:

• Mall Director
    replied
    Air force man.. I cant emphasize that enough!

Leave a comment:

• SecureTN
    replied
    Hotelsecurity, Thank you for your advice. I was 260, at 5'7", I am now at 232 and still losing. I am planning on joining the Military (USAF, or Army).

Leave a comment:

• Mall Director
    replied
    While I do dress well, and keep my appearence (teeth, facial hair) professional, and I also always carry a pen, it seems I would not be hired by most of the Companies represented, if you will, in this thread.

I am 19, no military (yet?), no college. To be honest, I dropped out my Sophomore year (stupid, stupid me), but have my G.E.D. Was a Star Scout in the BSA, and a Cadet Lt. in JROTC (Army)

Next, my size. I am 227 lbs, wear a 17 1/2 shirt, and 42 pants... granted some of it is muscle, but most is not. For some reason, I can outwalk, and outrun most on my site.

I only have a year and a half's worth of experience, some of which I spent in New Orleans, but I am Baton...etc...etc Certified.

Am single, no dependents, and my only other obligation being that I am training to become a Volunteer Rescue Technician.

That being said, I am curious, what would my chances be, if I were trying to secure a position with your company.

If I come across as being a jerk or anything, I apologize, that's not how it's intended by any means... it's just late, lol.
    Well.. First thing, You would have to drop off an application. Your application would say a lot to start. I look at handwriting. That begins to tell me alot. I do not look so much for content as I do your writing style. If it isnt chicken scratches, and articulated well, then you would get a letter in the mail, inviting you take take our written exam.

The written exam is comprised of english skills, reading comprehension. After the exam, you would go home. If it pased, you would get another letter that would invite you to a physical fitness exam.

Again, you would come in and take the physical. Its comprised of push-ups, situps and a run. Its all timed, but not very hard. 25 p/u 1 min, 27 s/u 1 min, 1/2 mile 5 min. Once completed, you would go home and await the next letter for the interview.

The interview is comprised of one Lt., 2 Sergeants, 2 Lead officers. THey ask all the typical questions.. Strengths, weaknesses, goals, scenerios, issues, technical knowledge, personality questions (mentality concerns).

Once you are all done with that and depart for the evening, if its a "go", then a day later you will either get a call or letter, in which you go to our local PD and get a background check done. Then you bring it in, have a final interview with our Site PD Officer, in which he has some questions. If he approves, you come over to our office again, get measured, copies of DL and SSC. Paper work is done, and a week later you start.

The college and Military thing indicates to us, that you have a desire to go somewhere in life, and even though it may not be to stay in our department, its still a good thing. Alot of our Officers get real good training and go onto PD, SO, or state patrol. We take alot of pride in getting people ready for LE work, as we have excellent report skills and mentally sound persons. Military shows a level of self discipline that normal civilians have. As for your ROTC, it would get checked in to heavily to help determine your charactor. If it panns out, it wuold be a benefit, and the same goes for the BSA records.

Other kudo's, we work with CSU in credits. After 6 months of employment, we submit a completion of training report to records with the university, and you get 3 credits for the life skills comprehension in Arts. So, if no college in your history, we push you into as being employed with us. We dont like people not going anywhere with their lives, and want top notch personnel.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    While I do dress well, and keep my appearence (teeth, facial hair) professional, and I also always carry a pen, it seems I would not be hired by most of the Companies represented, if you will, in this thread.

I am 19, no military (yet?), no college. To be honest, I dropped out my Sophomore year (stupid, stupid me), but have my G.E.D. Was a Star Scout in the BSA, and a Cadet Lt. in JROTC (Army)

Next, my size. I am 227 lbs, wear a 17 1/2 shirt, and 42 pants... granted some of it is muscle, but most is not. For some reason, I can outwalk, and outrun most on my site.

I only have a year and a half's worth of experience, some of which I spent in New Orleans, but I am Baton...etc...etc Certified.

Am single, no dependents, and my only other obligation being that I am training to become a Volunteer Rescue Technician.

That being said, I am curious, what would my chances be, if I were trying to secure a position with your company.

If I come across as being a jerk or anything, I apologize, that's not how it's intended by any means... it's just late, lol.
    How tall are you?

Just a little warning. I'm about 5'8". I'm 50. 3 years ago I was about 240 lbs. I wore a size 18 1/2 shirt & 44 or 46 pants. I became DIABETIC. Please if according to your height you are over weight, consider loosing some. I'm down to 187 lbs & working hard on trying to get down to around 170 lbs. I really don't suggest waiting until you are in your 40's & diagnost as being diabetic to take action. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    I once heard a tale; maybe someone can corroborate it for me, about Edison's first light bulb and his assistant who dropped it. Edison made another one and guess who he asked to carry it for him? That's right, the same assistant that dropped the first one. (No, he didn't drop the second one too. )
    I've heard that story too, but cannot confirm the truth of it. I think it is just a charming anecdote.

Leave a comment:

• SecureTN
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Mall Director
    replied
    LOL.. Yes.. this poor guy was about in tears fearing that he may loose his job, as he expressed that thius type of work makes him the happiest, and doesnt want to do anything else.. You really cant bash someone like that!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Mall Director
    So true.. And probably whats even more important, is how enthusiastic the person is about the excitement of the possibility of getting hired.. People who care about their job, I can work past small and large mistakes made on their part, as they want to truelly be there...

I just had an issue with one of my Officers yesterday. He had left our digital camera out in an open area, and it disappeared (wow, what a concept!). Now the guy is educated, but this one amazed me.. Normally I would have killed him for such a mistake, but he really likes his job, tries too hard, and has heart.. It ended with where we all pitched in to get a new one, so he didnt get a counselling, and actions didnt have to go any further. Involving him in the decision making process was important, as I knew he was smarter than the mistake he made, and it gave him the chance to use those critical skills to figure out how to slove a problem.
    That's a great way to earn respect and build confidence in your officers. I once heard a tale; maybe someone can corroborate it for me, about Edison's first light bulb and his assistant who dropped it. Edison made another one and guess who he asked to carry it for him? That's right, the same assistant that dropped the first one. (No, he didn't drop the second one too. )

Leave a comment:

• Mall Director
    replied
    So true.. And probably whats even more important, is how enthusiastic the person is about the excitement of the possibility of getting hired.. People who care about their job, I can work past small and large mistakes made on their part, as they want to truelly be there...

I just had an issue with one of my Officers yesterday. He had left our digital camera out in an open area, and it disappeared (wow, what a concept!). Now the guy is educated, but this one amazed me.. Normally I would have killed him for such a mistake, but he really likes his job, tries too hard, and has heart.. It ended with where we all pitched in to get a new one, so he didnt get a counselling, and actions didnt have to go any further. Involving him in the decision making process was important, as I knew he was smarter than the mistake he made, and it gave him the chance to use those critical skills to figure out how to slove a problem.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Mall Director
    What an interesting occurance... LOL... We have the same environment.. My people enjoy eachother quite a bit, established a great support system with one and another and make excellent results.

I find that average civillians, such as non-military and non-college persons, lack alot of the social skills developed in a class room or field environment. In college or military, you are generally "forced" to work with others if you wish to accomplish a goal. I am not saying this is always the case, but seems common.

Then again, I could be blowing hot air out of my biscutt, but I find it interesting the common areas of this nature.
    I know from your post that you are not implying that ONLY college persons have the skills to handle a position within your security department. That’s a wise viewpoint, especially since I am continually amazed at the inability of college graduates to communicate well on a verbal or written basis. Grammar, public speaking, and other so-called college level abilities are often lacking in individuals who have a degree. IMO, anyone who applies himself or herself at a high school level or a technical school can handle the responsibilities that you have described.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by Apolo
    well glad I never applied with you guys, I never bring a pen, afraid it'll brake in my dockers and i'll get ink all over myself, I'd rather have to ask for a pen than to explain that , LOL
    No problem mate. We'll send you a pocket protector.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X