Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiring Decisions?

an1v vx1v1
    Last edited by FDG06; 08-03-2008, 02:39 AM.
    Sometimes there is "Justice", sometimes there is "Just Us"

This really, really depends on what the company's focus is. If they're providing "untrained observers," in other words the warm body security guard, the more experience and training you have - the less desirable you are. After all, a former LEO is trained to act, which is the last thing an "observe and report only" security guard should do. It increases the liability for the company, as well as the standard of care to the client.

On the other hand, if they're more about intervention, then the more training and experience you have in tasks that will benefit them (investigation, detentions, driving, verbal judo, etc) is good, also off-set by their needs.

There's also always the problem of, "It costs us 200 dollars to put this guy on the street. We're gonna pay him $8.00 an hour. This guy is used to making at least 12. Is it worth it, or is the guy gonna bail the first week for a GSA gig with Wackenhut?"
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Originally posted by FDG06

Do you consider a family man over a young adult (who maybe in job transition)?
      Just from what I have been taught for hiring and interviewing purposes....this should not even be asked. Something to do with EEO and all that I believe. I have a memo put out that cites some fed stuff and I will see if I can find it.

All though in some cases I can see where a single man may actually be more useful, (More flexible, more likely to work a call off, etc..)

I was told that you could not even ask someone if they are married or not during an interview.

Comment

When I was hiring people the number one thing I looked for was a positive attitude. If the applicant I was interviewing had a positive attitude, was willing to learn and to work hard, I was willing to overlook some deficiencies in training and experience.

However, I valued experience over training, but the right kind of experience. Experience that was directly relevant to the job at hand. The experience gained as a security guard for a construction site or working a high-risk housing project was not going to translate well into corporate security work. If an applicant had a lot of security training that would work in a corporate environment (such as First Aid/CPR, CCTV, alarms, access control, and the like) then I would consider that applicant over someone with a lot of experience but little training.

Previous pay rates also played a role. If someone was making say $20 hour on a Federal GSA contract I would wonder why that person wants to come work for me at $12.50 per hour. If the applicant could reasonably explain why he wanted to take such a drastic pay cut, then OK.

Comment

Some security companies’ hire people that look and act like the kind you wouldn't unlock the door for. I've overheard applicants showing up and asking to borrow a pen to fill out the application. Now what does that say about the candidate??

Part of it is that companies are afraid of discrimination complaints or even worse, state sanctions. If it were up to me, we would be very shorthanded because there aren't too many good candidates walking through the door due to the low pay and poor benefits.
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
            Some security companies’ hire people that look and act like the kind you wouldn't unlock the door for. I've overheard applicants showing up and asking to borrow a pen to fill out the application. Now what does that say about the candidate?
            To prevent people off of the street from wandering around our administration area anyone coming in to fill in an application for anywhere in the hotel has to do so outside of the security office. The application from anyone that has to ask to borrow a pen automatically gets filed in my special "round" filing basket
            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

Short answer, discipline. Everything else is teachable.
              Booth

Comment

Originally posted by HotelSecurity
                To prevent people off of the street from wandering around our administration area anyone coming in to fill in an application for anywhere in the hotel has to do so outside of the security office. The application from anyone that has to ask to borrow a pen automatically gets filed in my special "round" filing basket
                Amen.........
                Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

well glad I never applied with you guys, I never bring a pen, afraid it'll brake in my dockers and i'll get ink all over myself, I'd rather have to ask for a pen than to explain that , LOL
                  " You may make fun of us for what we do, but when it hits the fan, you'll be glad we were there"

Comment

After taking over in my area, alot of changes went on in the hiring process. I wasnt pleased with what was there, and for good reason..

The old director had his "bulldog" that was promoted to a supervisor position, based purely on Size. As I was taking over, i was informed the reason for this individuals presence was that of a "detourance" against the gangs.. Come to find out with the help of our local PD, he was aiding the gangs.

Size.. I would like to sit here and say that size is not an issue, and we never judge on size, as a part of the whole process, but that would be lying. The big and stout applicants that walk through our door, assume that because of their size, they got it made and will have the job.. needless to say, many are disapointed, as they even refer to their size as a qualification, we instantly demean that in our responses. Most all of my staff range from 5'4 to 6'0, and all are under 170 in weight. A very "ranger" type build to most of them. They are not overly buff, but pretty slender (90% wear a 15 1/2 size shirt, and 33-34 waist). I have noticed a lighter build person doesnt have as many issues walking for extended periods, and can fly when needed.

Now, whether an applicant is single, married, black, white, green, that we dont care about. Age plays a part, as the older applicants seem to have a harder time working with younger ones in charge, and learn at a slower rate when it comes to technology, which is 33% of our duty. I have not had luck with hiring anyone over the age of 35 as of yet. We do try to get some older ones in, but in all past cases, they have a hard time with computers, programs, physical fitness tests, and motivation to accellerate in their own personal gains. This doesnt mean they are automatically disqualified, its a factor we have to consider.

The constant referal to "we" in my statements, is that even though I am charged with hiring decisions, I leave it to my lead officers and supervisors under me in my department. THey are intellegent people, and have made some fantastic selections. They have to work with these new hires more than I do, and many minds over one mind will help filter applicants and bring new concepts to the table. In short, our process:
                    - Add in the paper, to come in and get an application, fill it out, return it.
                    - Wait for a letter, with instructions for the date/time to come in and take the written exam.
                    - Wait for letter of acceptance, and new date/time for physical fitness exam.
                    - Once completed, then a letter for the interview, which is comprised of 5 department staff members.

I would say that of all the applicants that apply, most never return. This is good for us, in that it helps filter out those that really are not interested or have motivation for the open position. The exams are really basic and simple, hard to mess up. The reason for them though, is to help us measure applicants and their levels, so that we can determine the right training program for them, as there is alot to learn. The interview with so many staff members, helps to put extra stress on the applicant, so that we can measure the individuals ability to handle stressfull situations.

Not only does the amount of applicants drop, but so does the turn over rate. Generally, if you go through all this mess, you really do want to stick around and do top notch work.
                    Deputy Sheriff

Comment

I also wanted to add real quick, that we do prefer college type persons, even if they do not have a degree.. It shows us, the potential employer, that this person has goals to get ahead, and can think critically.
                      Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by Apolo
                        well glad I never applied with you guys, I never bring a pen, afraid it'll brake in my dockers and i'll get ink all over myself, I'd rather have to ask for a pen than to explain that , LOL
                        Actually the way you would handle that question could be a determination of whether or not you get hired.

Training, experience, attitude, appearance, are combinations of the things I look for.

Someone that has had firearms training but no actual armed carry time vs someone with less actual training but has "walked the walk" for 12 years?

The applicant that has been thru "THE" gun schools and lets everyone know how good he/she (PC you know) is vs the LOCAL tactical firearms class attendee that actually impressed the instructors?

The one showing up for an interview for a post at a up-scale clothing shoppe wearing jeans or the one in suit and tie?

Or...a combination of the best in each?

Comment

Originally posted by Mall Director
                          I also wanted to add real quick, that we do prefer college type persons, even if they do not have a degree.. It shows us, the potential employer, that this person has goals to get ahead, and can think critically.
                          After I was hired they told me that they like to hire two types of people, people in college or the military. College tells them yes that you have goals and can think critically. Military tells them that you have discipline and can take orders. It is true at my site all the people are in college or have their degree, or retired military personnel or reservist.
                          DizZy SO

Comment

Do you have alot less drama, and more serious co-workers because of this? From you point of view?
                            Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by Mall Director
                              Do you have alot less drama, and more serious co-workers because of this? From you point of view?
                              Everyone at my site gets along well for the most part, there are a few quirks but it is expected nothings perfect. The only drama is when the CCO has TNT on . Everyone does their job and we try have some laughs in the process. On my regular scheduled hours (1600-2400 wkends) we could use some drama to pass the time.
                              DizZy SO

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X