Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 Point Safety System

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share the 5ptSS with you and the concept of doing a 5x5.

The 5 Points...

1. Check the Entrance To The Place Of Work.
    2. Are Workplace & Equipment in Good Working Order?
    3. Are People Working Properly?
    4. Do An Act of Safety.
    5. Can, and will, people continue to work properly?

Now, how do you do a 5x5?

Step 1. STOP
    Step 2. Identify Hazards
    Step 3. Assess Risks
    Step 4. Action Plan
    Step 5. Resume Work

Now, some of you are asking, how does this apply to business management and security? Well, as you will see in the article I quoted at the end of this post, the 5PSS is a tool for Supervisors to check on their crews, and for workers as they travel to their workplace and do their assigned activities.

Applying this to security officers/supervisors/management outside of Mining: As part of their rounds, security officers should be checking the entrance to their workplace as they arrive and do their rounds throughout their shift. Is it slippery? Too much snow? Damaged Concrete/Cobble Stones creating a trip hazard?

Is their gear in good working order? Flashlight in good condition with fresh batteries and a bulb. Do you have spare batteries? If they carry a collapsible baton, is that baton lubricated and in proper working order? If they carry a firearm, is that firearm cleaned/oiled and functioning properly? If they do first aid, is their AED in working order? Oxygen supply sufficient and are the regulators working? Is the company vehicle in working order? Is their personal vehicle in working order before they leave the driveway?

Are people working properly? Are your officers working to standard and within their job description and doing their job safely? Are they driving recklessly in company vehicles or their POV on site? Are they actually looking for hazards while they do their patrols, or are they just looking for the next RFID Sticker/Detex Key? Are they watching the cameras and monitoring traffic on the site, or are they reading a Maxim with their feet up? Are they leaving the coffee maker or stove/hotplate on? Are they behaving in a manner which poses a risk to the client/their co-workers?

Do an act of safety; This can be as simple as housekeeping, airing up the tires on the vehicle, wearing the proper PPE, and practicing good communication. Or it can be something like stopping a co-worker and having them do a 5x5 before they do something.

5 POINT SAFETY SYSTEM

Who was Neil George?

Neil George (1908-1988) is a member of the Canadian Mining Hall of Fame and originator of the famous 5 Point Safety System. His safety system has helped contribute to improved mine safety not only in Canada, but around the mining world.

After graduating in 1936 with an engineering degree in mining, Neil George worked at INCO in Sudbury as a miner, stope leader,. shiftboss, Plant Safety Engineer and finally, as General Safety Engineer. He patiently crafted his Safety System based on his experience, and introduced it in 1942. Two years later, it was adopted at the Levack and Garson mines. The very next year, the Garson Mine won the John T. Ryan Trophy as the safest metal mine in all of Canada. Levack Mine won it for the next two years running.

In 1948, Neil George left INCO to accept a position as Director of Safety with the Western Quebec Mines Accident Prevention Association. In the twenty years up to his retirement in 1970, Quebec mines won the Ryan Trophy for metal mines a total of 17 times. The 5 Point Safety System is often known outside of Ontario as the "Neil George System". Today his system is being implemented with success in mines, across North America, Africa, Australia and now in South America.

The 5 Point Safety System, as the name indicates, is made up of five simple, but practical steps to follow. These steps are to be used by the supervisor as he checks on his work crews, and by the workers themselves as they travel to their workplace and conduct their assigned work activities

http://oldwebsite.laurentian.ca/engr...ASHA5POINT.htm
    World's Youngest Grumpy Old Man

AF&AM

Opinions expressed in my posts are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer, the client, or SIW Forums (unless specifically stated for moderation purposes)

I like it. Only thing I'd add is document. My department saved the co. from a lawsuit by a guy who fell on the stairs and claimed the lights (all of them, go figure) were out in the stairwell "for a month." Not true on either count, and we proved it.

If you work an urban site, picking up glass bottles in the alley is a safety act. I chided my supervisor for doing this, asking if he was the janitor. He smiled and said, "No, I'm picking up weapons." I got the point real quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
      I like it. Only thing I'd add is document. My department saved the co. from a lawsuit by a guy who fell on the stairs and claimed the lights (all of them, go figure) were out in the stairwell "for a month." Not true on either count, and we proved it.

If you work an urban site, picking up glass bottles in the alley is a safety act. I chided my supervisor for doing this, asking if he was the janitor. He smiled and said, "No, I'm picking up weapons." I got the point real quick.
      Hi Condo,

Your anecdote about the fallen individual brings me to another thing I didn't mention in my post, the 5 Point Safety Card, which contains check boxes beside all 5 points "1. Check Entrance to Workplace [] Yes [] No" etc. Inside the 5pt Card is a sectionin which workers can document a concern or a near miss, suggest how it can be dealt with, then the supervisor, safety manager and safety rep add their comments and John Hancocks...I'll see if I can post a picture of an example card.

Your supervisor is a wise man
      Attached Files
      Last edited by UnsupervisedCanadian; 01-03-2014, 01:16 AM. Reason: Add Redacted Pictures

AF&AM

Opinions expressed in my posts are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer, the client, or SIW Forums (unless specifically stated for moderation purposes)

Comment

biggest single factor in police officer safety is ALWAYS call in info like car's lic plate BEFORE 'making contact'.

I've noticed they always call in someone's name FIRST then 'make contact' if they get their name from a 3rd party, and will call in your name/DL etc as soon as they get it before "getting into it" about whatever reason for the 'contact'.

A few companies I've worked for required regular 'call in', mostly to make sure we weren't sleeping on duty is my guess.

However, "dispatch" wasn't too on the ball if someone didn't. I'd been working over a week at one place before they told me I was supposed to be calling in every 1/2 hour on the 15 and 45min marks.

I'd much rather have an automated (thus less fallible) system where you call in and give name and location etc over the phone to a voicemail, and 'the system' would log your particular ph# and alert a supervisor if you missed a call in, so if a guard gets knocked out or otherwise unable to call in they'd find out in an hour instead of when your relief(if any) shows up.

I'd also want real time GPS tracking of patrol vehicles and even 'stationary' warm bodies, and of course an "always on" smart phone cam able to be viewed by dispatch in real time. I think it would greatly deter attacks if a perp knows not only is he being recorded but an off site person is also monitoring the situation and ready to call police etc.

Seems like "Let someone know before you go" would be a big part of mine safety.

Comment

Drivel. Inaccurate drivel.

Comment

I will reply to the only part of Squid's post that made any sense to me. RE: "Let someone know before you go"

BY LAW, you can find an Ontario "Green Book" for Mines & Mining Plants and look it up, miners work alone MUST Call in EVERY 2 HOURS. If they don't, I put out a couple calls, if they don't respond to those, I send the shiftboss to their heading to check on them as per procedure. I know exactly who and where they are, because they call me and give me their Name, Heading, and Shifter's Name.
            Last edited by UnsupervisedCanadian; 02-04-2014, 06:01 AM. Reason: Added Response to Only Remark That Made Sense

AF&AM

Comment

Squids.

You do know your stuff.

Comment

Thought as much, but for all I know you could be an individual more knowledged than I in the field...It's a large field (mine security)

Anyways, back on topic....

AF&AM

Comment

But a very specific field. Don't sell yourself short. It's a combo of security/EMS/FF/Education/Safety/EM.

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
                    But a very specific field. Don't sell yourself short. It's a combo of security/EMS/FF/Education/Safety/EM.
                    Actually, it's everything but FF...Firefighting duties are handled by the local fire department for fires on surface and underground firefighting is done by Mine Rescue. But we are definitely a combo of Security/EMS/Safety/Education. Some mines train their guys to a higher level than others and some have better equipment than others, but our objectives are the same no matter what our equipment and paygrade. Miners going home.

AF&AM

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X