Security Company Owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Company Owners

Are there any members of this forum that own or manage contract security companies? Just curious!
    Richard Dickinson
    Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
    DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
    www.hrdickinson.com

I don't currently, but I used to be a co-owner of a company a few years ago. Did you have a particular question?
    Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
    Originally posted by ValleyOne
    BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
    Shoulda called in sick.
    Be safe!

Comment

I am afraid if I ever did own one it wouldn't make a living for me since my standards and training would be so high that the market wouldn't pay the rates I'd charge to provide that professionally chosen and trained force.
      "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Not quite an owner yet but, am putting a business plan together for start-up this fall in BC Canada.

Comment

Security Company Owners

Thanks for the replies! I really didn't have a specific question. I am curious, however. There's quite a bit of discussion in this forum about how officers are treated by their employers yet you never see any owners jumping in with any comments.
          Richard Dickinson
          Dickinson Security Management Group, LLC
          DSMG Provides a Variety of Software Products and Consulting Services to the Contract Security Industry
          www.hrdickinson.com

Comment

Originally posted by hrdickinson
            Thanks for the replies! I really didn't have a specific question. I am curious, however. There's quite a bit of discussion in this forum about how officers are treated by their employers yet you never see any owners jumping in with any comments.
            That's because the owners of most of the companies are too busy out on their yachts & whatnot..

When my former business partner and I started our company, we did everything we possibly could to make it good for our Officers.. He was just as fed up with the industry as we all are... Not only did he go out of his way to locate affordable benefits for our guys, but our starting wage for our most basic unarmed posts was over $10/hour... Of course, we also had more stringent requirements than most companies, and provided a lot more training...

All of our clients had great things to say about us, and we got great word-of-mouth exposure... But it wasn't enough to shoot business through the roof... We made the mistake of starting up in a city where clients had a choice of more than 30 different companies... Can we say, oversaturation?
            Corbier's Commandos - "Stickin it to the ninjas!"
            Originally posted by ValleyOne
            BANG, next thing you know Bob's your Uncle and this Sgt is seemingly out on his a$$.
            Shoulda called in sick.
            Be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by hrdickinson
              Go figure... Contract security reminds me of the airlines after deregulation. Instead of a meal, you MIGHT get some nuts and a half can of soda. Why? Bare bones pricing and plenty of competition. The same is true with most contract security. Undercutting competition at any cost results in substandard wages for the security employee, which translates in substandard service to the client. You get what you pay for.
              Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

I ran a few security companies up and down the sate of California. There is one thing that kills the industry, one thing that gives the industry a bad name, just one thing that forbids decent wages for most security officers. That one thing is.....

Low-down dirty security companies underbidding each other down to the penny. Instead of a market where you can bid a contract at a decent price and pay your officers OK, you have to fight down to the penny against sleaseball companies that hire non-English speaking guards and a lot don't even carry the right insurance.

Here in Southern California, if you wanted to pay an officer about $10 per hour and officer him/her some sort of benefits, you have to charge about $18-$20 per hour. There are sleaseball companies that bid in the $12 per hour range. I was underbid at one contract with a guy charging $10 per hour. At $10 per hour there is no way he could have paid the officer minimum wage, and pay workers-comp and liability insurance.

California has a very hard time regulating the security industry. There are plenty of good rules, but only about 7 people to enforce them through the entire state. A large amount of companies are not licensed or carry the required insurance.

California Security Blog
                Domain Registration Services

Comment

Originally posted by publicsafetyred
                  I ran a few security companies up and down the sate of California. There is one thing that kills the industry, one thing that gives the industry a bad name, just one thing that forbids decent wages for most security officers. That one thing is.....

Low-down dirty security companies underbidding each other down to the penny. Instead of a market where you can bid a contract at a decent price and pay your officers OK, you have to fight down to the penny against sleaseball companies that hire non-English speaking guards and a lot don't even carry the right insurance.

Here in Southern California, if you wanted to pay an officer about $10 per hour and officer him/her some sort of benefits, you have to charge about $18-$20 per hour. There are sleaseball companies that bid in the $12 per hour range. I was underbid at one contract with a guy charging $10 per hour. At $10 per hour there is no way he could have paid the officer minimum wage, and pay workers-comp and liability insurance.

California has a very hard time regulating the security industry. There are plenty of good rules, but only about 7 people to enforce them through the entire state. A large amount of companies are not licensed or carry the required insurance.
                  The average bid around here is $10-$14/hr. I was amused when someone said, "They're paying the guards at the courthouse 10 an hour." I'm like, "What's the total man hour rate?" $12.00 an hour. Yeah. Right. They're either underbidding to prevent the contract going somewhere else and absorbing the loss, or those guards are making $7-$8 an hour.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I'm starting my Private patrol soon[the exam is this wednesday]. Wish me luck guys.

Comment

Originally posted by publicsafetyred

Which leaves the honest companies the only choices of underbidding their contracts or going out of business.

There is the option of collecting all the information you can on the sleaseball company, enough to show that they are in violation of the state regulations, but then you have to get the state to see the problem and actually take action against the sleaseballs. That could take forever, if the state even does that much. Meanwhile it has earned the above-board company the hate on all the sleaseball companies (oh yeah, the word would get out).
                      "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

Originally posted by omni_blue
                        I'm starting my Private patrol soon[the exam is this wednesday]. Wish me luck guys.
                        For what state? And break a leg!

California Security Blog

Comment

^For state of california, city of sacramento.

For the record, I passed the exam this morning. When they were printing the test results it felt as though a doctor was about to announce my first born child. Nerve recking.

Thanks to everyone of wished me well.

Comment

Originally posted by omni_blue
                            ^For state of california, city of sacramento.

For the record, I passed the exam this morning. When they were printing the test results it felt as though a doctor was about to announce my first born child. Nerve recking.

Thanks to everyone of wished me well.
                            Congrats! I wish you the best. What names have you thaught of for your PPO?

California Security Blog

Comment

Congrats! I do not own, nor wish to own a Security Agency, as it has been stated, that the less moral operating Agencies do undercut the real deal Agencies. I do however work with a client, and manage a Regional Department of Security, with in Malls. It is a challenge, and I hope you do well!
                              Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X