Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "How To" Start A Security Company

Hello, first time long time!

I live in Florida (Miami-Dade County) and would like to open a Security / Investigation Service company, but don't know what steps to take! I have researched on this site, google and even yahoo but can't find the step by step brake down that I need, maybe someone on here can assist, thanks!

The area of my concerns are tax's, insurance, worker's comp, loans, grants, and creating a business plan.

Your local Small Business Association would be a big help in this area.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

The online Yellow Pages list 336 security guard and 202 PI firms serving Miami. I don't know whether this represents market saturation or not, but it illustrates the fact that the question isn't what "you'd like to do", but whether the market needs you. It's not impossible to enter a crowded marketplace, but you'll generally need to be better financed (than if it weren't saturated) because it will take you longer and cost you more in other ways before you will gain any traction.

I suggest you contact SCORE in Miami for business advice/training/workshops/etc. Here's their Web page: http://scoremiami.org/

Also look over the 90+ free short online business courses available from the Small Business Development Center of Kutztown University of Pennsylvania. Here's that link: http://www.kutztownsbdc.org/course_listing.asp
      Last edited by SecTrainer; 06-28-2011, 10:10 AM.
      "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
        The online Yellow Pages list 336 security guard and 202 PI firms serving Miami. I don't know whether this represents market saturation or not, but it illustrates the fact that the question isn't what "you'd like to do", but whether the market needs you. It's not impossible to enter a crowded marketplace, but you'll generally need to be better financed (than if it weren't saturated) because it will take you longer and cost you more in other ways before you will gain any traction.

I suggest you contact SCORE in Miami for business advice/training/workshops/etc. Here's their Web page: http://scoremiami.org/

Also look over the 90+ free short online business courses available from the Small Business Development Center of Kutztown University of Pennsylvania. Here's that link: http://www.kutztownsbdc.org/course_listing.asp
        I attended some of the classes Kutztown puts on - many are free (or $15. or less) and online.
        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

SecTrainer, Miami is a mess, that's why I live Homestead;

Most of the security companies in Miami have lously management, staff are untrained properly, really what you see are these mom and pop companies. I want to focus on training first, than go after small contracts, as for investigations, I would like to get contract with banks and insurance companies. Thank's for the links, I'll check them out!

Comment

Not to Hijack the thread but do any of the Mods, members know of same process requirements in CA. I already got my PPO license and don't know where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
            S/O 2000-2008
            Owner/qualified manager
            Prime Star Private Security
            In the process
            in getting private
            security company started

Comment

Originally posted by SecurityGuy View Post
              SecTrainer, Miami is a mess, that's why I live Homestead;

Most of the security companies in Miami have lously management, staff are untrained properly, really what you see are these mom and pop companies. I want to focus on training first, than go after small contracts, as for investigations, I would like to get contract with banks and insurance companies. Thank's for the links, I'll check them out!
              Before you bother with any of that!

You need a Class B license from the Division of Licensing for your company. That means you get to be dissected by a security guard insurance company. If you advertise that you are offering, or are going to offer services, without a license you are committing a crime.

To get this Class B license, you will need several things including insurance (about 300,000 dollars worth) and a Class M Licensee who will have direct management control over your guard force. You cannot give operational orders to your company employees if you don't have this M license, only business decisions.

Your Class M licensee needs several years of experience in private security or law enforcement.

Also, if you personally do not have a Class D guard license, you cannot work as a guard. If you do, you would work under your M manager licensee.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Long time no see...

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier View Post
                Before you bother with any of that!

You need a Class B license from the Division of Licensing for your company. That means you get to be dissected by a security guard insurance company. If you advertise that you are offering, or are going to offer services, without a license you are committing a crime.

To get this Class B license, you will need several things including insurance (about 300,000 dollars worth) and a Class M Licensee who will have direct management control over your guard force. You cannot give operational orders to your company employees if you don't have this M license, only business decisions.

Your Class M licensee needs several years of experience in private security or law enforcement.

Also, if you personally do not have a Class D guard license, you cannot work as a guard. If you do, you would work under your M manager licensee.
                ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

Originally posted by Minneapolis Security View Post
                  Long time no see...
                  I made a thread.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X