Branch office?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Branch office?

Was wondering how far can i conduct my security service before i need to have a branch office?
    And when do i have the right to do a drug test on my guards?
    Any help on these two topics will help thank you.

Vang

1. We can't answer your question about a branch office without knowing a lot about your operation - the specific services you provide, the geographic area you serve, etc. However, since adding a branch office creates additional overhead, you would logically only do so if and when it becomes necessary in order to maintain an appropriate degree of (a) customer contact/sales and/or (b) operational control. (Just as a matter of interest, you will find that there are some fairly large security companies that have surprisingly few branch offices.)

2. Drug testing is regulated by state law and differs from state to state. Generally speaking, the answer to your question is "Yes, you can test", but you need to consult the appropriate state agency where you operate, or your company legal counsel, to determine just what sort of testing is permitted, and under what circumstances.
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 05-30-2011, 04:36 AM.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

I'm just planning on opening a Private Security company these are just a few question i had just to be sure. Since I couldn't find any answer, and sorry for not being clear im trying to open one in the state of California. And im just planning on providing standing guard since im on a budget and going to be working from what i can do and deal with. Thanks.

Comment

In my experience... You may conduct trug tests as a condition of employment. If the prospective employe is forewarned that he is subject to drug testing, and he agree. You can conduct an initial drug test as a condition of hiring. The prospective employe may opt not to, and you may not hire him. Once hired you may ask the employee to agree that he may be tested in the event of an accident or shooting or some other specified event. You can also have random drug testing as a condition of employment. Lastly you may drug test an employe for cause.

This may vary some from state to state, but thats the basics. Another consideration would be the cost to you. Various level's of testing can get quite expensive. My advice would be to contact the administrator at a local lab that does drug testing. They will have probably done most of your leg work for you.

Spuk!

Comment

The advice to consult with counsel is doubly applicable in California. California law on drug testing is primarily case law (court rulings) rather than state statutes, and court rulings have generally been restrictive with regard to drug testing, not permissive. For instance, I believe that courts have ruled against random drug testing. You need reasonable suspicion that an employee is under the influence of a drug and you need to show that this impairs his abilities to perform his duties.

Further complicating the picture in California is that, in the absence of state statutes, various cities have passed their own statutes and these laws have been very restrictive (San Francisco, Berkley, etc.). I am sure you're not surprised to hear this.

Bottom line: Get a legal opinion before testing.
          "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X