Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple Q's

Hi,

Does anyone have a list of companies that still do hands on apprehensions? Please PM me w/ this info

Also, does anyone have tips on getting hired? It seems like these stores list all their positions but never follow through on the online applications. I've attempted to get in contact with the LP managers with no luck.

Thanks!
    Last edited by tacscuba; 03-05-2009, 10:54 AM.
    If you fail to plan, plan to fail.

"People look to you to dig them out of life threatening dung - that is an awesome responsibility and should be honoured with your blood and sweat in preparation for the day when you may have to work very hard to save someone you might not even know or like. If you are terrible at your job, somebody gets blinded/maimed/disfigured or killed."-Slack

Originally posted by tacscuba View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone have a list of companies that still do hands on apprehensions?Also, does anyone have tips on getting hired? It seems like these stores list all their positions but never follow through on the online applications. I've attempted to get in contact with the LP managers with no luck.

Thanks!
    Please do not post any information on whether or not stores have in-store LP or if they still do "hands-on" apprehensions. If someone wants to share - please do it in a PM. Thanks much.

I'm going "fishing" - be back next week some time.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
      Please do not post any information on whether or not stores have in-store LP or if they still do "hands-on" apprehensions. If someone wants to share - please do it in a PM. Thanks much.

I'm going "fishing" - be back next week some time.
      This is a very good point especially for the safety for the stores.

Comment

I think the term "hands-on" is a bit misleading too. In all reality every company won't let you get "physical" without it being 100% necessary. Very few companies have a "hands-off" approach. Those that do typically concentrate on internal loss and non-theft related shrink.

Anyhow, why would anyone want to get "hands-on"? I've been there done that and it sucks. I don't care what company policies state, it's too damn risky (aside from the obvious physical risks). I worked in a career field where going "hands-on" was a regular thing and one day it bit me in the ass. I was out of work for a month and a half recuperating from the injuries and when I got back I got fired because they didn't think I followed policy (that's a story for another time and place, but let me say my life and another was in danger, we did what we had to do).

"Hands-on" sucks. If the Bad Guy starts getting aggressive, let 'em go. It's not worth it. I'll only fight if myself or someone else is being attacked.

People should be looking for companies that will allow them to learn a variety in Loss Prevention. There's a whole lot more too it than just catching shop lifters. Sure having a "hands-on" company and carrying a badge is cool, but where will you be in 5, 10, 20 years? Personally I'd like to be a corporate exec. earning 6 figures and dealing with the more intellectual side of LP, than still walking the floor pretending to be a customer to nab boosters and stupid kids with sticky fingers.

Comment

I want hands on because I'm tired of not being able to do anything at my current job, I've had to let shoplifters go just because they wouldn't stop when we asked them to. I don't mean "hands on" as in I want a fight everyday, I mean "hands on" as I can actually STOP people.

And in 5 years I'll be a police officer, so I'm not worried about that.

Originally posted by Gilli View Post
          I think the term "hands-on" is a bit misleading too. In all reality every company won't let you get "physical" without it being 100% necessary. Very few companies have a "hands-off" approach. Those that do typically concentrate on internal loss and non-theft related shrink.

Anyhow, why would anyone want to get "hands-on"? I've been there done that and it sucks. I don't care what company policies state, it's too damn risky (aside from the obvious physical risks). I worked in a career field where going "hands-on" was a regular thing and one day it bit me in the ass. I was out of work for a month and a half recuperating from the injuries and when I got back I got fired because they didn't think I followed policy (that's a story for another time and place, but let me say my life and another was in danger, we did what we had to do).

"Hands-on" sucks. If the Bad Guy starts getting aggressive, let 'em go. It's not worth it. I'll only fight if myself or someone else is being attacked.

People should be looking for companies that will allow them to learn a variety in Loss Prevention. There's a whole lot more too it than just catching shop lifters. Sure having a "hands-on" company and carrying a badge is cool, but where will you be in 5, 10, 20 years? Personally I'd like to be a corporate exec. earning 6 figures and dealing with the more intellectual side of LP, than still walking the floor pretending to be a customer to nab boosters and stupid kids with sticky fingers.

"People look to you to dig them out of life threatening dung - that is an awesome responsibility and should be honoured with your blood and sweat in preparation for the day when you may have to work very hard to save someone you might not even know or like. If you are terrible at your job, somebody gets blinded/maimed/disfigured or killed."-Slack

Comment

I want hands on because I'm tired of not being able to do anything at my current job, I've had to let shoplifters go just because they wouldn't stop when we asked them to. I don't mean "hands on" as in I want a fight everyday, I mean "hands on" as I can actually STOP people.

And in 5 years I'll be a police officer, so I'm not worried about that.
            Be careful with that mentality. I'm living breathing proof that you can be fired for doing your job.

Comment

It seems clients and security contract companies want you to take risk but do not want to give you the tools to protect yourself or others. Myself personally, after being in this type of work for so long I do not like hands-on (if that is what you want to call it) environments. You are not given or allowed to carry the proper gear not to mention risk of injury, lawsuits, and job loss (as one member has already posted about). In addition, clients or contract companies do not want to support you when you have to go to court. You are basically on your own.

To me, for what I am paid, the liability issue, the risk of injury, and the non-support from either the client or the contract security company I think I will pass. I have done this work for too long. I take as little risk in all areas as much as I can.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Acer View Post
                It seems clients and security contract companies want you to take risk but do not want to give you the tools to protect yourself or others. Myself personally, after being in this type of work for so long I do not like hands-on (if that is what you want to call it) environments. You are not given or allowed to carry the proper gear not to mention risk of injury, lawsuits, and job loss (as one member has already posted about). In addition, clients or contract companies do not want to support you when you have to go to court. You are basically on your own.

To me, for what I am paid, the liability issue, the risk of injury, and the non-support from either the client or the contract security company I think I will pass. I have done this work for too long. I take as little risk in all areas as much as I can.
                Hoorah!1234567890

Comment

I'm a pretty big supporter of hands-on loss prevention policies. Although I do understand the whole safety issue, I think it's like anything else. If you can't deal with it, then loss prevention isn't the job for you.

If your company expects you to go to the end of the earth apprehending somebody, go get a job someplace else instead of not doing your job.

Comment

Be careful with that mentality. I'm living breathing proof that you can be fired for doing your job.
                    What mentality?

Comment

What mentality?
                      Thinking that just because you become a cop (and in 5 years, jeez what's with the length of time?) means that you'll have actual authority. When you tell people to stop and they actually do. That you'll be able to use force to effect an arrest. Etc Etc.

Just don't think that being a cop will free you up from any restrictions, if anything it typically adds restrictions that you'd never think of.

Comment

Honestly, when you make it personal you are asking for trouble. Many of the vids you see of cops beating citizens started out by the cop making/taking it personal.
                        Washington DC

Comment

Originally posted by Nauticus View Post
                          If your company expects you to go to the end of the earth apprehending somebody, go get a job someplace else instead of not doing your job.
                          I agree with you 100%.

I used to do that type of work and realized one day that what I was doing was insane (at least to me it was) and no longer take those types of posts.

Let me say though, I do not have a problem with people that would like to do hands-on work, to me though, it is just way to risky.
                          sigpic

Comment

Thinking that just because you become a cop (and in 5 years, jeez what's with the length of time?) means that you'll have actual authority. When you tell people to stop and they actually do. That you'll be able to use force to effect an arrest. Etc Etc.

Just don't think that being a cop will free you up from any restrictions, if anything it typically adds restrictions that you'd never think of.
                            I wasn't referring to the fact that I'm not worried about being able to do what ever I want, believe me, I'm very familiar with the restrictions put on police. I was referring to your first post. I mean I will be a police officer so I don't have to worry about still walking the floor in 5 years.

Anyway, thanks for the info guys

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X