best way to get into loss prevention/asset protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best way to get into loss prevention/asset protection

you all know your stuff so I thought Id ask this here .love this website. some great info here.

I am wanting to get into loss prevention. my background is mainly security as a security officer and field supervisor as well as a supervisor in retail for a short time. I have been applying for open jobs for awhile and have yet to get a call back. what would I need to do to get into this area of the field.

on a side note in Florida a company that offers loss prevention services do they need a security or pi agency license. I ask this since I have seen security and PI compaany offering this service with only holding one of the license.

thank you for your time and hope you have a good day
    Last edited by jknott; 12-28-2008, 03:50 PM.

There should be a guy named Curtis/Curt that will respond, send him your resume. He is god like at resume help.

And mostly everyone here will agree that retail experience is better than security experience for LP...well to my understanding anyway.

Comment

Like Brando said, and Retail experience is a plus. I have experience in housing, cp, night club(where I had the most troubles) and mall security, and my boss looked mainly at the retail, it's a whole different game learning how to look like a customer not a guard(which can be easier for some than others). Best of luck to you jknott!
      Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

When I was the head of the Loss Prevention department in a very well known chain of retail stores, I preferred employees who have had experience working in a retail store prior to loss prevention, but they also had to know the law backwards and forwards, and they have to have had experience going "hands-on" with a resisting person (security helps). I also like it if they have previous LP experience, or if they have done training/courses in investigation or in loss prevention.

Comment

For building my team I always require retail experience. I prefer to stay away from security guard experience for I have had many bad experiences with LP personnel with security guard experience. I really think that to grow and do well in this industry they need to lose the security guard mindset.
          http://lpview.com - A community for loss prevention professionals

Comment

Originally posted by phatm1ke View Post
            For building my team I always require retail experience. I prefer to stay away from security guard experience for I have had many bad experiences with LP personnel with security guard experience. I really think that to grow and do well in this industry they need to lose the security guard mindset.
            I've had the opposite experiences. Although I wouldn't just hire somebody because they used to be a security officer, some of the better LPOs we had were previously security. The advantage they bring is their knowledge of security (because, where I worked, security was also the job of the Loss Prevention department), and so few actual LPOs are security minded (in my experiences).

Comment

Originally posted by Nauticus View Post
              I've had the opposite experiences. Although I wouldn't just hire somebody because they used to be a security officer, some of the better LPOs we had were previously security. The advantage they bring is their knowledge of security (because, where I worked, security was also the job of the Loss Prevention department), and so few actual LPOs are security minded (in my experiences).
              I have found that when filling entry level positions, hiring people with no experience works best. It's very difficult to change learned bad habits like, at X company we were taught to do it this way.
              Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
              Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                I have found that when filling entry level positions, hiring people with no experience works best. It's very difficult to change learned bad habits like, at X company we were taught to do it this way.
                I'm going to agree with you there.

With time, you can make a loss prevention officer. But it's next to impossible to re-teach one.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X