Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many LPO's are allowed to carry any kind of weapon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many LPO's are allowed to carry any kind of weapon?

Hello I am new here. Been doing Retail Loss Prevention for approx 2 years now. Before that I was doing Uniformed protection services at a large hospital in Calgary Alberta Canada. I came in to LP with no experience in LP but have now moved up to one of there head Investigators for Alberta.

My question is:
    Do many LPO’s in the U.S.A carry any kind of weapon such as, side arm pistol, ASP baton, Focused Energy weapon, OC Spray/ MACE/pepper spray?

The reason I ask is because when people in my store find out the we LP’s don’t carry any weapons besides cuffs and gloves they always seem so shocked. Not that I would like to carry a weapon as I have never had to use one or and force other then my hands and feet. I always say never use a weapon your not prepared to have used on your self.

But I was wondering if LP’s in the U.S.A do, I have heard that Target allows this.
    Any thoughts?

-TACTICAL

“No sacrifice No victory “ – Sir Winston Churchill
    -TACTICAL

“No sacrifice, no victory”- Sir Winston Churchill

No weapons that I'm aware of. I do know that where I used to work, we were told that carrying anything other than cuffs would result in an automatic promotion to customer Not sure what Target LP's are allowed to carry either..........
    "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Originally posted by TACTICAL 785 View Post
      Hello I am new here. Been doing Retail Loss Prevention for approx 2 years now. Before that I was doing Uniformed protection services at a large hospital in Calgary Alberta Canada. I came in to LP with no experience in LP but have now moved up to one of there head Investigators for Alberta.

My question is:
      Do many LPO’s in the U.S.A carry any kind of weapon such as, side arm pistol, ASP baton, Focused Energy weapon, OC Spray/ MACE/pepper spray?

The reason I ask is because when people in my store find out the we LP’s don’t carry any weapons besides cuffs and gloves they always seem so shocked. Not that I would like to carry a weapon as I have never had to use one or and force other then my hands and feet. I always say never use a weapon your not prepared to have used on your self.

But I was wondering if LP’s in the U.S.A do, I have heard that Target allows this. Any thoughts?

-TACTICAL

“No sacrifice No victory “ – Sir Winston Churchill
      Where did you hear that?
      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
      Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Response

Response

I have heard that target dose this through other LPO’s I also recall seeing a video on YouTube of what I thought was a Target LPO but I have no evidence to prove this where he was caring a side arm for all I know, it could have been a plane cloths Police officer.

I could very well be wrong as this has happened once or twice in the past lol… I was just wondering what other stores in the world do. I personally don’t see a use for a weapon. My cuffs and gloves works just fine I don’t get paid enough to get hurt by a weapon lol
        -TACTICAL

Comment

Target has a very strict no employee weapons (including LP) policy.

I once inherited an LP department that carried firearms on company property. The very first thing I did was to change the policy banning the practice. Not only from the obvious issues, it saved the company over $300,000 in insurance premiums.

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

I worked for one company where I worked as a supervisor on armed contracts and LP plainclothes at the same time. They allowed me to carry full armed on the uniformed gigs and OC, Baton and/or X26 taser on the plainclothes LP gigs. Only 3 of us in the whole company worked semi armed for LP and the other 2 were manager level and above. I had been with the company for more than 6 months before they even started training me with any weapons.
            I have heard that Fred Meyer's LP in Seattle, WA area can carry foam OC with LP manager and store manager approval but not sure on the accuracy of that.
            Bartell drugs has been pushing to get their guys the new C2 tasers but last I heard the brass over there was still holding off on the idea until someone else does it.

Comment

I always say never use a weapon your not prepared to have used on your self.
              I guess you're screwed in a deadly force scenario then.

Comment

mmmmm good

Originally posted by LPGuy View Post
                I guess you're screwed in a deadly force scenario then.
                Are you kidding I am BATMAN... and by BATMAN I really mean TACTICAL, and by that I MEAN I can ran away faster then you think....

If I was a COP I would have no issue, I would be Prepared to have the weapons used on me. I am an LPO and I clearly don’t get paid enough to put my life on the line for some stupid merch. That’s just me up in CANADA talken EH
                -TACTICAL

Comment

Are you kidding I am BATMAN... and by BATMAN I really mean TACTICAL, and by that I MEAN I can ran away faster then you think....

If I was a COP I would have no issue, I would be Prepared to have the weapons used on me. I am an LPO and I clearly don’t get paid enough to put my life on the line for some stupid merch. That’s just me up in CANADA talken EH
                  How's that? How would you prepare for a weapon to be used on you.

Comment

Its easy in my mind

I think it simple in my mind.
                    I don’t know I maybe off in my thinking.
                    If you’re a Police officer, you have an understanding that the worst CAN happen, and you should be mentally prepared to deal with that situation SHOULD I arise
                    ( god forbid it ever dose) So that’s one form of being prepared in my mind.
                    Also Police officers in most places ( I know in my city they are) given equipment to help be more prepared in the event that they have to use deadly force or deadly force is being used towards them. Such as the Ballistics’ vest, and there own side arm.

Me in my situation, I would only ever use a form of deadly force if I was absolutely required to do so. As an LPO, I shouldn’t get my self in to a situation where I may be at risk to be killed or maimed.
                    The company I work for has a strict DISENGAGMENT policy.
                    If the situation becomes to violent, or the risk is to high for you (the LPO ) to ensure the protection and safety of not only your self but fellow staff who made outside the building, or the surrounding public, we are to disengage.

In other terms, I wouldn’t bring say a Knife to work, because I don’t have the equipment (other then gloves) to deal with that knife if it ever should be taken away from me. I don’t wear a stab vest, and haven’t been formally trained in disarming techniques. I don’t know if I am making sense or not. Mostly that just stems from some advice my Grandfather gave me when I was younger.

-TACTICAL
                    -TACTICAL

Comment

Oops

And more onto it. LOL

I would have no issue with having the less than lethal used on me if I was a cop.
                      Such as the Focused energy weapon, Baton, MAC/ OC / Pepper spray’s.

Actually I would welcome the chance to see how affective they are. Some people call me odd because of this. Even in P.P.C.T and or Tactical cuff training I tell my partner to do it as if they were taking down a person who they were arresting. Is that odd? No I don’t think so I think you need to know how it feels to use it properly.

My thoughts anyway… maybe I am off my rocker eh?

-TACTICAL
                      -TACTICAL

Comment

And more onto it. LOL

I would have no issue with having the less than lethal used on me if I was a cop.
                        Such as the Focused energy weapon, Baton, MAC/ OC / Pepper spray’s.

Actually I would welcome the chance to see how affective they are. Some people call me odd because of this. Even in P.P.C.T and or Tactical cuff training I tell my partner to do it as if they were taking down a person who they were arresting. Is that odd? No I don’t think so I think you need to know how it feels to use it properly.

My thoughts anyway… maybe I am off my rocker eh?

-TACTICAL
                        No, I agree with that. We're all just contemplating how your philosophy relates to deadly force.

Comment

Best thing you've said so far.
                          "I don't do judgment. Just retrieval."

"The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it."

Comment

Its ture

I just think its funny when I get these NOOBS coming in, and there all COWBOY get up and go. And I have to remind them that YES our job is to prevent LOSS to the company, but don’t be jump into cars or on top of cars, or trying to fight a guy with a knife as its just not worth it lol…
                            -TACTICAL

Comment

In most states it is against the law to draw a gun in a property theft situation.
                              Most LP guys are only hired to deter property theft. If someone did pull a weapon on an LP then his reaction if he pulled a gun would not be in accordance to his mission and there fore would be on his own to protect himself. If his company does not have armed employee insurance and he wasted someone then his butt would be hanging in the wind on his own. Most companies that hire LPs do not want or expect armed confrontation where innocent customers could be killed accidentally by an agent of the company.
                              Last edited by Chucky; 07-24-2008, 08:50 AM.
                              THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
                              THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
                              http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X