Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    Sounds like the three or four that attacked to retired Marines and had to be taken to the hospital, especially the one who got a cheap flying lesson.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    We had an exit greeter in Garden attacked by a juvenile. She was 67 year old. They needed to take the juvenile to the hospital, she counter attacked "fearing for her life" with her issued box cutter. Justified, too. The kid was armed with pruning shears....................
    Sounds like that kid received some 'Geriatric Justice.' Can't blame the greeter for defending herself.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    Well, it happened. A 75 year-old greeter stopped a man w/ a TV as he was walking out of the store and asked to see his receipt. The man threw the TV at the greeter, injuring him.
    We had an exit greeter in Garden attacked by a juvenile. She was 67 year old. They needed to take the juvenile to the hospital, she counter attacked "fearing for her life" with her issued box cutter. Justified, too. The kid was armed with pruning shears.

That was great fun, oh yes. There were no loss prevention associates in the store, and none of the assistants were LP trained yet. One of em got the bright idea, "Well, he knows what he's doing."

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Most of us have seen the elderly or disabled individuals that Wal*Mart often uses to greet customers near the front of their stores. Recently, I observed a group pass through the security tower and set off the alarm. After the elderly greeter finished checking with the shoppers to find out why the alarm sounded, I asked her if she is expected to confront people who set off the alarm when leaving. She affirmed that it is part of her job. In fact, she once chased after a shopper who had stolen thousands, for which she was rightly reprimanded. Still, it concerns me that she is expected to confront potential shoplifters by herself. I explained that I am a licensed s/o and would not want to confront anyone w/o back up. I advised her to be careful and at least not stand between the person and their escape route in case they bolt.

Does anyone else see the potential for serious injury here? I don't agree with their policy. What do you think?
    Well, it happened. A 75 year-old greeter stopped a man w/ a TV as he was walking out of the store and asked to see his receipt. The man threw the TV at the greeter, injuring him.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by born_2_code
    hehe, lol --------------------
    Interesting post. Care to elaborate?

Leave a comment:

• born_2_code
    replied
    hehe, lol --------------------

Leave a comment:

• Tyco
    replied
    Im with Wal-Mart in Ontario as LP.
    Here they always back us up when the need to handcuff and fight arises.
    They also back us up if we decide not to engage and call 911 if we feel it can become violent.
    And no nothing to do with ADT. Nickname from highschool

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    By the way Tyco, where are you located? Does Tyco have anything to do with the parent company of ADT?

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    I can confirm that the Quebec people do not. Last fall the Canadian president came to the hotel for a meeting. The Security Director from head office came. He was very security conscious, I've had politians come to the hotels with less security precautions. Being in Quebec they needed French speaking staff so they pulled some of their LP people from nearby stores. I spoke to them & was told about the policy. Apparently it has something to do with their : . using handcuffs makes them look unfriendly :

Leave a comment:

• Tyco
    replied
    No there is no law forbiding it. Wal-Mart Canada is split into regions. Quebec to the East is Region 1. Ontario is Region#2, and the Rest of Canada is #3.
    For some reason (who knws why)Region#1 does not allow it (regional policy not comapny). I was at those meetings andtalked to Quebec LP. I was shocked when he told me he was not allowed to carry them. But he did say they were going to be changing it as the regional lp manager is new.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    Originally posted by Tyco
    Wal-Mart Canada does allow the use of handcuff provided proper training. The Quebec region however does not allow it. So any LP in Canada is allowed to carry/use cuffs except in Quebvec
    I believe it would be a Wal-Mart policy. There is no LAW not allowing Security to carry/use cuffs in Quebec. At least I hope there isn't. I've been carrying/using them for almost 30 years in Montreal

Leave a comment:

• Tyco
    replied
    Wal-Mart Canada does allow the use of handcuff provided proper training. The Quebec region however does not allow it. So any LP in Canada is allowed to carry/use cuffs except in Quebvec

Leave a comment:

• aka Bull
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    I once yelled at an assistant manager and two stockers who tried to follow a suspect to his car. They tried the "pull him out." The man's solution was similar, he backed up and sped out.

None of them realized what they were doing. One of them was like, 'Well, why didn't you stop him?' Because even with body armor, tools, and a firearm on, that car isn't going to stop for me. Even if I shoot the driver, the car isn't going to stop for me.
    And there you have it. One wonders what the heck they were thinking? Putting your personal safety/health/life on the line at that point to save the company their cost (not the retail cost) of a few dollars possibly. Regardless of whether the individual allegedly stole $1.00 worth of goods, or $1000.00, there comes a point when you pull up short and just get all the information you can - safely - and file a report with the PD.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Exactly the problem I'm concerned about. Thanks for the link, T202.
    I once yelled at an assistant manager and two stockers who tried to follow a suspect to his car. They tried the "pull him out." The man's solution was similar, he backed up and sped out.

None of them realized what they were doing. One of them was like, 'Well, why didn't you stop him?' Because even with body armor, tools, and a firearm on, that car isn't going to stop for me. Even if I shoot the driver, the car isn't going to stop for me.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by T202
    This is old news but it is on topic.

http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap...y.asp?ID=61453
    Exactly the problem I'm concerned about. Thanks for the link, T202.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X