• T202
    replied
    This is old news but it is on topic.

http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap...y.asp?ID=61453

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    When I worked for Walmart, the "entrance greeter" was not a loss prevention position. However, the "exit greeter" was an LP position. They're not there to greet you as you leave. They're there to check bags, monitor the EAS system, utilize the hand EAS scanners, log activations into the log, and engage shoplifters at the point of sale.

We used elderly greeters for another reason, touching one is felony battery. I disagreed with this, but the greeters knew that they were in potential danger, and made a "personal decision" to work that post.

Much like you do when you work an unarmed post in the hood without a duty belt.
    Apparently, at least at our Wal*Mart, they are on the 'two-for-one' program since she was doing both. At any rate, I don't think she appreciated the degree of danger she is being exposed to until I spoke to her about it. One good push resulting in a broken hip might give the prosecutor a felony charge to work with, but it isn't going to help her any. I doubt if Wal*Mart will be at her bedside if it happens.

Leave a comment:

• Bill Warnock
    replied
    There was a retired gunny and LTC working as greeters. Some young thugs thought they could take them on. One pulled a knife and wound up with a broken arm. Another took a swing at the LTC and found to his amazement he could actually fly albeit a short distance. The other two took off and ran smack into the county police and actually asked for protection from those "horrible old men."
    That happened just after I had staples removed from bladder surgery. I was laughing so hard when the gunny described it to us "younger" folks, my wife had to get some dressing sponges to stop the seepage.
    That was fun to listen to and mentally picture those "horrible old men" in action.
    Enjoy the day,
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    When I worked for Walmart, the "entrance greeter" was not a loss prevention position. However, the "exit greeter" was an LP position. They're not there to greet you as you leave. They're there to check bags, monitor the EAS system, utilize the hand EAS scanners, log activations into the log, and engage shoplifters at the point of sale.

We used elderly greeters for another reason, touching one is felony battery. I disagreed with this, but the greeters knew that they were in potential danger, and made a "personal decision" to work that post.

Much like you do when you work an unarmed post in the hood without a duty belt.

Leave a comment:

• aka Bull
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr. Security
    ...Does anyone else see the potential for serious injury here? I don't agree with their policy. What do you think?
    Honestly, it would only be a matter of time before one of them gets seriously hurt. Wait until one of the greeters runs head on into a well-organized shoplifting crew.

It would seem to be in the better interests of Walmart to simply teach these people to politely ask if they can determine why the alarm went off, and if they are refused they should do no more than be able to give a good description of the individual(s) and, if possible, watch from a safe distance to be able to record vehicle information. All of this information could then be turned over to local authorities.

The idea that these older and untrained people should be at the entrances with one aspect of their job to be preventing theft from the store is a bit crazy. While the honest folks setting off the alarm will themselves feel surprise, they also aren't going to cause a problem, usually, since they know they've made legal purchases.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Greeters being used as LPO contact?

Most of us have seen the elderly or disabled individuals that Wal*Mart often uses to greet customers near the front of their stores. Recently, I observed a group pass through the security tower and set off the alarm. After the elderly greeter finished checking with the shoppers to find out why the alarm sounded, I asked her if she is expected to confront people who set off the alarm when leaving. She affirmed that it is part of her job. In fact, she once chased after a shopper who had stolen thousands, for which she was rightly reprimanded. Still, it concerns me that she is expected to confront potential shoplifters by herself. I explained that I am a licensed s/o and would not want to confront anyone w/o back up. I advised her to be careful and at least not stand between the person and their escape route in case they bolt.

Does anyone else see the potential for serious injury here? I don't agree with their policy. What do you think?

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Security
    replied
    Wal*Mart wins again.

Another shoplifter thought he could use his 5-finger discount at our local store. I happened to be there when he was cuffed & stuffed. Another one bites the dust...

Leave a comment:

• Big Bulldog
    replied
    Last edited by Big Bulldog; 05-12-2006, 11:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• WMISLP
    replied
    wal-mart Asset Protections - New title

Yes we do have a very strong working relationship with local law enforcement. I try to have all of the reports done before you the PD gets there. Everything from the incident report to statements and the ticket. As for the person that stated he has a buddie that is a MAPM from wal-mart, I am an ISLP hints LP and I am fully aware whats going on b/c I am in the middle of the entrie mess. I am not trying to be arguementive but trust me I am aware of all the facts.

Leave a comment:

• darrell
    replied
    My buddy is the district MGR for LP's. I can call and ask him what he knows and let you guys know whats happening.

I used to work at the mall with him..

Leave a comment:

• T202
    replied
    The police department I worked for and Wal-Mart had a very good working relationship. They would call and advise that they had someone for retail fraud. By the time we got there, they had the stolen property photographed, a written report done and a statement from the suspect. Their information and report gave us plenty of probable cause to make the arrest and lodge him/her.
    I never had a bad experience with Wal-Mart LP.

Leave a comment:

• WMISLP
    replied
    Wal-Mart Asset Protections - New title

Well we are still prosecuting adults but the amount has to be over 25.00 or they have to flee, fight or have no forms of valid ID. As for the juveniles we don't prosecute anymore unless they are a repeat offender. So most of our new focus is geared towards the internal aspects of things. As for Wal-Mart in Canada I have no idea what rules they operate under. But here in the states we carry handcuffs and most everything is the same.

Leave a comment:

• nyspo
    replied
    Originally posted by WMISLP
    I am a APA (Asset Protections Assc.) for a wal-mart in kansas. Yes we are going through some changes. As far as our policies nothing has really changed. We have added a salaired position called the Asset Proctection Corrdiator. We still have plain clothes floor walkers and we still carry handcuffs and we DO NOT have badges. We have a Wal-Mart ID stating who we are with a picture. That ID is required to be shown at the time of every apprehension if the situation warrants or doesn't go south, if you know what I mean. When you are hired by Wal-Mart as an APA or old ter ISLP you complete OJT with a trainer in the LP dept. and then you are signed off once you can catch one, clean it and fry it on your own. Most training phases take about 2weeks. I have never been to any classes at the home office in Bentonville, so where that came from I have no idea. The local police dept conducts handcuff training and once that is completed a form is filled out by your DLPS or MAPM as they are called now and placed in your personal file and sent to the home office. As far the the store manager making stops, the asst-mgr's, support mgrs and APA's are all authorized assc's to make apprehensions. So don't be fooled by what you hear out there. We are still here and still kicking ass. If you have anymore questions about the break down of the re-structuring of the LP department, please feel free to ask me. And yes we will be hiring again but it won't be until after all of APC's are in place and working out all of the kinks.

well thank you for the info.....i have ben trying to get in to wam-mart LP dept for months now ......i even have a IN my mom is a asst. store manager ..... and i still have to wait....lol

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Sounds like the "soft loss" vs. "hard loss" concept. Its a worse loss the the store to take a visibly elderly person into custody for shoplifting than it is for the shoplifter to steal items, unless the elderly person is a felon or professional shoplifter.

Same with children under the age of 10. In Florida, they weren't prosecutable anyway.

Leave a comment:

• HotelSecurity
    replied
    I recently had dealings with the Loss Prevention department from the head office of Wal-Mart Canada. They had a large meeting in my hotel & the President attended. I was very impressed with their head office security. Not so much with the system they use in the stores.They sent some of their local LP people to work at the meeing. I spoke to them & was told that it was against Wal-Mart Canada's policy for them to carry handcuffs. It was against the Wal-Mart image.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X