Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Walmart Lp Dept's

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Greeters being used as LPO contact?

    Most of us have seen the elderly or disabled individuals that Wal*Mart often uses to greet customers near the front of their stores. Recently, I observed a group pass through the security tower and set off the alarm. After the elderly greeter finished checking with the shoppers to find out why the alarm sounded, I asked her if she is expected to confront people who set off the alarm when leaving. She affirmed that it is part of her job. In fact, she once chased after a shopper who had stolen thousands, for which she was rightly reprimanded. Still, it concerns me that she is expected to confront potential shoplifters by herself. I explained that I am a licensed s/o and would not want to confront anyone w/o back up. I advised her to be careful and at least not stand between the person and their escape route in case they bolt.

    Does anyone else see the potential for serious injury here? I don't agree with their policy. What do you think?
    Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Mr. Security
      ...Does anyone else see the potential for serious injury here? I don't agree with their policy. What do you think?
      Honestly, it would only be a matter of time before one of them gets seriously hurt. Wait until one of the greeters runs head on into a well-organized shoplifting crew.

      It would seem to be in the better interests of Walmart to simply teach these people to politely ask if they can determine why the alarm went off, and if they are refused they should do no more than be able to give a good description of the individual(s) and, if possible, watch from a safe distance to be able to record vehicle information. All of this information could then be turned over to local authorities.

      The idea that these older and untrained people should be at the entrances with one aspect of their job to be preventing theft from the store is a bit crazy. While the honest folks setting off the alarm will themselves feel surprise, they also aren't going to cause a problem, usually, since they know they've made legal purchases.
      "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

      Comment


      • #18
        When I worked for Walmart, the "entrance greeter" was not a loss prevention position. However, the "exit greeter" was an LP position. They're not there to greet you as you leave. They're there to check bags, monitor the EAS system, utilize the hand EAS scanners, log activations into the log, and engage shoplifters at the point of sale.

        We used elderly greeters for another reason, touching one is felony battery. I disagreed with this, but the greeters knew that they were in potential danger, and made a "personal decision" to work that post.

        Much like you do when you work an unarmed post in the hood without a duty belt.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

        "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

        Comment


        • #19
          There was a retired gunny and LTC working as greeters. Some young thugs thought they could take them on. One pulled a knife and wound up with a broken arm. Another took a swing at the LTC and found to his amazement he could actually fly albeit a short distance. The other two took off and ran smack into the county police and actually asked for protection from those "horrible old men."
          That happened just after I had staples removed from bladder surgery. I was laughing so hard when the gunny described it to us "younger" folks, my wife had to get some dressing sponges to stop the seepage.
          That was fun to listen to and mentally picture those "horrible old men" in action.
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
            When I worked for Walmart, the "entrance greeter" was not a loss prevention position. However, the "exit greeter" was an LP position. They're not there to greet you as you leave. They're there to check bags, monitor the EAS system, utilize the hand EAS scanners, log activations into the log, and engage shoplifters at the point of sale.

            We used elderly greeters for another reason, touching one is felony battery. I disagreed with this, but the greeters knew that they were in potential danger, and made a "personal decision" to work that post.

            Much like you do when you work an unarmed post in the hood without a duty belt.
            Apparently, at least at our Wal*Mart, they are on the 'two-for-one' program since she was doing both. At any rate, I don't think she appreciated the degree of danger she is being exposed to until I spoke to her about it. One good push resulting in a broken hip might give the prosecutor a felony charge to work with, but it isn't going to help her any. I doubt if Wal*Mart will be at her bedside if it happens.
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

            Comment


            • #21
              This is old news but it is on topic.

              http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap...y.asp?ID=61453

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by T202
                This is old news but it is on topic.

                http://www.accessnorthga.com/news/ap...y.asp?ID=61453
                Exactly the problem I'm concerned about. Thanks for the link, T202.
                Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Mr. Security
                  Exactly the problem I'm concerned about. Thanks for the link, T202.
                  I once yelled at an assistant manager and two stockers who tried to follow a suspect to his car. They tried the "pull him out." The man's solution was similar, he backed up and sped out.

                  None of them realized what they were doing. One of them was like, 'Well, why didn't you stop him?' Because even with body armor, tools, and a firearm on, that car isn't going to stop for me. Even if I shoot the driver, the car isn't going to stop for me.
                  Some Kind of Commando Leader

                  "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                    I once yelled at an assistant manager and two stockers who tried to follow a suspect to his car. They tried the "pull him out." The man's solution was similar, he backed up and sped out.

                    None of them realized what they were doing. One of them was like, 'Well, why didn't you stop him?' Because even with body armor, tools, and a firearm on, that car isn't going to stop for me. Even if I shoot the driver, the car isn't going to stop for me.
                    And there you have it. One wonders what the heck they were thinking? Putting your personal safety/health/life on the line at that point to save the company their cost (not the retail cost) of a few dollars possibly. Regardless of whether the individual allegedly stole $1.00 worth of goods, or $1000.00, there comes a point when you pull up short and just get all the information you can - safely - and file a report with the PD.
                    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Wal-Mart Canada does allow the use of handcuff provided proper training. The Quebec region however does not allow it. So any LP in Canada is allowed to carry/use cuffs except in Quebvec

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Tyco
                        Wal-Mart Canada does allow the use of handcuff provided proper training. The Quebec region however does not allow it. So any LP in Canada is allowed to carry/use cuffs except in Quebvec
                        I believe it would be a Wal-Mart policy. There is no LAW not allowing Security to carry/use cuffs in Quebec. At least I hope there isn't. I've been carrying/using them for almost 30 years in Montreal
                        I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                        Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          No there is no law forbiding it. Wal-Mart Canada is split into regions. Quebec to the East is Region 1. Ontario is Region#2, and the Rest of Canada is #3.
                          For some reason (who knws why)Region#1 does not allow it (regional policy not comapny). I was at those meetings andtalked to Quebec LP. I was shocked when he told me he was not allowed to carry them. But he did say they were going to be changing it as the regional lp manager is new.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I can confirm that the Quebec people do not. Last fall the Canadian president came to the hotel for a meeting. The Security Director from head office came. He was very security conscious, I've had politians come to the hotels with less security precautions. Being in Quebec they needed French speaking staff so they pulled some of their LP people from nearby stores. I spoke to them & was told about the policy. Apparently it has something to do with their : . using handcuffs makes them look unfriendly :
                            I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                            Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              By the way Tyco, where are you located? Does Tyco have anything to do with the parent company of ADT?
                              I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                              Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Im with Wal-Mart in Ontario as LP.
                                Here they always back us up when the need to handcuff and fight arises.
                                They also back us up if we decide not to engage and call 911 if we feel it can become violent.
                                And no nothing to do with ADT. Nickname from highschool

                                Comment

                                Leaderboard

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X