Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often to the cops get involed with your store?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often to the cops get involed with your store?

Does your store have a 'contact law enforcment' policy when you catch someone, or do you usually just take a lesser measure like simply kicking them out of the store?

Originally posted by PaulPasciak View Post
    Does your store have a 'contact law enforcment' policy when you catch someone, or do you usually just take a lesser measure like simply kicking them out of the store?
    When I worked LP, we prosecuted, trespassed, and sent a civil demand letter to every shoplifter we would apprehend. The police were called for everything from shoplifters, to fraud suspects, to car prowlers in the parking lot.

Comment

I have not worked at a store level for years, but it was zero tolerance initially based on MY policy - but it came down to manning, the amount involved, a CNI (criminal) check and how busy the cops were. Anything to deal with kids had parents involved and or kids if no1 was home to come and get them. The police could respond in minutes to almost 6 hours for an internal who had taken $20k in cash. Priorities are for high risk crimes not for S/L's but it also help to work with the local police.

Now running over 400 stores I still make time to sit with the regional police intell or crime prevention teams to discuss any trends. Yes I have regional and state management teams but I also like to attend when I can every month. Having a good relationship with our local Police helps alot including just passing on any Intell you get for them - it may not help you but will help out perhaps a neighbouring retailer or the police.
      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

When I worked LP, we only prosecuted for $100 and over. If it was less, we would simply make them beat feet, with a verbal warning not to come back to the store.

Just before I resigned, there was a guy that would walk into the store, pickup what he wanted, and simply walk out of the store. I wasn't able to catch him, as most nights I was alone. We had contract security watching the door, and of course he didn't stop him (he's told me hes only there for the paycheck).
        "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

When I worked contract LP, we were ALWAYS alone. We had a $15 rule - exceeding that, we'd call the police and pursue the charge. If it was below that, we ran a criminal record check, and unless you had a warrant or a long history of crime on you, we'd give you a warning and let you go.

Comment

I have mentioned this before, but our CBD has a trial program for hi-vis policing where the police had safety green hats on to make them visible in a crowd and a visual deterrent. To get these cops on the beat again, we made sure we used them for attending the store when we could as their stats on arrests and processing was what kept the program working 4 years later. It is typical policitical BS where the numbers need to be crunched to ensure we have a working force of beat cops around the retail sectors.
            "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

In my store we have anyone shoplifting arrested with only a few exceptions such as small children or the very elderly. There is now minimum amount. We've caught people with a $5.00 piece of jewlry who have been caught and released at other stores and fall abart when they know the Police are on the way to arrest them.
              In other areas such as suspicious people in our parking lot, I work at a mall so we call mall security to handle those problems.

Comment

I make the call on police presence following an arrest at the stores I work for. We have a few instances when we're required to call in - if a person in custody does not have provincial or federal ID on them, I cannot release them to anyone but the police and the same with Y.O.'s - they have to be released to the police or parents. Most stores that I work for have the $10.00 and under rule - PPA and send them on their way, however that can be flexible - if you're giving me a hassle for an item under the $10.00 limit, or you're a known offender, I am sometimes inclined to go the charges route. It's amazing the change in a person's attitude once they know the police are coming in.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X