Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LP problems?

Hey all,

At my LP job, I've found myself with a problem. All I do, every day, since starting, is walk around looking for shoplifters. Not bad, except it gets repetitive after a while.

I was promised "investigative work" as well, but it's been ages and none has even been hinted.

Does other LP jobs actually do investigations? What do they consist of? Are you guys all doing the same thing I do as well?

At my previous job I would've given my left...arm just to have gotten to walk the floor as much as you're getting to I say that because that's all I did was stay in CCTV for at least 85% of the time. And when I got on the floor it wasn't for long as I'd usually get called back for some reason...

Of course we did investagations. But they were mostly of the internal kind and whenever we did have an exteranal working, all of our attention was focused on that person or persons...

I would think that each company has their own way of going about doing things, policies as it were. It might seem strange with how things are being done but realistically that's just how they are
    "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Naut - you have a brilliant opportunity to build up a great intel base. You have the opportunity to commence planning work on investigations for no effort at all. NOW is the time for you to learn how people react around work. Why does that manager come in and wait until another staff member is on to check his bag ?

Why is that girl wearing a coat in a warmer month to and from work ?

Why is that person always saying they are broke ?

You know the BS chatter around smokers or lunch rooms is almost as if you had a stack of confessions. Sit pretty and gather the bonus intel which when you begin working inside you will have a book of answers that will allow you to have the lead on other people conducting investigations. I have over 400+ stores globally and I have full time d/base of the intel (even if heresay) that assists me in the review of staff theft.
      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Did you catch anybody yet? Did they train you at all, or did they just tell you the rules and set you free?

I would think that they just don't have any solid internals for you to work on right now. Keep your eye out for shady employees, maybe watch random people once in a while. I have seen people steal small items that I would never think would do that. That gives you a start for who to keep an eye on.

LPA--Did they really make you stay on the cameras all the time? They let me just do whichever I prefer. I like to walk the floor if it's busy, or if I just want to see if I missed anyone coming in. Sounds like your LPM was just a jerk.
        Top Flight

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

Originally posted by liteyouup View Post
          Did you catch anybody yet? Did they train you at all, or did they just tell you the rules and set you free?

I would think that they just don't have any solid internals for you to work on right now. Keep your eye out for shady employees, maybe watch random people once in a while. I have seen people steal small items that I would never think would do that. That gives you a start for who to keep an eye on.

LPA--Did they really make you stay on the cameras all the time? They let me just do whichever I prefer. I like to walk the floor if it's busy, or if I just want to see if I missed anyone coming in. Sounds like your LPM was just a jerk.
          Yeah. I used to work Loss Prevention with another company, and I'm certified to do LP work by two different security academies. I've caught a lot of people. Unfortunately, we don't have surveillance cameras. I'm proprietary, but we haven't got a lot of the tools that I think are required for investigation.

I don't dislike floorwalking. It just gets tedious doing the same thing for six months with nothing to change it up.

Should I be looking elsewhere for employment? Any comments on Walmart, the Bay, London Drugs?

Comment

I agree that LP work can be very tedious. I only do it part time but I still find myself bored. Of course this is a slow time of year and I'm forced because of my other employment to work mornings, still there is alsways the possibility of something interesting happening.

Comment

LP is like Auditing and Stocktaking - an integral part of store operations and someone has to do it. Just because you don't have anyone caught does not mean people are not stealing or you are not preventing theft.
              "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Nauticus View Post
                Thanks for the replies guys.

Yeah. I used to work Loss Prevention with another company, and I'm certified to do LP work by two different security academies. I've caught a lot of people. Unfortunately, we don't have surveillance cameras. I'm proprietary, but we haven't got a lot of the tools that I think are required for investigation.

I don't dislike floorwalking. It just gets tedious doing the same thing for six months with nothing to change it up.

Should I be looking elsewhere for employment? Any comments on Walmart, the Bay, London Drugs?
                Oh well in that case, you should be giving me advice. LOL.
                Top Flight

Comment

Originally posted by liteyouup View Post
                  Oh well in that case, you should be giving me advice. LOL.
                  LOL
                  Don't confuse me for a good LPO.

Comment

Learn how the clock is made

While you are bored on the floor, ask yourself what else impacts shrink other than theft. Ask managers what shrink is and see what kinds of answers you get. Unfortunately, most will say theft.

There is an entire other world out there beyond bad guys. If you like digging into paperwork, then you will make a good investigator. If you are a good investigator you'll need to know about systems (the world of paper) that employees use to steal. And while all of that is going on there are mistakes being made in receiving, in mark downs, in a thousand other areas that are worth 10 years of bad guy catches. I know....boring!

Learn the entire operation and then tell those who don't know what causes shrink. Become a teacher while being a student. And don't wait for someone else to come up and say, "Hey, I'm going to teach you all of this." Aint going to happen.
                    Last edited by Pat Murphy; 02-28-2008, 06:45 PM. Reason: to edit
                    Pat Murphy
                    President
                    LPT Security Consulting
                    Houston, Texas

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X