• Show
Clear All

• Knife-wielding shoplifter charged in Hennepin County Court

Red Star Article

Knife-wielding shoplifter charged in Hennepin County Court
    Suspect allegedly stole items from a Bloomington Wal-Mart

By TIM HARLOW, Star Tribune

Last update: January 15, 2008 - 2:42 PM

A knife-wielding shoplifter who stabbed two loss-prevention agents at a Bloomington Wal-Mart store last week was charged today with two counts of first-degree aggravated robbery and two counts second-degree assault, according to a criminal complaint filed in Hennepin County District Court.

David Barnes, 57, allegedly stabbed one loss prevention officer in the arm and another in the leg as they tried to stop him from leaving the store because he failed to pay for a pellet gun and two pair of Levis that he had stuffed in a backpack, the complaint said.

Barnes got in a car and drove away, but one of the injured officers took down his license plate, the complaint said. Police caught up to Barnes a short distance from the store at 715 E. 78th St. in Bloomington after a chase in which speeds reached nearly 100 miles per hour, the complaint said.

Barnes hit several vehicle before he pulled over, the complaint said.

Both loss prevention officers were treated at Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis.
    ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

I find it odd that Loss Prevention Officers are almost never armed despite the danger associated with the job.
    ATTN. SPECOPS AND GECKO45 my secret username is CIDDECEP and I am your S2. My authorization code is Six Wun Quebec Oscar Fife. Your presence here is tactically dangerous and compromises our overall mission parameter. Cease and desist all activity on this board. Our “enemies” are deft at computer hacking and may trace you back to our primary locale. You have forced me to compromise my situation to protect your vulnerable flank. This issue will be addressed later.

Comment

I think that it's unfortunate also as I've seen a couple of instances where a stop could've gotten worse than what it did. And, for a short time I did have the chance to work with another guy that while at his former job had an altercation with an individual in the mall parking lot.

After getting the guy on the ground, the LP went to handcuff him but somehow he managed to get to his feet and the fight was on again. How did he manage to get to his feet At one point the individual reached into his pocket for something and at which point the LP took his handcuffs and struck the suspect in the chest, sending him to the ground. After handcuffing the suspect a body search was conducted and in his pocket was a large knife

It's clear that the LP was fortunate in that he wasn't stabbed or worse. I, myself can't say whether or not if any other companies that have LP's are armed in any way, shape or form. Where I worked it's policy that we weren't allowed to carry anything accept for handcuffs. That's not saying that if an individual initiates a fight that we couldn't defend ourselves. In that much we were told that we did have the right to defend ourselves.....but again, handcuffs can only do so much.

It's a "touchy" situation I guess. Maybe it might take some LP's getting killed before that's given some serious consideration.
      "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Originally posted by LPAjh9558 View Post
        After getting the guy on the ground, the LP went to handcuff him but somehow he managed to get to his feet and the fight was on again. How did he manage to get to his feet At one point the individual reached into his pocket for something and at which point the LP took his handcuffs and struck the suspect in the chest, sending him to the ground. After handcuffing the suspect a body search was conducted and in his pocket was a large knife
        We had a situation similar to this in one of my stores last week. LP team observes a pair of scruffs who had hit the store before going about the same M.O. as they had on the previous hits. 2 LPOs set themselves up outside the doors, 2 stay on CCTV. PD is contacted and set themselves up in the parking lot. (Yeah, it was one of those, "yup, they're gonna be fighters" situations.) Scruff #1 goes out the doors empty-handed and starts to get into a car (stolen) which was backed into a parking space just outside the doors and idling. Scruff #2 gets out the doors with the trash bag of merchandise. LPOs attempt to app Scruff #2, Scruff #1 takes off on foot. PD pursues scruff 1 (2 marked units & 2 unmarked, 3 uniforms, 1 detective, 1 det-sgt...), Scruff #2 is fighting with LPOs. LPOs manage to get him down, he's got something in his hand and his other hand is reaching for his coat pocket. LPOs try to keep his hand out of the pocket while getting cuffs on him and keeping whatever is in his other hand pinned. One of the LPOs manages to get what's in his hand away from him and tosses it aside as 3rd LPO arrives from CCTV. Takes all 3 to get the Scruff cuffed; moment they do, fight goes out of him. Item that was tossed away? Small can of pepper spray. When Scruff #2 is searched, a sharpened screwdriver is found in his coat pocket.

You never know what they're gonna have.
        "I don't do judgment. Just retrieval."

"The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it."

Comment

The more that you hear about these stories from other LP's, the more you really wonder why and/or how we're not allowed to carry anything. At least a can of pepper spray or something would help

It's good to know that everyone came out of the situation unharmed I really think that this is a very important issue that could be looked into further down the road.....1 can only hope for the best!

BTW...welcome aboard.
          "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

We have just had our laws changed in NSW, Australia giving security personnel a bit more power (in our duties including powers of arrest and conducting searches if we fear for our safety) but ironically no handcuffs are allowed for violent people. I have positive and negative views of using handcuffs as the mentality of many LP is to play bondage queens and cuff their friends for the fun of it when on duty.

As people are becoming more desperate they will steal anything not tied down and some of these people are not afraid to use any weapons or means to evade arrest or to threaten or initmidate those offering customer service (would you like to pay for those 4 Xbox units inside your coat ?). Some of the horror stories I am hearing and see in the news make me wonder what is the next stage of offender violence around the globe. The worse thing I heard of last year was an internal who are fired and arrested by the police for dealing big time at work and her having her b/f and brothers come back and tap dance on the head of the LPM as he went to his car in broad daylight.
            "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by NRM_Oz View Post
              We have just had our laws changed in NSW, Australia giving security personnel a bit more power (in our duties including powers of arrest and conducting searches if we fear for our safety) but ironically no handcuffs are allowed for violent people. I have positive and negative views of using handcuffs as the mentality of many LP is to play bondage queens and cuff their friends for the fun of it when on duty.

As people are becoming more desperate they will steal anything not tied down and some of these people are not afraid to use any weapons or means to evade arrest or to threaten or initmidate those offering customer service (would you like to pay for those 4 Xbox units inside your coat ?). Some of the horror stories I am hearing and see in the news make me wonder what is the next stage of offender violence around the globe. The worse thing I heard of last year was an internal who are fired and arrested by the police for dealing big time at work and her having her b/f and brothers come back and tap dance on the head of the LPM as he went to his car in broad daylight.
              To my knowledge...at the most LP's are only allowed handcuffs (if even that). And they do seem to be toys for a select number of LP's. We were told upon begining our employment that being caught playing with them on duty and even off (during lunch) could be grounds for dismissal. The handcuffs weren't to be seen unless they were needed for an apprehension or a violent suspect.

You're right! The way things are going now, people will steal whatever they can. I'm curious to see what the "next stage" will be also.
              "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Originally posted by NRM_Oz View Post

wow thats an odd law.
                Last edited by bigdog; 01-16-2008, 12:58 AM.
                "Get yourself a shovel cause your in deep Sh*t"

Comment

Originally posted by darkenna View Post
                  We had a situation similar to this in one of my stores last week. LP team observes a pair of scruffs who had hit the store before going about the same M.O. as they had on the previous hits. 2 LPOs set themselves up outside the doors, 2 stay on CCTV. PD is contacted and set themselves up in the parking lot. (Yeah, it was one of those, "yup, they're gonna be fighters" situations.) Scruff #1 goes out the doors empty-handed and starts to get into a car (stolen) which was backed into a parking space just outside the doors and idling. Scruff #2 gets out the doors with the trash bag of merchandise. LPOs attempt to app Scruff #2, Scruff #1 takes off on foot. PD pursues scruff 1 (2 marked units & 2 unmarked, 3 uniforms, 1 detective, 1 det-sgt...), Scruff #2 is fighting with LPOs. LPOs manage to get him down, he's got something in his hand and his other hand is reaching for his coat pocket. LPOs try to keep his hand out of the pocket while getting cuffs on him and keeping whatever is in his other hand pinned. One of the LPOs manages to get what's in his hand away from him and tosses it aside as 3rd LPO arrives from CCTV. Takes all 3 to get the Scruff cuffed; moment they do, fight goes out of him. Item that was tossed away? Small can of pepper spray. When Scruff #2 is searched, a sharpened screwdriver is found in his coat pocket.

You never know what they're gonna have.
                  Welcome to the site.
                  Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                  Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                    Welcome to the site.
                    Thanks, Curt & LPA! (You've only yourself to blame for my presence, Mr. Baillie... I followed a link you posted over there to get here. )
                    "I don't do judgment. Just retrieval."

"The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it."

Comment

Thanks...I believe there is much to learn from both sites.
                      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                      Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Am I the only one here concerned that the overwhelming response to this article is that LP agents should be armed to protect themselves?
                        www.plsolutions.net
                        www.customerloyaltysolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by darkenna View Post
                          Thanks, Curt & LPA! (You've only yourself to blame for my presence, Mr. Baillie... I followed a link you posted over there to get here. )

Now you've joined the "Dark Side!"
                          "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

I would like it further recognised globally that LP does have a dark side where people will arm themselves with whatever they can find to avoid detection and arrest. Worst part is a sales girl who says "excuse me would you like to pay for that here, sir" could be stabbed because she followed customer service protocols and some mongrel brings out a knife or syringe to cause injury.
                            "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Isn't funny.....

That the bad guy will fight two unarmed guards, but give up to the police.

Hmmmmmmmmm, what was the difference between the two groups, was it the uniforms, hair cuts, I just can't figure it out.

OH, wait a minute, the police may have had some type of weapon, yeah, that's the ticket. (That could have punched the bad guy's ticket )

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X