Trying to get into LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R.boyle2003 View Post
    Well, after more talks with the LP's I found out that I have gotten the attention of the District LP manager. I asked one of the LP's if there was any way I could talk with him and was told that a meeting time would be arranged! So, hopefully things go well.

I have also been helping the LP at my store and her mentor (LP from another store) as much as possible.

Thanks to all for the advice, it is truly appreciated.
    That's awesome news Good luck with the impending interview
    "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

You should check out this information before talking to the DLPM. Might find some good tips in there. http://www.lpjobs.com/showcontent.aspx?pagename=JobTips

Comment

My resume

Well I am going to be giving this to the district LP before the end of next week. Figured I would post it here to see what you guys think and maybe get a few tips or a good proof read.

Richard L Boyle II

Objective
          To obtain a job in retail loss prevention, and apply my self, and knowledge
          in a positive light in order to help the company succeed and grow

Education
          High School Diploma, Lake View High School San Angelo (spelling corrected) Texas 2003.
          Brazosport College Lake Jackson Texas 20 semester hours Criminal Justice Major
          Blinn College Bryan Texas 10 semester hours completed 10 in progress Criminal Justice Major.

Work Experience
          Lowes #103
          Night Receiving/Stocker
          6/2007 - Present

Mark Hill
          Assistant
          2/2007 - 6/2007(date corrected)

Lowes #90
          Night Receiving/Stocker
          9/2006 - 1/2007

Volunteer Work
          Gause Volunteer Fire Department.
          Firefighter.
          Milam County Fire Chiefs Association

Interests and Activities
          Social behavior, norms, and explanation.
          Learning new things.
          Solo Auto Cross
          Electronics design and repair

Hobbies
          Working on my MR2.
          Studying.
          Photography

Computer Skills
          Microsoft Works
          Microsoft Word
          Microsoft Publisher
          Microsoft Outlook
          Adobe Photoshop
          Lowes Genesis System

Licenses, Certifications, and Training
          Certified Training
          National Incident Management System (N.I.M.S.) Level 100, 200, 700
          Danielle Dean Smalley Foundation Pipeline Safety
          Weather Watcher
          Texas drivers license
          Lowes Power Equipment,
          (LP Gas Forklift, Power Jack, Reach Truck, Order Picker)
          Lowes Receiver/Stocker
          CPR / First Aid (expired expect to renew soon)
          PADI Open Water Diver
          Un certified Training
          Haz-Mat
          Traffic Control
          Emergency Response
          Incident Scene Management
          Incident Scene Command
          Incident Scene Documentation
          Incident Scene Safety
          Medical Helicopter Landing Zone Preparation

Sorry for the really long post.
          Last edited by R.boyle2003; 01-24-2008, 09:11 AM. Reason: Deleted references and telephone numbers

Comment

Deleted Information

Boyle - I deleted the names and phones numbers of your references. I don't think they would want their names and telephone numbers spread all over the internet.

At this time there are 24 bots & crawlers traversing this site. I hope the information was not already picked up.
            Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
            Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

One little error noted.

Hey, I don't know if you copied your resume word for word onto this forum, but if you did you need to correct a humorous error, that being you have yourself working for "MARK HILL" until June 7007, and if that is correct, don't plan on retiring for the next 4,999 years.

Good luck with that interview.

Comment

Thank you Curtis for catching that and deleting their names and phone #'s I was in a hurry to post it up and be at work on time. didn't even think about it.

bpdblue

Thanks for catching that. It's exactly why I posted it up here.

Any more comments, does it look like a strong resume for getting into LP or is it just another black and white piece of paper.

Comment

The resume looks pretty good without prior lp experience. In the goals section I might add:
                  "To obtain a career in retail loss prevention, reduce shrink by building strong partnerships with the store and help the company succeed and grow."

Just a thought to maybe add something like that in there. In my opinion one major key for lp advancement that our bosses look for in someone is are they a team player and are they able to build a strong partnership with the store. There are many other things that they look for but for just getting into lp I think that is a strong value. Besides Integrity obviously. lol.
                  Good Luck!

Comment

Well, the district LP is going to be conducting interviews next week. I do not have one scheduled as of this moment but still I am hoping for the best.

Comment

Good Luck.

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Nauticus View Post
                        Actually, when I completed my Loss Prevention course, I was told otherwise.

10%-15% = Criminals/High Risk/Dishonest
                        70%-80% = As honest as the system restricts them to be.
                        10%-15% = Good Willed/Low Risk/Honest
                        Whatever the numbers are, they don't matter. You must watch everyone because you really don't know which is which and should never assume that you do.

In CFE (fraud examiner training), the first thing you learn is that the dishonest employee is just as likely or more likely to be the long-time employee that everyone likes and whom "no one would ever suspect", rather than the "oddball" employee who seems secretive, doesn't talk to anyone, or who has other behaviors that make him "different" or "sneaky" and who your instincts tell you should not be trusted.

Trusted employees are the ones with the most opportunity to steal. Once they begin to defraud, they will do so for longer periods, and steal more per incident, than other employees, by the way.

On the other hand, it's good to remember that there really are no positions in any company that are not, in some way, "positions of trust". Everyone has opportunities to defraud or to steal from the company in some way, even if it's only something like timecard dishonesty or failing to perform duties for which they are paid.

The best policy here is Ronald Reagan's regarding the Soviets: Trust, but verify - regardless of who you think you can trust. And never trust "systems". There is no control system in the world that cannot be defeated by a knowledgeable, determined employee, or by multiple employees acting in collusion with one another. You split the duties for handling cash receipts, bank deposits and accounts receivable...good control idea, right? Not if the clerks get together, it isn't. Oh, yeah...NOW you remember that it was the cash clerk who recommended her friend for the AR job....

Bottom line: All control systems must be supplemented with verification!
                        Last edited by SecTrainer; 02-02-2008, 11:17 AM.
                        "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

2 frequently uttered lines come to mind:

Inspect what you expect.

Those whom you trust the most, hurt you the most.
                          "I don't do judgment. Just retrieval."

"The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it."

Comment

....or one of my all time favorites - Expect What You Inspect.

Comment

"Welcome to LP. Expect the unexpected" as I was told on my first LP investigation.

Even some 15 years later, nothing seems to shock me anymore. The creativity placed on dishonesty would make any advertising agency jealous as often it would make any company increase profit by 50% without even trying too hard. Long term employees are more likely to take advantage of slack systems and slack management. I witnessed a 30 year veteran sales woman concealing a scarfe inside her bag after removing a tag and then exiting my staff entry point. I interviewed her and she admitted the theft and then stated that all she wanted was her 30 year service award which was forgotten by HR at the store meeting. $400 silk scarfe and I had to follow SOP's.
                              "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by NRM_Oz View Post
                                "Welcome to LP. Expect the unexpected" as I was told on my first LP investigation.

Even some 15 years later, nothing seems to shock me anymore. The creativity placed on dishonesty would make any advertising agency jealous as often it would make any company increase profit by 50% without even trying too hard. Long term employees are more likely to take advantage of slack systems and slack management. I witnessed a 30 year veteran sales woman concealing a scarfe inside her bag after removing a tag and then exiting my staff entry point. I interviewed her and she admitted the theft and then stated that all she wanted was her 30 year service award which was forgotten by HR at the store meeting. $400 silk scarfe and I had to follow SOP's.
                                Wow, 30 years down the tube for a $400 scarf?

On the note of odd ball ways of theft and long term employees i.e. time theft, being unproductive, etc.

There is a co-worker that I have whom as soon as he clocks in gets on a piece of powered equipment and disappears, there is NO need for him to be on the equipment, and nothing he can do with it besides drive around and talk. The man has been there since the store opened and is buddy buddy with every manager in the store. I have observed him talking to people around the store some times for 20-30 minutes some of these conversations are with all levels of mgmt. Taking extended breaks (extra 5-10 minutes. almost daily) I have been trying to help the LP dept nail him but he avoids the cameras at all cost. any advice on how to help them?

In your opinions what is the most difficult kind of employee to catch?
                                Last edited by R.boyle2003; 02-02-2008, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X