Trying to get into LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get into LP

Well I am just wanting a little bit of advice from those who are there and know.

I am currently employed at Lowes and am hoping to get an LP in lowes

My back ground.

1-year Volunteer firefighter
    Nims 100, 200, and 700
    Traffic mg mt training
    Haz-mat training
    I have elected the traning officer and after 6 mos I was elected the saftey officer.

Criminal Justice Major

Any advice or pearls of wisdom

Have you tried talking to the store LPM?
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
      Have you tried talking to the store LPM?
      My store has just transitioned to a new LP so I have not had the opportunity to talk to her as of yet. It is on my to do list though

Comment

In my case, I was looking for a "different" position. On the application I just checked the Loss Prevention box with a few others and the rest is history Let the LPM know how eager you are to work in the industry and see what happens. Good luck with the company....I tried for months to get a position with them and no such luck Hang in there!
        "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

A simple chat as Curtis stated would go along way - just ask and you might be surprised at opportunities to work behind the scenes and learn the trade. I would be researching galore online to get a basic understanding of what LP is about and what causes some losses and some of the things that happen in LP.

Lastly, some advice in retail - watch people but don't stare at them. Why does that lady have a coat on in 100F or why is there a power cord hanging out of her pocket ? It goes well into learning good patience and good observation training as well.
          "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

R.Boyle2003 - Just to share some of my knowledge about Lowes. The expected work week for a LPM is 50 hours. Their program consists of heavy audit and safety issues. I don't know what your perspective or idea about what LP should be, but they do not place heavy emphasis on apprehending shoplifters.

Since the LPM at your store is new, you may want to talk to the Store Manager. I don't know how many stores there are in your area, but they are always hiring.
            Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
            Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

The expected work week for a LPM is 50 hours. Their program consists of heavy audit and safety issues. I don't know what your perspective or idea about what LP should be, but they do not place heavy emphasis on apprehending shoplifters.
              I have a friend that's an LPM for one of the Lowes stores here in Oklahoma. And this is true that they place a greater emphasis on their in-store audits/safety issues. They do, on occassion apprehend shoplifters...but IMO the balance isn't there between the three. One difference from Lowes and other retail companies is that you don't work "plain" clothed. From what I understand, the LP's wear "smocks" (vests) just like the other associates. Again, good luck with your venture!
              "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Im shooting for the LPS position.

I know lowes focus is on internal affairs, not external shoplifting.

I enjoy the challenge of audits and tracking down errors, I do it at Arby's for my wife all the time (she is a assistant manager) As a Night Reciever I know alot about the loss incurred in the receiving process and I try to help fix the problem but my co-workers are a bunch of idiots that could care less about the product and the stores performance. I have tried changing attitudes and do my part to prevent things from getting broken, misplaced etc. but I have no real authority. For christs sakes the Overnight Zone will store use a $30 pair of gloves for people without even thinking twice about it. I have tried informing her that lowes has employee use gloves available and there is no need to store use a hi-dollar pair for people. I have seen day time people walking around with $50 tape measures, $20 box cutters, $70 tool belts etc. that you know are store used because the same people have a new one every few weeks. I have seen several times where people will go and take a $20 pack of IRWIN blades off the shelf and just open it and throw the packaging away when I question them they say "It's store use". Am I wrong to be appalled by this kind of behavior? I have reported it to management but they don't care. I have even taken printouts of lowes policy when I approached them but once again they are too busy to care. I would love to see the store use expense reports for my store.

Well sorry for the rant, but I feel that what is going on is very wrong and needs to be corrected.

Or am I just looking at the wrong picture?

Comment

It sounds to me like you're really interested in changing things around....and that's great It shows initiative on your part and that you want to contribute to the stores success & growth.

I saw some of the same things you did when I worked for Home Depot. Stuff that was a lot more expensive being used for "store use" is a common thing I'm affraid. No, you're not wrong as it should bother you. Just keep at it, hang in there and good luck in getting the LPS job!
                  "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Well, I had a conversation with the LP's and told them of several things going on in the store and gave them some things to watch out for. They felt that I was worthy enough of getting their contact information and I put in my application for the LPS position and found out that management in the store side knew nothing of how the LPS position worked. and I dang near missed out because I listened to them.

Still I have a few questions.
                    What kind of things do I need to look out for to assist them? They gave me a few general things but nothing too spefic.
                    What will my LP interview be like. any one care to give me a mock interview?
                    What kind of things will I be asked?
                    I have a million questions and am excited that I finally got to meat and have a closed doors LP/Shrink related conversation with the "big guys" in my reagon 1 LP from another store and the new LP at my store. They told me that they were going to mention me to the district LP!

I don't just want to get lucky and land this job. I want to be a desired canadate, I want them to request that I be placed in my stores LPS. I guess you guys can tell now that I am extremely adament about getting this job.
                    I believe I am heading in the right direction, or atleast I hope I am.

Sorry for the excited rant but I am trying to make a carrear move here!

Comment

RB - just some basic facts known in LP

5-10% can be attributed to poor data integrity (scanning items under general merchandise if no bar code, using a different model to scan for price like different sizes, transfer not being checked and assumed off box labels)

45 - 55% can be attributed to internal theft - yes it's true(freebies, refund fraud, merch. theft, sweet heart deals for friends, under charging, and cash theft).

35 - 45% can be attributed to external theft and this includes supplier theft (driver's or warehouse staff before it gets to you), fraud, refunding, price swappers and blatant concealment.

Some of you will argue these numbers but these are around the GLOBAL averages around the world and will rise and fall depending on culture and the nature of the business involved. Things to consider include: hospitatlity staff working in a burger place are more often going to give out free meals or drinks and or pocket the money so a double loss rather than someone steal a register and run out the door with it.

50% of people are HONEST
                      40% of people are AS HONEST AS OUR SYSTEMS ALLOW THEM TO BE (policies)
                      10% of people are DISHONEST ............. and cause 90% of losses in theft.

Comment

Originally posted by NRM_Oz View Post
                        50% of people are HONEST
                        40% of people are AS HONEST AS OUR SYSTEMS ALLOW THEM TO BE (policies)
                        10% of people are DISHONEST ............. and cause 90% of losses in theft.
                        Actually, when I completed my Loss Prevention course, I was told otherwise.

10%-15% = Criminals/High Risk/Dishonest
                        70%-80% = As honest as the system restricts them to be.
                        10%-15% = Good Willed/Low Risk/Honest

Comment

Originally posted by R.boyle2003 View Post
                          Well, I had a conversation with the LP's and told them of several things going on in the store and gave them some things to watch out for. They felt that I was worthy enough of getting their contact information and I put in my application for the LPS position and found out that management in the store side knew nothing of how the LPS position worked. and I dang near missed out because I listened to them.

Still I have a few questions.
                          What kind of things do I need to look out for to assist them? They gave me a few general things but nothing too spefic.
                          What will my LP interview be like. any one care to give me a mock interview?
                          What kind of things will I be asked?
                          I have a million questions and am excited that I finally got to meat and have a closed doors LP/Shrink related conversation with the "big guys" in my reagon 1 LP from another store and the new LP at my store. They told me that they were going to mention me to the district LP!

I don't just want to get lucky and land this job. I want to be a desired canadate, I want them to request that I be placed in my stores LPS. I guess you guys can tell now that I am extremely adament about getting this job.
                          I believe I am heading in the right direction, or atleast I hope I am.

Sorry for the excited rant but I am trying to make a carrear move here!
                          It's a good thing that you stuck with it as it seems that management might have almost dropped the ball. You're doing the right thing by showing the LP's that you want to get in there and be involved. It lets 'em know that you're serious about your job. At least for the time being it sounds like they're placing some trust in what you're telling them...and that's great. Always trust your instincts!

You could be looking for a number of things from associate behavior to questions that they might be asking about proceedures. Watch for "friends" of the associates that look out of place. Sometimes it's the little things that end up catching your eye

Your interview is a different story. Mine for instance, started out with wanting to know why I didn't apply to any other position in the store.....I kinda thought that was strange And of course they'll want to know about previous experience. Don't "sugarcoat" it. Be honest and straight forward...give details! They may even want some info on previous situations and how you handled them as well. Tell 'em what you as an LPS, can do for the department and the company...show confidense and you'll do fine.

You're passionate about your job and that's a good thing. Let us know what happens and again.....Best of luck!
                          "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

1 of my best LP staff was an ex sales girl for a fashion warehouse whom over lunch 1 day rattled off dozens of methods staff stealing were stealing from their POS. After losing contact and her resigning before I did, I found out she was working as a SM on typical retail wages. So we caught up, I tabled an offer over $30k US more and the promise of 1 weekend a month. She signd the contract, advised her area manager she was resigning and agreed to hande over he keys and company stuff that afternoon to start Monday.

Sometimes it is those people who come from unique backgrounds that are you best sources for new LP staff. 1/3 of my staff come from these backgrounds and their skills together with those through formal training has been highly successful. Hone those customer service skills with your new LP and you will have an edge on many others.

Comment

Well, after more talks with the LP's I found out that I have gotten the attention of the District LP manager. I asked one of the LP's if there was any way I could talk with him and was told that a meeting time would be arranged! So, hopefully things go well.

I have also been helping the LP at my store and her mentor (LP from another store) as much as possible.

Thanks to all for the advice, it is truly appreciated.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X