nobody is innocent.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nobody is innocent.....

Ok here is a scenario for you guys and girls. Tonight I'm heading out of the store on my way home and I notice a woman doing somthing inside of her purse, so I say what the hell and begin survielance. So Im sitting there watching this lady and something just dosent seem right about the situation. The customer then grabs the sales tag on the purse she has in her cart and snaps it off forcefully and replaces it with another tag with a clearance price. So I continue to follow this customer until she passes by an associate and begins a conversation that seems like they know eachother. After the conversation, still following the customer, I ask the associate who this individual is, and the associate tells me she is the wife of the former market loss prevention manager. Ok, so this has changed the dynamic a bit. As I'm watching the customer check out with an employee discount card and the cashier ringing up her merch at the stolen price I'm thinking about the last time I witnessed a tag switcher, I had absolutely no proof what so-ever that she had done it except for what I had witnessed, and that would not be sufficient for the pd. So she walked and I am kicking myself for not doing anything, but Im also thinking if I had made a stop with no proof, being who this lady is she might know the ins and outs, and I might have been without a job. I know there are a few gung ho lp's who might say I fudged up, but I know ex-lp's turned car salesmen because of uncalculated moves such as this. Anyway I collected some evidence after the fact and I'm hanging onto this one by tooth and nail, and will find out more tomorrow.
    Do not kill. Do not rape. Do not steal. These are principles which every man of every faith can embrace.
    There are varying degrees of evil. We urge you lesser forms of filth, not to push the bounds and cross over, in to true corruption, into our domain.
    For if you do, one day you will look behind you and you will see we three, and on that day you will reap it.
    And we will send you to whatever god you wish.

Seems like you have something going and at the very least it's worth the investegation to look into it. Did you happen to have selection on the purse? If not then you were correct in holding off. Even though you clearly saw a tag switch it's better to play it safe at this point. And since you know who she is then it could turn out to be something big down the road. Keep us informed.
    "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

Coming into the a new team I heard all the war stories of the LP staff including that of store managers stealing, LP staff concealing clothes and walking out with them, an LPM with a boot load (trunk) of electronics without permission, an alleged GM but a 1st class butt kisser with a car full of shoes he sold as a supplier and the best one of an LPS stole alot of shrinkage but once borrowed a camera, took some hot pics of his g/f and she with him and forgot to erase the memory car and camera memory. I found it and went to remove the memory card (used as a spare) only to find these pics and they also had items missing with our company security EAS tags attached in the background.

Hmmmmm can I include the CEO we busted (just and investigator back then) for over 7 figures and allowed his wife to use HIS company credit card and permitted her (son in law was in accounts) to have a duplicate card in her name) for all her expenses. She also had 9 other shoplifting charges outstanding with several retailers. What about the visual merchandiser who stripped a manequin of a designer dress, wore it to a wedding, was photographed in the Sunday Newspaper and I waited inside the store for her to come in with the dress (2 hours earlier than all others) as she removed it from her handbag and placed it on the naked manequin.
      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Some thoughts on this.

J L, if you can't prove something this time, there is almost always a next time.

I don't know if your an in house LP or contract.

If contract, I suggest you tell supervision from your company about what happened. Remember to include everything you can about the incident, including what kind of purse was taken (and it's cost, if you can), the date and time it occurred, the register she was checked out on, the employee you talked to who told you who the tag switcher was, ect.

Are there camera's in the store? What did the lady do with the tag she ripped off to make the switch? You might be able to do some digging to see if the lady goes to the store on certain days, or certain times.

I hope you get my drift here, it takes extra legwork to take down someone who knows the system, but it most certainly can be done, and it feels pretty good to get someone who thinks they are above the rules (and law) and make the grab on them.

If your an in house LP, you still need to talk with management, although you may have to be careful in who you tell, as they might be a friend of the former head of security there, who might try to set you up (like by getting you to make a bad stop / arrest.)

If your supervision tells you not to worry about it, you had better do what they say, but you should also watch your back, as any company that does not want to stop an obvious repeat shoplifter might have bad things to hide themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by J_L View Post
          Ok here is a scenario for you guys and girls. Tonight I'm heading out of the store on my way home and I notice a woman doing somthing inside of her purse, so I say what the hell and begin survielance. So Im sitting there watching this lady and something just dosent seem right about the situation. The customer then grabs the sales tag on the purse she has in her cart and snaps it off forcefully and replaces it with another tag with a clearance price. So I continue to follow this customer until she passes by an associate and begins a conversation that seems like they know eachother. After the conversation, still following the customer, I ask the associate who this individual is, and the associate tells me she is the wife of the former market loss prevention manager. Ok, so this has changed the dynamic a bit. As I'm watching the customer check out with an employee discount card and the cashier ringing up her merch at the stolen price I'm thinking about the last time I witnessed a tag switcher, I had absolutely no proof what so-ever that she had done it except for what I had witnessed, and that would not be sufficient for the pd. So she walked and I am kicking myself for not doing anything, but Im also thinking if I had made a stop with no proof, being who this lady is she might know the ins and outs, and I might have been without a job. I know there are a few gung ho lp's who might say I fudged up, but I know ex-lp's turned car salesmen because of uncalculated moves such as this. Anyway I collected some evidence after the fact and I'm hanging onto this one by tooth and nail, and will find out more tomorrow.

I was always taught by my Regional trainer NEVER to trust ANYONE, only trust yourself. Bosses and even fellow security collegues can be corrupt.
          and I think it's harder for inhouse guards to express concern to the people incharge of the store because if they're the ones suspected of the crime you're very limited to who you can inform.

I guess it could be true.
          Ewfr 'Gomulee - EuwFer 'Gom-You-Lee
          Court Security Officer - Her Majesty's Courts Service HMCS

Comment

DTA - Don't Trust Anyone.

I have had colleagues stab me in the back and whilst LP is like playing poking (waiting for the cards to appear) you need to always keep your cards covered. This is a very jealous industry and I do know when I was once a store level LPM being responsible for 40% national shrinkage reduction that the smaller stores or those who lower positions become jealous of your results. Personally it all comes together when your team sees the results and can sit there and be proud of your results.
            "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X