Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoplifter Dies

Has anyone heard about this yet?

Alleged shoplifter dies in Morgan Hill after store security guards detain him
    By Lisa Fernandez
    Mercury News
    Article Launched: 11/28/2007 08:11:19 AM PST

Morgan Hill police said today that a 47-year-old man died after being detained by security guards at Safeway for allegedly stealing $700 worth of food and alcohol.
    Cmdr. David Swing said the man, a Greenfield resident whom police have not identified, started to run out of the store at 840 E. Dunne Ave. about 4:15 p.m. Tuesday.
    Security guards soon caught up with him and put him in handcuffs, which is when the guards told police the man became "unresponsive."
    Police arrived within minutes and could not find the man's pulse. They tried CPR, Swing said, until medical crews came. The man was taken by ambulance to St. Louise Regional Hospital where he died.
    The security guards, who police also did not identify, worked for Monument Security assigned to Safeway; they were not injured.
    Their status at work, whether they were put on leave or not, was not immediately known. Police say the initial investigation indicates that no weapons were used during the struggle by the suspect or security guards.

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.mercurynews.com/localnews...nclick_check=1
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

An interesting forum on this subject. One person asked how do you run out of a store with $700.00 worth of groceries? Good question.

http://www.nbc11.com/news/14716955/detail.html
      THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A 911 CALL IS FOUR MINUTES
      THE AVERAGE RESPONSE TIME FOR A .357 MAGNUM ROUND IS 1400 FEET PER SECOND?
      http://www.boondocksaints.com/

Comment

Quite easily, actually. Depending what kind of groceries, they may have used a basket.

I worked for Safeway as well, except part of a different security company. Most Safeways have security cameras, so I think someone should check those.

I'm just wondering where the alcohol came from. Canadian Safeways, obviously, don't sell alcohol. Unless they mean the really watered down beer.

Comment

That is alot of Caviar !!!

$700.00 !!!!!!! I watched a woman in front of me spend $750+ in 1 hit on a Friday night when I was getting food for a BBQ and she had 2 trolleys worth of stuff. The man behind me just looked at the total and mouthed a swear word ............. he then asked me if she still only got 4 cents off a litre of petrol (gas) for spending over $30.00 ?

There would have to be a cart involved unless the SL was built like a line backer.
          "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

In my grocery career two or three shopping carts of grocerys was not uncommon. They would roll them out into the back of pickup trucks.
            Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
            Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Snatch and grabs are more common - using the stores garbage bags to grab what they can in under 30 seconds (usually hair products) and then run out. I did see a woman once with a trolley full of food run through a store and collide with a Sensormatic Pedestal (bloody good stuff) before LP ran in behind her as she took a shortcut through 1 of my client's stores. I then added my $2.00 worth with news that she was being prosecuted for the damage to the pedestal.
              "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

People die all the time from all sorts of things, so it does not mean the guards did anything wrong to cause the suspect's death.

The guards also have a right to go after the suspect, in a reasonable way, to attempt the capture of the suspect, and to retrieve the stolen items.

Comment

Just read about this in my morning paper. I know a few people who work LP in this are and will forward it to them. They have "reported" stopping upwards of $1000 in cart runs.

I doubt that any follow up stories will be ran but we can only hope that the cause of death will be released and that the LP's will not be found at fault.

Also, this is here in California, not Canada so alcohol is sold and can get quit pricey.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X