Internal theft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internal theft

What kind of internal cases do you make the most? Gift card scams, cash theft, merch theft, etc...
    cash theft
    23.53%
    merchandise theft ( for self)
    29.41%
    sweethearting (merch theft for others)
    5.88%
    discount abuse
    17.65%
    fraudulent returns
    17.65%
    other
    5.88%
    It takes an officer to screw up to make a really good officer.

Make the most as in most common or most $$$ recovered ?

As I control all investigations with my employer, we have everything from employee theft, discounting, gift cards are on the cards for 2008 for us (but is common elsewhere), refund fraud is very common, staff discounting fraud is common, swapping of items and charging for cheaper one is very common and we then get into management issues.

Cash register theft is not as common now as it was, theft of merchandise for a 2nd party (friend) is common, SM's lending clothes out without payment and then returnng them soiled, SM's falsifiy stock records before they are being transferred (found a $6k discrepancy with 1 store 2 months back) and found the stock-takes were faked - so SM was not transferred, admitted guilt and was fired without notice.

1 electronics retailer had 60% of all theft was internal and 30% was external - with 10% being stupid transfer errors. I presented these figures to the board of directors and found that they were shocked to think their relatives were crooks inside the company.
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

I'm referring to most common. I added a poll to track.
      It takes an officer to screw up to make a really good officer.

Comment

Thanks - sorry seppo slang is not often so clear to us aussies - this will be an interesting poll to watch.

Comment

#1 skimming cash

#2 using inside knowledge of procedures/practices to effectively remove product/property
          "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" - Winston Churchill

Comment

types of theft

We do see a mixture of the various types of theft. However, I'd have to say that these would be our top 3:

1) Merchandise Theft - approx. 85%
            2) Fraud. Returns - approx. 10%
            3) Discount Abuse - approx. 5%
            "Life In Every Breath"

Comment

In my limited experience the biggest problem I had was Employees allowing each other large discounts when they were not authorised to have them.

Proving this however was near impossible because I was not allowed access to the tills and the till systems.
              Ewfr 'Gomulee - EuwFer 'Gom-You-Lee
              Court Security Officer - Her Majesty's Courts Service HMCS

Comment

Pull the audit trails or electronic journals and sit back and watch the action. If you have exception reports .......... WOO HOO. I run mine interstate around the country and have just hit another 2 idiots who refuse to learn from previous discounters that I fired from the same 2 stores.

Comment

Sweethearting. No question.

These 16 year old kids think "I've come up with the greatest scam in the world! I'll ring up 1 item, but put EVERYTHING in my friends bag! I'm a genius! No one has ever thought about this before! there is no way I can get caught!"

Are they ever suprised.
                  "I'll let each of you guys punch me in the face if you'll just wash this crap outta my eyes!!" -Tweeker Shoplifter showing his distaste for pepper spray.

Comment

These 2 are 40 year old veteran sales staff with 10+ company years of experience and 12 months ago were all inducted into the NEW staff Code of Conduct program. Average merchandise price for dresses floats around $3k US but when I see $1k US discounts hit continuously through 1 store and knowing that staff are limited to around $10k US in their discounts I see red flags. ANY SM or Area Manager who permits this is going to pay for it from their own bonuses. Sales staff all averaged $7k - 14k US last year in bonuses so why screw the company over ?

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X