LP Certification Now Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LP Certification Now Available

After reading RANova's thread Online LP Training? I did some online research on LP Certification and found information announcing the creation of an industry-wide initiative to create a worldwide uniform curriculum for a new LP Certification process created by a quadruple joint venture effort of the Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA), Loss Prevention magazine, the Loss Prevention Certification Council, and the Loss Prevention Foundation.

Retailers Meet at RILA Over Loss Prevention Certification Process
    Chain Store Age
    Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Retailers met at Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA) headquarters last week to outline the details of a new Loss Prevention Certification process. Initiated through a partnership between RILA and Loss Prevention magazine, the program is designed to standardize the loss prevention education process. “This industry-wide initiative will create a common language among the entire loss prevention community through standardized education, beginning with the entry-level associate,” said RILA's Rhett Asher, VP of retail operations and loss prevention. “The certification will offer a uniform curriculum for those individuals beginning their career in loss prevention, and will expand the pool of qualified candidates for the loss prevention community.” The Loss Prevention Certification Council includes loss prevention executives from both RILA member and non-member companies, including AutoZone, Best Buy, CVS, Dollar General, Food Lion, Jack in the Box, Kohl's, Limited Brands, Lowe's, Michaels, Nike, Office Depot, Pathmark, PepBoys, Safeway, Target, TJX, Walgreen and Wal-Mart.

And here's the details of the program http://www.losspreventioncertificati...-LearnMore.htm.

If the certification is too expensive for you to pay for out-of-pocket, may I suggest seeking employment with one of the companies mentioned in the above article so they can pay for your training. I hope this thread helps all those who are interested in a career in Loss Prevention.
    Last edited by Guardian Angel; 10-15-2007, 11:18 AM.

I think I'm going to jump the gun and call this a money grab.

I'm certified in Loss Prevention via a local security academy, and I did a full in-class course and on-field study of the profession, and the technical aspects of it. My instructor was an experienced private investigator/loss prevention officer, and he knew what he was talking about.

I cannot imagine any online LP training being effective at all. This would be a credidential, and nothing more, I think. Personally, I wouldn't pay for this - on the job experience is much better, if possible.

Comment

In Australia all security officers must be licenced and they must also have a 1st aid course (duh !!). In my state of NSW, we have a new licencing system which is easier to understand. If you do LP that is a seperate accred, armed work is another accred, dog handing yet another accred.

Now us old hands have to resubmit our paperwork for the 3rd time to be assessed and in my case have to either do this or attend a 40 hour course in LP. What company is going to pay for their staff to do 40 hours of LP training when some of the LP staff have done 4 - 10 years usually ?

Here is another issue, I am at the top of the pyramid in the division so I would like to know WHO is going to vouch for me ? I also have my own company for consulting - not possible to divulge client information to just anyone ?

I have had a look at this LP course (ok it is for the USA) and it appears to be a money grabbing scheme to trap new people (like those who pay for 6 new tyres on a car that can only use 5 at once). Oh just as a comparison, it looks like a $2k US cost for a new security officer in my state to be tested and accredited before he does his first shift and for some of these monkeys that is a month's pay.
      "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian Angel View Post
        After reading RANova's thread Online LP Training? I did some online research on LP Certification and found information announcing the creation of an industry-wide initiative to create a worldwide uniform curriculum for a new LP Certification process created by a quadruple joint venture effort of the Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA), Loss Prevention magazine, the Loss Prevention Certification Council, and the Loss Prevention Foundation.

Retailers Meet at RILA Over Loss Prevention Certification Process
        Chain Store Age
        Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Retailers met at Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA) headquarters last week to outline the details of a new Loss Prevention Certification process. Initiated through a partnership between RILA and Loss Prevention magazine, the program is designed to standardize the loss prevention education process. “This industry-wide initiative will create a common language among the entire loss prevention community through standardized education, beginning with the entry-level associate,” said RILA's Rhett Asher, VP of retail operations and loss prevention. “The certification will offer a uniform curriculum for those individuals beginning their career in loss prevention, and will expand the pool of qualified candidates for the loss prevention community.” The Loss Prevention Certification Council includes loss prevention executives from both RILA member and non-member companies, including AutoZone, Best Buy, CVS, Dollar General, Food Lion, Jack in the Box, Kohl's, Limited Brands, Lowe's, Michaels, Nike, Office Depot, Pathmark, PepBoys, Safeway, Target, TJX, Walgreen and Wal-Mart.

And here's the details of the program http://www.losspreventioncertificati...-LearnMore.htm.

If the certification is too expensive for you to pay for out-of-pocket, may I suggest seeking employment with one of the companies mentioned in the above article so they can pay for your training. I hope this thread helps all those who are interested in a career in Loss Prevention.
        Here's the issue I have with this. Every company mentioned has different policies, procedures, and operational guidelines for their LP departments. They are not on the same page. So....this certification program is going to teach the student what ....and certify them in what? I have asked this question of LP Magazine, 6 months ago, and have yet to receive an answer.

I still say there is a confict of interest between the magazine and their 'certification' program.
        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Nauticus View Post
          I think I'm going to jump the gun and call this a money grab.

I'm certified in Loss Prevention via a local security academy, and I did a full in-class course and on-field study of the profession, and the technical aspects of it. My instructor was an experienced private investigator/loss prevention officer, and he knew what he was talking about.

I cannot imagine any online LP training being effective at all. This would be a credidential, and nothing more, I think. Personally, I wouldn't pay for this - on the job experience is much better, if possible.
          Now the question becomes how valuable will LP Certification from ANY security academy be in the eyes of retailers (especially the giants) once they all adopt the approved industry-wide standards set by the multi-billion dollar leaders of the industry?

Once the LP Certification program of the industry leaders becomes the industry-wide standard I would imagine that all security academys will have to adopt that same standard inorder to work within the retail industry - to not do so would be the equivalent of an applicant applying for a job after graduating from a NON accredited institute/college/university.

Seeing the glass half empty... I would not be happy about having to pay $2,140 out-of-pocket for the certification.

Seeing the glass half full... I would be happy to have an industry-wide recognized LP Certification that is eagerly accepted by retailers.

Seeing the glass completely full... In addition to retailers' eager acceptance of my industry-wide recognized LP Certification... I immediately see three more benefits to the online LP Certification.

1st Benefit - Convienience: Since it's online you can take the training whenever you have time to do so. And you don't have to go anywhere to become certified, you can sit at home and take the training in your draws if you like.

2nd Benefit - Informative: The certification is divided into two phases... Loss Prevention Qualified which cost $645 is the first phase and is broken down into three detailed modules - completion of this phase provides the individual with the designation of "John Doe" LPQ (Loss Prevention Qualified). Loss Prevention Certified which cost $1,495 is the second phase and is broken down into five detailed modules - completion of this phase provides the individual with the distinguished designation of "John Doe" LPC (Loss Prevention Certified).

Here's the curriculum for the Loss Prevention Qualified phase: ($645)

Loss Prevention - Qualified Modules:

Module 1 - Retail Environment
          LPQ 101 - Foundations of Loss Prevention
          LPQ 102 - Basic Retail Business Operations
          LPQ 103 - The Causes Behind Loss
          LPQ 104 - Shrink Awareness
          LPQ 105 - Establishing A Controlled Environment
          LPQ 106 - Workplace Safety

Module 2 - Becoming a Successful Business Person
          LPQ 201 - A Professional Approach
          LPQ 202 - Ethics & Conduct
          LPQ 203 - What You Should Expect
          LPQ 204 - Career Growth
          LPQ 205 - Communications Skills
          LPQ 206 - Building Relationships
          LPQ 207 - Diversity
          LPQ 208 - Harassment Awareness
          LPQ 209 - Conflict Resolution

Module 3 - Loss Prevention Basics & Tools
          LPQ 301 - Vocabulary & Terminology
          LPQ 302 - External Theft
          LPQ 303 - Internal Theft
          LPQ 304 - Interviewing as a Tool
          LPQ 305 - Civil Recovery & Restitution
          LPQ 306 - Courtroom Procedures
          LPQ 307 - Physical Security
          LPQ 308 - Crisis Management & Emergency Response
          LPQ 309 - Auditing
          LPQ 310 - Employment Screening

Here's the curriculum for the Loss Prevention Certified phase: ($1,495)

Loss Prevention - Certified Modules:

Module 1 - Leadership Principles
          LPC 101 - People Leadership
          LPC 102 - Ethical Standards
          LPC 103 - Personal Development
          LPC 104 - Building And Leveraging Partnerships - Effective Working Relationships

Module 2 - Business Principles
          LPC 201 - Building An Effective Program
          LPC 202 - Financial Analysis & Accounting – The Tools
          LPC 203 - Building Operating Plans (A.K.A. Budgets)
          LPC 204 - Supply Chain Management
          LPC 205 - Managing Vendor Resources
          LPC 206 - Protection of Critical Data & Privacy

Module 3 - LP Operations
          LPC 301 - Building An LP Program
          LPC 302 - Investigations
          LPC 303 - Data Analysis
          LPC 304 - Operational and Shrink Controls
          LPC 305 - Organized Retail Crime
          LPC 306 - Pharmacy

Module 4 - Crisis Management
          LPC 401 - Core Processes
          LPC 402 - Business Continuity
          LPC 403 - Resources / Relationships

Module 5 - Supply Chain Management
          LPC 501 - The Flow of Merchandise
          LPC 502 - In-Transit Potential Opportunities for Loss & Security Measures
          LPC 503 - Distribution Center Potential Opportunities for Loss & Security

Measures
          LPC 504 - Internal & External Partnerships
          LPC 505 - Compliance
          LPC 506 - Business Disruption
          LPC 507 - Regulated Business

3rd Benefit - Effective: With the ability to... learn at your own pace, repeat the information as often as you need, and watch a variety of loss prevention dramatization scenarios - the combined audio/visual experience should make for effective learning.

Now when you take all the online audio/visual and dramatization scenarios training and apply it to actual hands on, in-store, on the job situations... in addition to the Continuing Ed training - it should make for a very successful LP Certification experience.
          Last edited by Guardian Angel; 10-15-2007, 08:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NRM_Oz View Post
            In Australia all security officers must be licenced and they must also have a 1st aid course (duh !!). In my state of NSW, we have a new licencing system which is easier to understand. If you do LP that is a seperate accred, armed work is another accred, dog handing yet another accred.

Now us old hands have to resubmit our paperwork for the 3rd time to be assessed and in my case have to either do this or attend a 40 hour course in LP. What company is going to pay for their staff to do 40 hours of LP training when some of the LP staff have done 4 - 10 years usually ?

Here is another issue, I am at the top of the pyramid in the division so I would like to know WHO is going to vouch for me ? I also have my own company for consulting - not possible to divulge client information to just anyone ?

I have had a look at this LP course (ok it is for the USA) and it appears to be a money grabbing scheme to trap new people (like those who pay for 6 new tyres on a car that can only use 5 at once). Oh just as a comparison, it looks like a $2k US cost for a new security officer in my state to be tested and accredited before he does his first shift and for some of these monkeys that is a month's pay.
            It's not just for the US... they said it's going to be a uniform worldwide standard for the retail industry.
            Last edited by Guardian Angel; 10-15-2007, 08:18 PM.

Comment

As was pointed out before, so many different companies and so many different procedures (or with slight variations) - who is going to assess them ?

Another issue especially in Australia is the use of contracted uniform and some covert LP staff by many retailers including the likes of Kmart. To save money, LP staff have been reduced to risk advisers only with a focus on some internals only - so how will this certification assist them ?

A very extensive program I read (thanks for the post) but to be honest and blunt 90% of LP staff just want to come to work and do their job - not get involved with the BS politics of the retail world so I can see this becoming a bigger issue.
              "Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer" Sun Tzu

Comment

Originally posted by Guardian Angel View Post
                Now the question becomes how valuable will LP Certification from ANY security academy be in the eyes of retailers (especially the giants) once they all adopt the approved industry-wide standards set by the multi-billion dollar leaders of the industry?

Once the LP Certification program of the industry leaders becomes the industry-wide standard I would imagine that all security academys will have to adopt that same standard inorder to work within the retail industry - to not do so would be the equivalent of an applicant applying for a job after graduating from a NON accredited institute/college/university.

Seeing the glass half empty... I would not be happy about having to pay $2,140 out-of-pocket for the certification.

Seeing the glass half full... I would be happy to have an industry-wide recognized LP Certification that is eagerly accepted by retailers.

Seeing the glass completely full... In addition to retailers' eager acceptance of my industry-wide recognized LP Certification... I immediately see three more benefits to the online LP Certification.

1st Benefit - Convienience: Since it's online you can take the training whenever you have time to do so. And you don't have to go anywhere to become certified, you can sit at home and take the training in your draws if you like.

2nd Benefit - Informative: The certification is divided into two phases... Loss Prevention Qualified which cost $645 is the first phase and is broken down into three detailed modules - completion of this phase provides the individual with the designation of "John Doe" LPQ (Loss Prevention Qualified). Loss Prevention Certified which cost $1,495 is the second phase and is broken down into five detailed modules - completion of this phase provides the individual with the distinguished designation of "John Doe" LPC (Loss Prevention Certified).

Here's the curriculum for the Loss Prevention Qualified phase: ($645)

Loss Prevention - Qualified Modules:

Module 1 - Retail Environment
                LPQ 101 - Foundations of Loss Prevention
                LPQ 102 - Basic Retail Business Operations
                LPQ 103 - The Causes Behind Loss
                LPQ 104 - Shrink Awareness
                LPQ 105 - Establishing A Controlled Environment
                LPQ 106 - Workplace Safety

Module 2 - Becoming a Successful Business Person
                LPQ 201 - A Professional Approach
                LPQ 202 - Ethics & Conduct
                LPQ 203 - What You Should Expect
                LPQ 204 - Career Growth
                LPQ 205 - Communications Skills
                LPQ 206 - Building Relationships
                LPQ 207 - Diversity
                LPQ 208 - Harassment Awareness
                LPQ 209 - Conflict Resolution

Module 3 - Loss Prevention Basics & Tools
                LPQ 301 - Vocabulary & Terminology
                LPQ 302 - External Theft
                LPQ 303 - Internal Theft
                LPQ 304 - Interviewing as a Tool
                LPQ 305 - Civil Recovery & Restitution
                LPQ 306 - Courtroom Procedures
                LPQ 307 - Physical Security
                LPQ 308 - Crisis Management & Emergency Response
                LPQ 309 - Auditing
                LPQ 310 - Employment Screening

Here's the curriculum for the Loss Prevention Certified phase: ($1,495)

Loss Prevention - Certified Modules:

Module 1 - Leadership Principles
                LPC 101 - People Leadership
                LPC 102 - Ethical Standards
                LPC 103 - Personal Development
                LPC 104 - Building And Leveraging Partnerships - Effective Working Relationships

Module 2 - Business Principles
                LPC 201 - Building An Effective Program
                LPC 202 - Financial Analysis & Accounting – The Tools
                LPC 203 - Building Operating Plans (A.K.A. Budgets)
                LPC 204 - Supply Chain Management
                LPC 205 - Managing Vendor Resources
                LPC 206 - Protection of Critical Data & Privacy

Module 3 - LP Operations
                LPC 301 - Building An LP Program
                LPC 302 - Investigations
                LPC 303 - Data Analysis
                LPC 304 - Operational and Shrink Controls
                LPC 305 - Organized Retail Crime
                LPC 306 - Pharmacy

Module 4 - Crisis Management
                LPC 401 - Core Processes
                LPC 402 - Business Continuity
                LPC 403 - Resources / Relationships

Module 5 - Supply Chain Management
                LPC 501 - The Flow of Merchandise
                LPC 502 - In-Transit Potential Opportunities for Loss & Security Measures
                LPC 503 - Distribution Center Potential Opportunities for Loss & Security

Measures
                LPC 504 - Internal & External Partnerships
                LPC 505 - Compliance
                LPC 506 - Business Disruption
                LPC 507 - Regulated Business

3rd Benefit - Effective: With the ability to... learn at your own pace, repeat the information as often as you need, and watch a variety of loss prevention dramatization scenarios - the combined audio/visual experience should make for effective learning.

Now when you take all the online audio/visual and dramatization scenarios training and apply it to actual hands on, in-store, on the job situations... in addition to the Continuing Ed training - it should make for a very successful LP Certification experience.
                I don't see this happening. The 'giants' don't even agree on the number of 'steps' needed to apprehend a shoplifter, on whether or not you can even apprehend a shoplifter, touch or no touch, conducting investigations, interviewing dishonsest employees and so much more. Companies are run based on the needs of the business and company executives. The business models and dicates of the executives are different from company to company. AS THEY SHOULD BE. Just scan the list of subject matter and the "giants' all do it differently - according to their company culture.

Another question I have about 'LP Certified' - is this going to be the industry standard when testifying in Court? Will the Courts recognize this certification when considering if someone is a qualified expert witness?
                Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Currently I work as an LP agent for a company that uses the same type of extensive online training program like the one listed above. A link to a promotional video for that program can be found here. (This is not a plug because I don't agree with the programs creativity currently.

http://www.learnitsolutions.com/LISW.../VideoLPC.html

I have taken the following classes with learn it solutions
                  LOSS PREVENTION COMPREHENSIVE
                  COURSE TOPICS INCLUDE:
                  Introduction to External Theft
                  Types of Shoplifters
                  Credit Card Fraud
                  Customer Refund Fraud
                  The Five Steps
                  Making the Approach
                  Special Circumstances
                  When You Do Not Have All Five Steps
                  Using Customer Service
                  Introduction to Internal Theft
                  Passing-Off Merchandise
                  Refund Fraud
                  Credit Fraud
                  Developing Observation Skills
                  Identifying Behavior
                  Indicators of Theft
                  General Safety Awareness
                  Code of Conduct
                  Ethics
                  Legal and Court Terminology

SENSITIVITY TRAINING FOR LOSS PREVENTION:
                  In today's multi-cultural society, a need exists for a heightened awareness and sensitivity to cultural perception and bias. Recognizing the issues increases the ability to adapt ones approach to promote and ensure consistency in professionalism and respect regardless of circumstances. This course is designed to increase Loss Prevention's self-awareness and skill development in maintaining respect in human relations

USE OF FORCE
                  COURSE TOPICS INCLUDE:
                  Reasonable Vs. Excessive Force
                  Levels Of Force
                  Threat Assessment
                  Listening Skills For Emotion and Distress
                  The Decision To Approach
                  Avoiding A Physical Altercation

LOSS PREVENTION COMPREHENSIVE ADVANCED
                  COURSE TOPICS INCLUDE:
                  The Five Steps
                  Entering A Department
                  Selecting Merchandise
                  Concealing Merchandise
                  Continuous Observation
                  Exiting Without Payment
                  Making The Approach
                  The Physical Approach
                  What To Say During an Apprehension
                  Special Circumstances
                  Fitting Room policy
                  Accomplice Cases
                  Ticket Switching
                  Non-Recovery Incidents

This program does a great job explaining the steps my company requires to make an apprehension. They are as follows.

1)see subject enter the department
                  2)selecting the merchandise
                  3)conceal the merchandise (special circumstances for fitting rooms)
                  4)continue to maintain 100% surveillance
                  5) subject passes the last point of sale and attempts to exit

learn it solutions does a great job to explain that portion of the training. However nothing else that they do is good enough to train you for real world scenarios.

My first apprehension for example

I went to apprehend a 19 year old female that had stolen a dress from me and was hiding it in her purse. I made a good solid approach identified myself and told the subject why I had stopped her and that I needed to recover the multi-colored dress that she had inside her purse. The first line out of her mouth was that I could not touch her because I would kill her unborn child. Let me state that this woman was about 110 pounds wet and did not look a bit like she was pregnant. While saying that line she attempted to push through me.

My objective is never to hurt anybody. Myself, the shoplifter, or any bystanders. So a few thoughts pass through my head.

A. This woman is very out of line to say something like this when she is stealing while carrying a baby. Get some intregrity please. This was clearly opportunity theft. She didn't need to steal this dress for resale because she was broke. Clearly stealing it because she wanted to have something to wear.

B. A lot of stress in early pregnancy could probably contribute to a miscarriage.

My final solution was this. I grabbed the bag from the subject when she was not ready for it after telling her I needed the merchandise several times. I then walked back into my store with her bag which had her ID. Called the PD and wrote my report. I turned over video surveillance to the police who picked the subject up for retail theft. However nothing in my training from learn it prepared me for that approach.

(All of the scenarios that I have seen in learn it training are under ideal circumstances for the LP. Everybody either agree's to walk back in cooperative, Attempts a very light struggle but gives up quickly after the LP person keeps talking them down. Nobody tries to fight out of the handcuffs while being put in them. Or they pull out a weapon and drop the bag of merchandise and exit the store. No scenarios where you go to make an apprehension on one subject and he has multiple friends waiting in the wings as he exits the store. No running vehicles in the fire lane.) They claim to show clips of professional shoplifters by whatever standard they see as professional. From the group of professionals I deal with day in and day out the people they present are amatures at shoplifting at best.

I think every company needs to have a reliable training program tailored to the specifications that meet what they are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Ganymede View Post
                    Currently I work as an LP agent for a company that uses the same type of extensive online training program like the one listed above. A link to a promotional video for that program can be found here. (This is not a plug because I don't agree with the programs creativity currently.

http://www.learnitsolutions.com/LISW.../VideoLPC.html

I have taken the following classes with learn it solutions
                    LOSS PREVENTION COMPREHENSIVE
                    COURSE TOPICS INCLUDE:
                    Introduction to External Theft
                    Types of Shoplifters
                    Credit Card Fraud
                    Customer Refund Fraud
                    The Five Steps
                    Making the Approach
                    Special Circumstances
                    When You Do Not Have All Five Steps
                    Using Customer Service
                    Introduction to Internal Theft
                    Passing-Off Merchandise
                    Refund Fraud
                    Credit Fraud
                    Developing Observation Skills
                    Identifying Behavior
                    Indicators of Theft
                    General Safety Awareness
                    Code of Conduct
                    Ethics
                    Legal and Court Terminology

SENSITIVITY TRAINING FOR LOSS PREVENTION:
                    In today's multi-cultural society, a need exists for a heightened awareness and sensitivity to cultural perception and bias. Recognizing the issues increases the ability to adapt ones approach to promote and ensure consistency in professionalism and respect regardless of circumstances. This course is designed to increase Loss Prevention's self-awareness and skill development in maintaining respect in human relations

USE OF FORCE
                    COURSE TOPICS INCLUDE:
                    Reasonable Vs. Excessive Force
                    Levels Of Force
                    Threat Assessment
                    Listening Skills For Emotion and Distress
                    The Decision To Approach
                    Avoiding A Physical Altercation

LOSS PREVENTION COMPREHENSIVE ADVANCED
                    COURSE TOPICS INCLUDE:
                    The Five Steps
                    Entering A Department
                    Selecting Merchandise
                    Concealing Merchandise
                    Continuous Observation
                    Exiting Without Payment
                    Making The Approach
                    The Physical Approach
                    What To Say During an Apprehension
                    Special Circumstances
                    Fitting Room policy
                    Accomplice Cases
                    Ticket Switching
                    Non-Recovery Incidents

This program does a great job explaining the steps my company requires to make an apprehension. They are as follows.

1)see subject enter the department
                    2)selecting the merchandise
                    3)conceal the merchandise (special circumstances for fitting rooms)
                    4)continue to maintain 100% surveillance
                    5) subject passes the last point of sale and attempts to exit

learn it solutions does a great job to explain that portion of the training. However nothing else that they do is good enough to train you for real world scenarios.

My first apprehension for example

I went to apprehend a 19 year old female that had stolen a dress from me and was hiding it in her purse. I made a good solid approach identified myself and told the subject why I had stopped her and that I needed to recover the multi-colored dress that she had inside her purse. The first line out of her mouth was that I could not touch her because I would kill her unborn child. Let me state that this woman was about 110 pounds wet and did not look a bit like she was pregnant. While saying that line she attempted to push through me.

My objective is never to hurt anybody. Myself, the shoplifter, or any bystanders. So a few thoughts pass through my head.

A. This woman is very out of line to say something like this when she is stealing while carrying a baby. Get some intregrity please. This was clearly opportunity theft. She didn't need to steal this dress for resale because she was broke. Clearly stealing it because she wanted to have something to wear.

B. A lot of stress in early pregnancy could probably contribute to a miscarriage.

My final solution was this. I grabbed the bag from the subject when she was not ready for it after telling her I needed the merchandise several times. I then walked back into my store with her bag which had her ID. Called the PD and wrote my report. I turned over video surveillance to the police who picked the subject up for retail theft. However nothing in my training from learn it prepared me for that approach.

(All of the scenarios that I have seen in learn it training are under ideal circumstances for the LP. Everybody either agree's to walk back in cooperative, Attempts a very light struggle but gives up quickly after the LP person keeps talking them down. Nobody tries to fight out of the handcuffs while being put in them. Or they pull out a weapon and drop the bag of merchandise and exit the store. No scenarios where you go to make an apprehension on one subject and he has multiple friends waiting in the wings as he exits the store. No running vehicles in the fire lane.) They claim to show clips of professional shoplifters by whatever standard they see as professional. From the group of professionals I deal with day in and day out the people they present are amatures at shoplifting at best.

I think every company needs to have a reliable training program tailored to the specifications that meet what they are looking for.
                    Im Shocked that the local PD didnt talk to you about "Purse Snatching." i remember a guy i worked with got in some trouble at work over somthing like that. i would think that somthing like that is governed by State Law and Store Proceadure.

My first encounter was watching my partner get Shot-Putted over a cart, that ended him a swift tackle... Cuffed and re cuffed to the booking room seat. id rather your situation over mine any day.
                    sigpic

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X