X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disgusted with LP boards

Disillusioned with LP Forums
    For some time now I have been part of various forums. These forums cover a wide gambit of topics such as TV, unexplained mysteries, legal issues and yes Loss Prevention. Now even the legal websites (forums) are not frequented by many with actual legal experience although there are some. For most part there are filled with average Joes sharing their knowledge and googling information for those who ask questions. Of all these sites only the LP sites are designed for and used by those in LP profession or related. You expect some sense of professionalism. Now years ago I joined LPI and was pleased with the professionalism that took place there even when there was disagreement. Over the last 18 months or so that professionalism disappeared. Before my departure from LPI I found other sites like this one. Sadly the banter, name-calling, insults and threats were part of nearly all threads. No one can agree to disagree. Is this how we want others to see us? Fighting argueing and threaening each other? Look what we have become! Children in a schoolyard get along better than we do and we should be comrades. It seems LP has lost its focus! At least on these forums it has. Everyone wants to be right! The most popular threads on any site are the ones with all the arguement. Many find fault with both Lynch and Skeptic for their views that LP is a failure. They are correct! If we cannot behave in a professional manner on a simple forum shared by our peers how can we make wise decisions! Many are pro arrest. I am not. I agree with Lynch arresting shoplifters is a failure! It means you "failed" to prevent the lost. Where I disagree is that I feel the subject should be arrested (When prevention fails) but arrest not be the focus. We come from different retailers with different views we are not going to agree! While we continue to exchange insults and other means to harm or discredit our peers we hurt all in LP field! we post on public forums for all to see. Is this the example we want to set for those who are new to LP or just happen to be reading? We are all arrest motivated bullying jerks who can't even get along with each other? That we make up bizzare stories to boost our inflated egos!That is why I chose to no longer participate on these boards. This is not because of one isolated issue on one website or even because of one person. This is because of the overall lack of professionalism over all LP boards. Am I guilty as well of the afore mentioned yes I am! I too have been ruled by my anger and that is wrong. I am adult enough to admit it. I have children all whom I raised to be better than this. I must lead by example. Recently a different career path has been thrown my way. One that might or might not relate to my LP experience. Its a choice I needed to make. With recent events (several) both online and off I come to realize the vicious circle I am caught in and how wrong it is to condone this behavior by staying here. Many of you know me and my email and any contact is fine but I am leaving all LP boards I currently belong to as I feel they do LP more harm than good and they make me less of the person I want to be. I admit my wrongs and faults and acknowledge them. Many here on all levels of LP should look at yourself and your post and decide for yourself is this how you want to be perceived? Its time we all took a look at ourselves and honest look I know I have. All of you be proud of what you are and who you are but be not so closed minded that you block the truth. Loss Prevention/Asset protection is a wonderful field of work don't let pride and ego rule you and thus embarrass yourself and your profession. I suspect some of you willpost with glee at my departure and even use this to call me coward or more names. Nothing is further from the truth I just decided I needed to be around mature adults. I have bickered with many of you and came out without scars. I have lost some battles and won some I have not kept score. I respect all opinions. I am not ceasing posting on other non LP related sites as I realize there are many from all walks of life there and anyone can post. Its the LP sites, that alledgley have LP professional on them that I am leaving. I feel that participation condones this inapproiate behavior I have seen over the last 18 months or so. Discuss them among yourselves as I will not be returning. I do realize many will say good riddance which only proves my point. We are peers and should be working together our differences are assets. I do not want to say all who post on these various LP sites are guilty but there is enough of you (myself included) to warrant this action. Too many cannot see past the different opinions and thats where you make all of LP look like children. We are not children and should act as professionals. This decision was not made quickly or without thought nor is it due to any one event. I thought this over for days and discusse dit with family and peers. I feel it is the best choice for me. To all of you even those who dislike me I say goodbye and best wishes and I hope you find the joy your seeking

Paragraphs, spelling and punctuation would make this more readable....maybe.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Rambling rants never have such things, Curt.
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Curtis, Nathan:
        LP threads and responses from forum members give perspectives to those who have never been exposed to that particular working environment. To most of us, it is part of a never ending learning cycle.
        Remember the discussion we had on light sprectra? Some members thought it was out in left field until you and I explained security was involved in that aspect of the whole, part, whole which involves a part of our craft.
        Enjoy the day,
        Bill

Comment

Locking Thread

I'm locking the thread. The first post was posted on a number of websites and is nothing more than a rant.
          Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
          Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X