No announcement yet.

Gang-Banggin!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am now working at a college about 200 miles from Des Moines, after having retired from the Calif Dept of Corrections. I may have some ideas for you concerning your mall, p.m. me if you like.
    Murphy was an optomist.

Comment

I recommend searching policeone.com, and they have extensive info on gangs, or sometimes in the chat room, you can talk to Bob himself, and he can really fill you in on what you want to know.
      Never make a drummer mad; we beat things for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by S1SRM
        I am new to this group. I do know Chuck that is a member on here. The reason I am writing is I need to vent!
        Tonight was the worst night I have had as security manager in my mall in South Des Moines. I was off tonight when I got a call about two different gangs fighting on our property. Upon arrival there were 3 Des Moines Police crusers already on the scene. The groups of 150 to 200 wannabes had dispersed into smaller groups it took all 5 of our security officers and my self along with 3 Police officers to finally clear these groups out. I feel we were just plain overwhelmed and out manned. One thing I noticed is they have no fear of anything...I mean 13 to 16 year old teens smart mouthing the police as if they could do nothing to them. I would love to put a cufew in effect, however that idea will have to be sold to the owners.
        Ahhhh, good old Southridge. 150 to 200 gang bangers? Musta been a convention.

Don't worry, partner. Most of those "gang bangers" are just a lot of hot air. Send one bouncing on his butt out the door, and see how fast the others disappear. BTDT in the 'hood a long time ago.

But at the same time, don't ever take any fool chances. You don't get paid enough for that where you work.

P.S. I know Paul, and I know Gary.
        Never make a drummer mad; we beat things for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by S1SRM
          I am new to this group. I do know Chuck that is a member on here. The reason I am writing is I need to vent!
          Tonight was the worst night I have had as security manager in my mall in South Des Moines. I was off tonight when I got a call about two different gangs fighting on our property. Upon arrival there were 3 Des Moines Police crusers already on the scene. The groups of 150 to 200 wannabes had dispersed into smaller groups it took all 5 of our security officers and my self along with 3 Police officers to finally clear these groups out. I feel we were just plain overwhelmed and out manned. One thing I noticed is they have no fear of anything...I mean 13 to 16 year old teens smart mouthing the police as if they could do nothing to them. I would love to put a cufew in effect, however that idea will have to be sold to the owners.
          An idea would be that teenagers must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian after a set time, e.g., 6pm or 7pm. I know the Mall of America here in Minnesota has some sort of similar policy in effect, but I think it may only be on the weekends... although I cannot be 100% certain.

Making such policy effective really depends on a number of factors...
          • How late the mall is open.
          • Security staffing levels during the times when the policy would be in effect.
          • Support from the local police.
          • Impact on mall tenants (if the teens don't spend much, this isn't a big deal)
          • And more that I am not thinking of at the moment.

I'm not a mall expert, but I feel that restricting teenagers from the mall (w/o parent/guardian supervision) might be your best bet.

Do any other forum members who have experience with these problems have any opinions? Mall Director, you got any ideas?
          "To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the highest skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the highest skill." Sun-Tzu

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
          Working...
          X