Gang-Banggin!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gang-Banggin!!

As some of you may know I am the Director of Public Safety (security) for a local mall in michigan, we are having a gang wanna be problem here. The problem is we cant say "wanna be" since they have someting to prove and nothing to loose! Any idea where I can go on line for some goos intel???
    I am firefighter with air force cop experience and have never had this issue!
    Thanks
    USAF SECURITY POLICE....AMERICAS 911

Here's some of the sites I use fairly often. Do you know what Gang your dealing with? Also, check to see if your local LE has a gang-unit, or at least a gang-Detective.

http://www.iir.com/nygc/default.htm
    http://www.great-online.org/
    http://www.helpinggangyouth.com/

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyhat
      ... Also, check to see if your local LE has a gang-unit, or at least a gang-Detective.
      I like this suggestion because you don't have to "reinvent the wheel." You are wise to crack down on this trend before it gets a foot-hold. Gangs are SERIOUS trouble for a Mall because customers will not come if they feel unsafe. Few customers + low revenue = no Mall.
      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Another resource that was given to me was www.knowgangs.com. Also see some forum posts on gang identifcation and suppression.

Contact your local police's gang unit. If the kids are marking territory or other symbols on your property, document those symbols, then promptly destroy them.

From what I've been told, using a black marker and drawing a single / through the symbol is enough to "disrespect" the gang, and make their presence unwanted. Doing this for awhile, instead of simply covering it up, makes a bold statement to the gang: You are not in power here, we are. Verify this with your local gang unit, it could mean something completely different where you are.

If you have MS-13 wannabes, consider stab armor.
        Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Knowing I have not worked in a mall envirroment, but I have notice the signs getting bigger and bigger for some local malls. I know one mall that you are not allowed to walk in more than a group of 4. The director of security at the mall had sat down with some local law makers, county detectives and local L/E. Theywere able to create ordinances out of some of the mall rules or what you may have.
          Last edited by hemi444; 01-25-2006, 04:43 AM.

Comment

N.A. Corbier offers sound advise. Heed it! When such vests are touted as offering puncture (knife or spike) protection, ensure the fully meet the H.P. White Laboratory 0400.02 standard or NIJ stab certification 0115.00. Remember well, vests offering only NIJ stab certification 0115.00 offer no, as in none, ballistic protection.
            Again, N.A., nice touch.
            Enjoy the day,
            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Warnock
              N.A. Corbier offers sound advise. Heed it! When such vests are touted as offering puncture (knife or spike) protection, ensure the fully meet the H.P. White Laboratory 0400.02 standard or NIJ stab certification 0115.00. Remember well, vests offering only NIJ stab certification 0115.00 offer no, as in none, ballistic protection.
              Again, N.A., nice touch.
              Enjoy the day,
              Bill
              If you start pissing wannabe gang members off, they may not know well enough not to attract more attention by attacking you. Real gang members probally wouldn't waste the effort and draw attention. Wannabes... "Its just a guard, nobody'll care if I stick him a little."

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

If you are protecting a private mall facility, you have the right to exclude individuals from the property for any reason. Check with your local authorities, and legal counsel, to see what is needed to issue (and enforce) trespass admonishment notices. Secondly, if you are faced with vandalism, consider using plain-clothed officers to identify the individuals responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by Sampson
                  If you are protecting a private mall facility, you have the right to exclude individuals from the property for any reason. Check with your local authorities, and legal counsel, to see what is needed to issue (and enforce) trespass admonishment notices. Secondly, if you are faced with vandalism, consider using plain-clothed officers to identify the individuals responsible.
                  Something else to think about is with it being private property you also have the right to search bags, backpacks etc as a way to let the GBs KNOW that you know and who they are.

As was also pointed out wannabes may think they have something to prove once you start after them. Be careful! If you have a confrontation have PLENTY of back-up.

Comment

Great advice thanks guys!
                    The first few things I did was.
                    Ban- colors! ( just the stupid rags they carry or wear)
                    no groups of more then 4
                    and we do have a Ban policy in effect for idiots
                    Thanks!!
                    ALARM CLOCK: (noun) "a small Mechicanial device used to wake those without small childern!!
                    USAF SECURITY POLICE....AMERICAS 911

Comment

Another thing to look for is signs from different sets. If those signs have a "K" on the immediate right side of the insignia, you may have a potential powderkeg of violence. When I was an LP in Chicago, our bathroom got tagged up quite a bit. Mainly Vice Lords and GDs, eventually some members from each set crossed paths in the parking lot... It wasn't pretty.

Comment

Gang-Banggin!!

FiremanKoz,
                        I am also a Public Safety Director at a Mall in Des Moiines Iowa. (1.2 Million Sq. FT)
                        I too have the gang problems, along with the teen age kids.
                        I have just put together a Code of Conduct, and had it approved by Management.
                        I will be placing this on all the doors, and also hand out to violators.
                        I am also a little lucky, in that my Manager lets me hire off-duty Police Officers to assist my Public Safety Officers. This has helped out, and will increase our numbers when this goes into effect.
                        Also I have a presentation form Des Moines Police Gang unit on identifying the Gang signs and the Gangs.
                        Schampcpp

Comment

Outstanding. Good method of using the local police gang unit to assist your PSOs in identifying real gang members, their grafitti, etc.

Are the off-duty police officers available to enforce policy, or are they restricted to enforcement of criminal statute only?

Comment

Gang-Banggin!!

They assist with our policies also. They assist my Officers when we are trespassing someone from the Mall. They do not arrest the person, they just assist us in getting them back to the Squa room to trespass.
                            My relationship with the Officers starts at the top. I make the Chiefs aware of the actions of their Officers, and also send them an employee evaluation sheet annually. This is the dame thing that I do for my Officers.

FiremanKoz, Are you going to the ICSC Security Conference 4/2-4/4?
                            This group has the same problems that you and I are having. If you need the Gang material, send me an e-mail, and I will send the information to you. That goes for all that need it.
                            Thanks,
                            Chuckles

Comment

I work at a california mall and here is how we deal with gang wanabees. We kick them out if they have a rag on of any color. If they throw up gang signs and we catch them on camera we make a tape and turn it into the gang task force. If we see grafitti we take a picture of it and clean it off ASAP. Then we turn the picture into the police. If we get alot of gang members coming in we call P.D. and ask for an officer to do a walk through. We are not allowed to carry any defense. only handcuffs. So we let P.D. do all the crap work. There has been many times when we had to jump into some gang fights and get threatened. But thats our job.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X