Shoplifting Apprehension Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lynch Mob
    I did not see an attempt to flee. I saw him being pushed backward. I just looked at it again to make sure.
    The subject turns 90 degress to the right and runs to the side as the primary officer attempts to grab his arms. Then we see the officers wrestling with the subject outside. Or do you believe that the officers pushed him backwards through the entire foyer, then pushed him outside the second set of doors to the exterior of the store?

You assume he was known to them as dangerous.
    I said neither of us know that for sure. Whether or not he was could change how we perceive the officers' actions in that video.

You assume they identified themselves.
    Yes, because that's standard procedure, just like I assume they observed him commit a theft before attempting to stop them. I have no reason to question those basic elements, because I don't have any evidence to the contrary.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you actually were in some capacity at some point in your career to actually make an apprehension. Why would I automatically question whether or not your stop was legitimate or whether you identified yourself based on a short video clip of the situation?

Comment

Originally posted by LPGuy View Post
      The subject turns 90 degress to the right and runs to the side as the primary officer attempts to grab his arms. Then we see the officers wrestling with the subject outside. Or do you believe that the officers pushed him backwards through the entire foyer, then pushed him outside the second set of doors to the exterior of the store? He turned to the left, not the right, when he was confronted. That is why the bag, in his left hand, went up. He proceeded to backpedal to the other side of the foyer with the LP agent grabbing his arms. It is interesting how your interpretation of the video changes as you need it to. First he put his hands up and squared off in an aggressive stance, now you have him turning and running. It can't be both.

I said neither of us know that for sure. Whether or not he was could change how we perceive the officers' actions in that video. Neither of us know for sure, but you make claims that you assume to be true, such as your assumptions in your next statement, without knowing anything. Then you proceed to tell everyone that we don't know for sure what is going on, so we should not assume things. You can't make all the assumptions and tell everyone else not to assume things.

Yes, because that's standard procedure, just like I assume they observed him commit a theft before attempting to stop them. I have no reason to question those basic elements, because I don't have any evidence to the contrary. As I said, you are assuming a lot. You assume standard procedure is being followed, yet you chastise people who claim to know what "standard procedure" is at JCP. Why would you assume standard procedure is followed when others have told you it is not? Standard procedure is to NOT go hands on, yet the agents did that. Why would they be following standard procedures by identifying themselves? The did not have badges or ID out, but you assume they were yelling it. Even as the first guys lips are not moving.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that you actually were in some capacity at some point in your career to actually make an apprehension. Why would I automatically question whether or not your stop was legitimate or whether you identified yourself based on a short video clip of the situation? When you see a stop where procedures are ignored, policy is not followed and mayhem breaks out, you might want to be smart enough to question whether the stop was even good or not. It is just the smart thing to do.
      Despite your jab about me not CURRENTLY being in a postion to apprehend shoplifters, I can say with certainty that I have made more shoplift apprehensions in my lifetime than you have. With over 700 apprehensions in my rearview mirror, it puts me in a great position to fully understand every element and danger in making apprehensions. And, considering that out of those 700 + apprehensions I never had a situation break out like the one in this short clip, it is very easy to critique the failures on the part of LP that CREATED the problem.

By the way, those 700 apprehensions happened in less than 3 years of work. True, I have not made a shoplift apprehension in more than 12 years now, but that does not mean that I cannot spot bad LP work. It has been almost 20 years since I worked as a police officer and I can still spot a drunk driver too.
      www.plsolutions.net
      www.customerloyaltysolutions.com

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
      Working...
      X