Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Certification

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New Certification

    On another post there was talk of CPO & CPP and are somewhat well known. I have recently seen some new certification available this year for Loss Prevention. Anyone know more about it than that what we see in the web page?
    http://www.losspreventioncertification.com/
    Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
    Groucho Marx

  • #2
    First Question:
    Who is the Retail Leaders Association, and the first sponsor, which looks like a magazine called LOSS PREVENTION?

    Second Question:
    It says they're accredited. By whom?
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

    "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

    Comment


    • #3
      Rila

      Here's a link to the information:

      http://www.losspreventionmagazine.co...ification.html

      RILA is Retail Industry Leaders Association, an arm of the National Retail Federation (NRF).

      The magazine has started the new certification. I'm not sure the retail loss prevention industry is ready for another certification, but have decided to remain on the positive side.
      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
      Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

      Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Security Consultant
        Here's a link to the information:

        http://www.losspreventionmagazine.co...ification.html

        RILA is Retail Industry Leaders Association, an arm of the National Retail Federation (NRF).

        The magazine has started the new certification. I'm not sure the retail loss prevention industry is ready for another certification, but have decided to remain on the positive side.
        I've been watching this too. My thought is that a magazine seems to me to be somewhat of an unusual sponsor for certification, even if it is one of the leading publications in the field. Having worked with all kinds of certs in many fields, I can't think of any others sponsored by a magazine. Whether rightly or wrongly, this raises at least a slight question in my mind. However, I agree with you that it might prove to be a positive thing.
        Last edited by SecTrainer; 03-16-2007, 10:56 PM.
        "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

        "I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

        "There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

        "History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SecTrainer
          I've been watching this too. My thought is that a magazine seems to me to be somewhat of an unusual sponsor for certification, even if it is one of the leading publications in the field. Having worked with all kinds of certs in many fields, I can't think of any others sponsored by a magazine. Whether rightly or wrongly, this raises at least a slight question in my mind. However, I agree with you that it might prove to be a positive thing.
          Currently, I view the magazine as one giant advertisement for the companies who employ the 25 people on the editorial board. Look at all the articles and then check against the names on the board. In the January - February issue Jack Trlica, Editor and Publisher, adresses this concern , "Constructive Criticism".
          Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
          Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

          Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Security Consultant
            Currently, I view the magazine as one giant advertisement for the companies who employ the 25 people on the editorial board. Look at all the articles and then check against the names on the board. In the January - February issue Jack Trlica, Editor and Publisher, adresses this concern , "Constructive Criticism".
            Seems like there's a lot of blatant commercialism in so many security publications, doesn't it? I don't mean the space devoted to legitimate ads, but the so-called "articles" that purport to be objective discussions but merely push "solutions" that, strangely enough, are products in which the author or his employer have a financial interest. And it's not just the mags. When I joined ASIS I had to buy a shredder just devoted to the constant stream of mail-outs that started to pour in, every one of which was selling something (usually, a high-priced seminar that I just couldn't afford to miss).

            I suffer from seminar fog as it is...that strange malady where you know you attended something in Dallas or Memphis or Bugtussle, but for the life of you, you can't remember much of anything about it except that the nonsmoking room you reserved smelled like a bar and they lost your bag on the flight home.

            ...as for the seminars where I was going to learn "something new and different I'd never heard about" and didn't hear anything new or different, well, we shall not speak of those....
            Last edited by SecTrainer; 03-17-2007, 11:21 PM.
            "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

            "I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

            "There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

            "History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

            Comment


            • #7
              This is how associations stay in business.
              Some Kind of Commando Leader

              "Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
                This is how associations stay in business.
                Yes, I suppose so.
                "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

                "I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

                "There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

                "History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

                Comment

                Leaderboard

                Collapse
                Working...
                X