Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on the Amazon Go shopping model?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on the Amazon Go shopping model?

A store with no check out lines - interesting. The first issue I can see is the security of the app - somebody will figure out a way to clean out the store and bill it to a fake account or someone else.

While it might be OK for groceries, I would imagine some people wouldn't want the store to know who they are if they were buying copious amounts of alcohol, cigarettes or personal items. (I'm sure Amazon in the future will be happy to help health insurance companies identify heavy smokers and alcoholics based on their purchases. If you think your insurance company isn't snooping on you already, you're behind the times.)

I'm interested to see if this catches on quickly, or is just Amazon trying to eliminate more human jobs with mixed results.

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
    A store with no check out lines - interesting. The first issue I can see is the security of the app - somebody will figure out a way to clean out the store and bill it to a fake account or someone else.

While it might be OK for groceries, I would imagine some people wouldn't want the store to know who they are if they were buying copious amounts of alcohol, cigarettes or personal items. (I'm sure Amazon in the future will be happy to help health insurance companies identify heavy smokers and alcoholics based on their purchases. If you think your insurance company isn't snooping on you already, you're behind the times.)

I'm interested to see if this catches on quickly, or is just Amazon trying to eliminate more human jobs with mixed results.
    I once bought handcuffs and a pocket knife on amazon (the handcuffs were to practice for a training course, and the pocket knife was a gift for someone). The "other things you may be interested in" suggestions were.....disturbing.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post

So on the issue of the app being secure. I have no doubt in my mind that there will be insecurities but allot of that stuff is easier said than done. Allot of the failures of security in computer stuff is due to people still using "password" as a password and such. Or the bored 23 year old downloading **** on the company server. stuff like that.

That being said I cant wait till this comes to my area. I already pay a local grocery store 5 dollars to pre-shop and if I can do it on amazon or have a drone drop it off or just walk in an scan a phone and such. I will do that in a heart beat.

Also as far as the security of the app companies have programs that you can sign up for to get money and such depending on the bug you find. Like for instance AT&T offers between 250 and 20,000 dollars depending on the severity of the bug or vulnerability someone finds.

https://bugcrowd.com/
      Last edited by jaime_lion; 04-05-2017, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Great idea, IMO, so great in fact I myself thought of this as soon as I heard about RFID tags being super cheap. I also though of self checkout as soon as I saw scanners in supermarkets.

I'll avoid using human bank tellers if ATM onsite.

Another thing I'd like to see is automatic prep washed ready to use fresh vegi dispensers in supermarkets. I'd even go a step further and be able to get complex recipe orders filled automatically. 1/4 cup of minced shallots, 1tbs crushed garlic, 1/2 cup julian carrots, 1 cup 1/2" cubed turnip, 1/2cup 1/4" sliced leeks, etc. Everything comes in individually instantly sealed plastic continuous bags. Select a recipe and number of servings and the machine does the rest. Probably spec by volume but sold by weight in USA. Could also be done for most popular sliced fresh meats. Japan would do it first.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X