Fights break out in malls in the East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fights break out in malls in the East

ttps://www.yahoo.com/news/mall-fights-send-post-holiday-shoppers-scrambling-exits-043803733.html

Multiple brawls at malls as shoppers look for post-holiday deals. Once again, indications that some were organized (or fanned) on social media. As much as people joke about mall ninjas, I'm starting to think a mall "rapid response team" might actually be a thing in the future, and not just at the largest ones.

Ultimately as a private organization, shopping centres in general are only going to do what they feel is necessary to minimize liability. As long as their guards are doing everything the courts will expect them to, they are happy.

That being said, there could be more that mall owners and similar locations can do. One way might be to introduce/beef up intelligence. Now by "intelligence" I don't mean "secret squirrel ninja" stuff, with satellite dishes, espionage, wiretaps, etc.; it can be something as simple as someone (say a guard on the night shift) googling the mall's name, keeping an eye on Facebook groups of local organizations etc.

Comment

Exactly. Police departments are already doing it. Without getting into specifics, one site I worked management monitored a group on Facebook that utilized the clubhouse frequently. Often times they would fudge the numbers as to how many people would be at a party, but the FB traffic would give us a good idea of how much security presence would be needed.

Malls should also expect trouble before / after holidays, etc.

Comment

Malls should have EXCELLENT video, including low angle shots where you can look up into standard issue Hoodie or Baseball cap wearing thugglet's face for positive ID. Then offer some cash, or just do a computer enhanced photo compare with HS and even Jr HS yearbook photos (I can hear the screaming already about "targeting CHILDREN"). Then, go to court and get a nice judgement against their PARENTS (both, including if divorced or separated).

Going to court sounds expensive but IMO shouldn't be much more than that Civil Penalty levied on shoplifters, and it would be an en mass robo-signing sort of thing. Judge looking at huge stack of CCTV photos with yearbook photo matchups and parents names and address.

Comment

Shows again that squid doesn't understand the law or how it works.

Comment

The problem with any retail or public facility is ease of access. While we've come to expect a higher level of security (restricted access / movement) at airports and government buildings, we wouldn't tolerate it at Target or the grocery store.

The problem with property crimes is a) ease of action (you don't have to be real bright to do it), 2) low probability of being caught, especially in mob situations, and 3) low penalties. I'm not sure we can do anything at this point to deal with #2 or #3 without the public buying in - any kind of diversion programs for juveniles or even more jails would cost $$, and nobody wants their taxes raised in this economy.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
              The problem with any retail or public facility is ease of access. While we've come to expect a higher level of security (restricted access / movement) at airports and government buildings, we wouldn't tolerate it at Target or the grocery store.

The problem with property crimes is a) ease of action (you don't have to be real bright to do it), 2) low probability of being caught, especially in mob situations, and 3) low penalties. I'm not sure we can do anything at this point to deal with #2 or #3 without the public buying in - any kind of diversion programs for juveniles or even more jails would cost $$, and nobody wants their taxes raised in this economy.
              You've also got the problem where shopping malls are facing severe competition from strip malls, "power centres" (think strip malls but with large stores like Wal-Mart, grocery stores, etc..) and online shopping. Retailers don't want to create any barriers to get people into their stores.

Comment

Right on, Console. I am a prime example - I go to the mall once or twice a year, and only because family want to go. Stories like this just reinforce my choice to shop elsewhere.

I get Squid's idea, but Soper is right - juveniles are a "protected class," even when in public (i.e. you probably couldn't even access a juvenile booking photo without some kind of extra approval). The other problem is economics - cameras with facial recognition capability are still a big ticket item, and managers can't or won't budget for them.

IMHO, this is a wake-up call for malls. Shrinkage is budgeted in for retail, but at some point mall managers may have to face a harsh reality - if shoppers don't feel safe or the shops are losing too much money, they'll have to change, or face a lot of empty store fronts...

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
                  I think you are right, under current law, or even if new specific laws were passed, it would be hard to get a judgement on an individual for just 'being there' during a riot without video of him actually doing damage.

Maybe a big fat juvi-criminal court fine for "participating in a riot", but it would still be hard for any judge to honestly rule Beyond A Reasonable Doubt that they weren't actually "victims" or even "heard about a 'protest' but just wanted to go as school newspaper reporters", or "heard about it, so went to protect little sister" etc.

Comment

You know the more I read Squid's posts the more I think he actually DOES have his **** together, even though he does poke fun around here.

It's you and Psychosteve who are behaving unprofessionally

Comment

I sorta like The Mall vs Downtown.

ValleyFair (where the recently famous big Draw Down happened) had a radio ad few years back against downtown San Jose holiday shopping. It bashed the parking problem of downtown with some guy being accosted by an "officer" for illegal parking in some confusing zone scheme asking "where is your Xtmas spirit?" to which the officer responds "where is your Driver's Lic?". Exactly. That and the fact known criminals are perfectly free hang out right next to your car for auto breakin as soon as you turn your back. The cops defend criminal's Rights to do that while mercilessly targeting nice folks for tickets and towing.

I mentioned a friend had left her junky wagon parked at Valley Fair for days and they were nothing but helpful jump starting it when asked, no charge, no ticket, not even a warning notice.

Private biz will always trump public spaces. At least a Mall can 86 the bums, and is free to use smarts to hire and deploy security to address actual issues, versus some bassackwards political agenda.
                      Last edited by Squid; 12-31-2016, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ingio Montoya View Post

You know the more I read Squid's posts the more I think he actually DOES have his **** together, even though he does poke fun around here.

It's you and Psychosteve who are behaving unprofessionally
                        No. Try reading his posts. He doesn't have a grasp on reality. At all. As for his professionalism, it's just a matter of time before he gets his guard card pulled.

Comment

No. Try reading his posts. He doesn't have a grasp on reality. At all. As for his professionalism, it's just a matter of time before he gets his guard card pulled.
                          No I think he's pulling your chain.

Comment

He's just another troll.

Comment

We've been dealing with kids at the store for the past few years. It's gotten more violent this year (2016) as opposed to previous years. More resisting arrest and ab/pop charges than before.
                              Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X