Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• #1TPS
    replied
    Actually the TPS can carry handcuffs but they can only use them if the APS or ETL-AP is making a stop and the person being detained becomes combative. I know for a fact that some APS's don't even carry cuffs and just let the TPS carry them since carrying handcuffs can sometimes be somewhat noisy and can alert shoplifters depending on which kind of cuffs they carry.

What the TPS carry are handcuffs, flashlight, radio, and disposable gloves. I believe more stores are having TPS's carry a phone from the store in case the TPS's need to be contacted.

Leave a comment:

• LPGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
    I spoke with the local TPS at our store, telling him that I wanted a job there... After some confidence building, handing him a business card, he opened way up to me, and told me, "You don't want this job. We're not allowed to touch anyone. We just tell people to keep back while the APS arrests the guy."

He was not authorized to carry anything, and was only issued a Target Radio and a white cordless phone. I asked him if he was authorized to wear anything else, and he said, "No, the APS carries handcuffs, but TPS is strictly hands off."

I have never seen a uniformed person carry a cordless phone in a radio case before.
    That is probably specific to that Target region then. The local TPSs in my area all wear dark blue professional looking uniforms with a nice badge to boot. They wear duty belts and carry handcuffs. I've heard them talking about making apprehensions before, but from what I understand, the apprehension must be initiated by an APS.

LOL at the TPS for giving away trade secrets so openly, by the way...

Leave a comment:

• LPCap
    replied
    I have seen them carry a pouch full of quarters...oh wait that was in a movie

Here is a surveillance pic of a TPS in action...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f1...tics/horse.jpg

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    I spoke with the local TPS at our store, telling him that I wanted a job there... After some confidence building, handing him a business card, he opened way up to me, and told me, "You don't want this job. We're not allowed to touch anyone. We just tell people to keep back while the APS arrests the guy."

He was not authorized to carry anything, and was only issued a Target Radio and a white cordless phone. I asked him if he was authorized to wear anything else, and he said, "No, the APS carries handcuffs, but TPS is strictly hands off."

I have never seen a uniformed person carry a cordless phone in a radio case before.

Leave a comment:

• LPGuy
    replied
    Originally posted by LPCap
    Lets see the TPS in action. You will mostly see the APS, but the TPS will come into quite a few shots wearing the typical white security shirt and black pants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDdyWLDpI8M

Most of the apprehending is done by the APS and the police while the TPS does nothing.

This is not to negate the importance of the TPS, but just to show you what you will be doing.
    I think this is more than likely the exception rather than the norm. The female TPS in the white shirt/black pants looked extremely inexperienced and incompetent. It appears that she made one feeble attempt to assist the APS in controlling the resisting shoplifter's hands and then backed off. She then appears to take out a pair of handcuffs and wait for the APS to gain control of the guy. Then she appears to be calling 911 on her cell phone and performing crowd control. When the police arrive and everyone is still struggling with this guy, she looks confused as to what to do, so she pushes the evidence (a rolling trash can) out of the way and then stands around again.

Perhaps the APS called her off when she attempted to assist. I don't know. But if she's physically unable or unwilling to perform the job and assist her fellow officer who is struggling with an active resister, she needs to look for a new line of work. Now.

I had an identical situation occur where a male shoplifter ran when we approached in the parking lot. I pursued and ended up wrestling the guy while trying to control his hands. My female officer ended up going back to retrieve the guy's backpack that he had dropped and stood around calling into her radio for police assistance while I was still struggling to get the guy into handcuffs. Not once did she assist in controlling him. Needless to say, I wasn't happy about that.

Leave a comment:

• LPCap
    replied
    Look about 2 1/2 minutes into the video...you will see a guy talking on the phone getting leveled by the police, then comes the APS, the white shirt. What is up with that?

Leave a comment:

• LPCap
    replied
    Lets see the TPS in action. You will mostly see the APS, but the TPS will come into quite a few shots wearing the typical white security shirt and black pants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDdyWLDpI8M

Most of the apprehending is done by the APS and the police while the TPS does nothing.

This is not to negate the importance of the TPS, but just to show you what you will be doing.

Leave a comment:

• Lynch Mob
    replied
    Originally posted by LPGuy
    LP, since their plainclothes. It's hard to say whether they missed any opportunities for any DT stuff--counter joints, pressure points, etc. I wasn't there. But they did a take-down and controlled his arms, which was important. All in all they got him handcuffed and controlled--nice job.

Fortunately ( ), CopWatch was on the scene with their trusty videocamera to capture any potential use of excessive force. The suspect was playing to the crowd, of course--"I can't breath!" (yet you can yell--how does that work?), "You punched me!", "I'm not resisting!" etc.

The people in the crowd really irked me, though. "Do you have this authority?" Oh, no, I'm just robbing this guy but asking you to call the police in the meantime.... seriously, come on. "Let me see your badge!" Oh, right, I'll let go of this active resister to assure you I'm who I say I am.

Idiots.
    The stop was clearly done by guys who had no idea on how to control a suspect. Of course, this is typical LP stuff.

I always love when LP guys feel the need to wear gloves. It just screams "looking for a fight".

Leave a comment:

• Lynch Mob
    replied
    I find all this debate interesting.

If you have a problem with the same shoplifters coming in again and again, the problem is you. It doesn't matter whether you choose to deter or apprehend. If they keep coming back over and over, you are doing something wrong.

Apprehension is no more effective than deterrence, and in fact, in my experience, far less effective. The reason is simple. You can deter many more people than you can apprehend. In a single hour, you could potentially deter dozens of shoplifters. You could apprehend one, unless there is a group together.

Now the question comes in as to who is more likely to come back. I have seen shoplifters I have apprehended come back within a week. It happens. I would agree that more often they do not come back again, at least not right away, but apprehension does not guarantee that they will not be back again. With deterrence, it all comes down to the consistency of deterrence. If someone comes in and gets deterred from stealing, they will probably come back. If they come back a second time and experience the same service that deters them again, they are less likely to come back again. If they come back a third time and are deterred again, they will give up trying to steal from your store.

Now, in comparison. Say someone comes in and shoplifts and nobody sees them. They will surely be back. Now, they come in a second time and it is easy to steal again. They come in ten more times and it is easy to steal again. On the 11th attempt to steal, they get caught. Will they be back again? Most likely. If the odds of getting caught are less than 10% they will probably keep coming back over and over. When you consider that the average shoplifter gets away with stealing at least 50 times before they get caught, catching them really has little impact on whether they will be back again or not.

This is why deterrence strategy is more effective. You can more consistently deter a larger group of potential shoplifters who will ultimately decide to do their shoplifting elsewhere.

Now that is Loss Prevention.

Leave a comment:

• LPGuy
    replied
    Here is a video of LP (or mall security??)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9T-vuk5rw_Y

Comments...
    LP, since their plainclothes. It's hard to say whether they missed any opportunities for any DT stuff--counter joints, pressure points, etc. I wasn't there. But they did a take-down and controlled his arms, which was important. All in all they got him handcuffed and controlled--nice job.

Fortunately ( ), CopWatch was on the scene with their trusty videocamera to capture any potential use of excessive force. The suspect was playing to the crowd, of course--"I can't breath!" (yet you can yell--how does that work?), "You punched me!", "I'm not resisting!" etc.

The people in the crowd really irked me, though. "Do you have this authority?" Oh, no, I'm just robbing this guy but asking you to call the police in the meantime.... seriously, come on. "Let me see your badge!" Oh, right, I'll let go of this active resister to assure you I'm who I say I am.

Idiots.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Another video, this time a better use of force and handcuffing technique.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b2aqDzK0Dsg
    The comments make it, as usual.

"Mace ftw!" (For the Win)

Cause, yeah. Someone had the right idea... You spray the LP guy, and he is armed with OC as well... He's gonna hunt you down and put a hurting on you since you're now an active resistor felon.

Leave a comment:

• LPCap
    replied
    Another video, this time a better use of force and handcuffing technique.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=b2aqDzK0Dsg

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    replied
    Originally posted by LPGuy
    Registers placed near exits and near fitting rooms are a great deterrent.

I also support having associates count customers into the fitting room and keep track of the number of items brought in, especially in lingerie and junior's departments. We would train our associates to do this. However, being an upscale department store, the management would not allow numbered door hangars or anything along those lines as they felt it discomforted the customer, made us appear untrusting, and looked tacky.

I'll watch the video once I get home...
    I was in a store on Rodeo Drive (obviously upscale) once that didn't think it was "tacky" to have numbered hangers. You could look at it like they're saying "Hey - this merchandise is really valuable, and worth protecting". In fact, the customer might get the idea that if it's worth protecting it's also worth buying...must be quality stuff.

Everyone these days knows how rampant shoplifting is - even (or, especially) in high-end stores and I doubt the average customer would think a thing about most control methods that are commonly used today, with the exception of cameras in certain places of course!

Leave a comment:

• LPGuy
    replied
    Registers placed near exits and near fitting rooms are a great deterrent.

I also support having associates count customers into the fitting room and keep track of the number of items brought in, especially in lingerie and junior's departments. We would train our associates to do this. However, being an upscale department store, the management would not allow numbered door hangars or anything along those lines as they felt it discomforted the customer, made us appear untrusting, and looked tacky.

I'll watch the video once I get home...

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Fitting room attendants are only as good as the program behind it. Panther, how did management respond to paying a person to monitor the fitting rooms?

I wish mall security looked a little more professional. If you go into Target, the door guard has a nice dark blue uniform, decent duty belt with cuffs and a radio. They have a Target issued badge and patches. Mall Security on the other hand, wear white shirts (usually) which get very dirty, sewn on badges and those big hats. Most do not wear anything but a radio.

I think that security officers can only be as good as how they present themselves. A sharp, well dressed officer, with equipped duty belt will deter more people than most ill dressed mall guards.

I also think that the TPS should be allowed to freely roam the store and pop up when needed, vs stay at the doors all day long.

Here is a video of LP (or mall security??)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9T-vuk5rw_Y

Comments...
    I'll address the video after the mall thing.

Ninety-Nine percent of the time, the mall security force is contract, and the contract company tries to go out of their way to prevent the impression that the guard is a law enforcement officer, or more importantly, is there to do anything but observe and report.

Companies shy away from arming guards with cuffs and intermediate weapons because of the added liability and loss in profits. The radio is usually client provided, which is why they have that. If you arm someone, you have to train them, which means that you have to spend money on instructors, having classes, etc...

Some operations, usually very much catered to malls only, fill the niche where the general guard service lacks: Providing security that bothers to do stuff.

As to the video, those two needed a course in defensive and arrest tactics, bad.

Leave a comment:

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X