Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

is anyone a special/auxiliary police officer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is anyone a special/auxiliary police officer?

i was wondering i anyone here is one and what you can do and not do(limitations) in your area?

I'm not a reserve officer. The company I worked for would occasionally hire police officers or reserve officers for LP work, but the company made it very clear that the officers could not use their police authority while working as a private plainclothes loss prevention officer. In other words, "reasonable suspicion" and "probable cause" were out the window.

Of course, the officer could legally use his police authority if he really wanted--but he might lose his LP job.

There are a lot of companies that have different policies, though. The Dillards department store, for example, is known to only hire off-duty police officers as their LP officers.

Comment

Originally posted by nyspo
      i was wondering i anyone here is one and what you can do and not do(limitations) in your area?
      nyspo:
      Your duties should be carefully spelled out by the department for whom you are employed. The dos and don'ts should be cut and dried; if not, somebody in leadership is asleep at the helm.
      Enjoy the day,
      Bill

Comment

I was an Auxiliary Deputy Sheriff before I moved.

We recieved and were required to qualify 2 times a year with a sidearm and shotgun, though we were unarmed.

We were armed with a Taser, ASP or PR-24, handcuffs, portable radio, OC Spray.

We were allowed to be on patrol or work in corrections.

No arrest powers but could detain pursuant to an arrest.

We worked special details, had our own honor guard, helped at stand-offs, fire calls, etc etc

Before we hit the streets, we needed to go through 4 months of training/classes put on by the Sheriffs Office.
        "I am not a hero. I am a silent guardian, a watchful protector"

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X