Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wal-Mart Parking Lots: Duty to do more than Observe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, and then the mall goes and signs a contract with a company at a decent rate that allows them to hire professional guards that are equipped and trained to do the job.

A year later, the contract comes up for renewal. The property manager sees that nothing serious has happened in the past year (either because of the security or because it was an isolated incident) and starts to wonder if they can maybe save a little on security by hiring a WBC.

Originally posted by Mr. Security
    You have to prove that their return on investment (the investment being more funds for wages, equipment, etc.) is worth the expenditure. One way is to find a mall that neglected security, experienced an adverse event as a result, and then had to spend considerable funds to repair their image in the public's mind. If you can show an anchor store pulling out or closing because shoppers went elsewhere, then you should be able to get their attention.

A pending or successful lawsuit due to negligence or failure to exercise due diligence in the security department is another way to grab their attention. Whatever you do or say, money will always talk louder to a capital driven board of directors. Show them "how much bang they're getting for their buck."

Comment

That's always the problem. "Things are going so fine, we don't need security," or "we don't need this level of security." A way to deal with this is communicating with the client on a regular basis with stastical "what-if" information data mined from reports.

This Month at a Glance
      150 Calls for Service
      17 Trespass Warnings Issued
      1 Arrest (Security)
      14 Arrests (Tenant Stores)
      3 Arrests (Police Self-Initiated)

Rule Violations (Safety): 27
      Rule Violations (Traffic): 73
      Rule Violations (Gang): 35
      Gang Contact Events: 14
      Criminal Contact Events: 20

etc...
      Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

You justify your existence with the number of incidents you handle. The bad thing is that crimes deterred by your uniformed officer’s presence can’t be measured.

Comment

Chalk it up to human nature. Humans have a dismal record of repeating past mistakes. But hey, as one person put it: "People have a right to be stupid."
          As we have seen, they exercise that right freely.
          Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

This is where I am definately standing at, in which with the incident handling aspect I have definately improved upon. The corporation I work for is a sister corporation for another corporation that owns the mall.

As for a brief history, I was transfered from a sleepy town mall in another state to this state, to take over and operate a department that the director was severely messing up. I didnt think anyone could jack up a department and mall as badly as he did, hence I see why I was sent in.

This old director had the office in shambles, records everywhere but where they were supposed to be, the staff was retched beyond anyones imagination. The staff was so bad in that they would come in, clock in, go home until it was time to clock out. One of the previous officers went out and violated a restraining order out against him in another city, while on duty. The gangs ran the mall, it was a turf war between two gang entities. The vehicle break-ins were so deep that I couldnt count the months before. Not to mention the people he hire were complete morons. Some one used a crayola to do his daily report.

I ended up terminating a staff of 15, and kept only two officers, who were part time. Both of these officers are great employee's, but because one of them had not the greatest english, as he is russian, the old director kept him in the dark and away from the public. I remember the very first friday night I worked. Within 2 hours I was assaulted by four gang members for trying to enforce the loud use of obscenities regulation. This mall was horrible beyond belief. It gave me a bad perception about Colorado. The rules were never enforced, and the officers couldnt handle simple issues.

This has been a battle since November when I took this mall over. Since then, it has been nice to say that we havent had a single vehicle theft, no autos stolen (which was an average of 9 a month), and I am now getting mall walkers on friday nights, which even though they are annoying, they are a sign that things are safe. At first, after gaining a much sharper staff, and getting certifications for myself and them, and tons of training, it was not unusual to process (bring into a controlled security area for barrments) an average on a friday night and saturday night, of about 90-130 people between 5pm and 12am. We were packing violators and criminals into our factility like sardines.

Now things have changed severely. Word got out onto the street according to our local police department, that our mall was not a place to come and screw around at. Our department recieved an image of being very strict and on top of things. Today, to speak of, we end up only getting the occassional drug addict that makes a mistake by visiting and desiring our attention.

One of the latest sign, to which I am so excited about, is that a yearly carnival visits and sets up in our parking lot. The last eight years that the old director was running the mall, he would contract outside to the carnival, to gain extra profits for himself by "renting out" his staff to them. The reported crimes were horrible. An average of 15 gang related fights a day, 3-5 stabbings, a couple shootings, numerous thefts and shopliftings, and even a few rapes. I just finished up this carnival event for this year, and was so pleased, I dont think I can sleep! LOL! We had absolutely no fights, no weaponed involved violent crimes, no sexual assaults or rapes, and only a couple shopliftings (something you cant just avoid, but all subjects were apprehended). To add to it, I refused to contract to the carnival. The carnival this year had no security of their own. I remember the manager speaking to me, and being a little weirded out by not having his own security available, but understood after he closed up for the last night that there was a serious change.

At first, i wondered that with strict enforcement, if the malls profits would drop, but surprisingly they did not. Traffic count dropped but sales maintained. The Officer I kept on (the russain) is now my assistant director, as he replaced the assistant director I trained up, which was taken from me and sent to run another mall in another state. He tallied up the barrments we had done since I took over, and the number was scary. Fortunately they were all justified, and the security officer arrests were quite frightening as I was so pleased with them. What has been really nice, and I have been very concerned about is "Officer accidents" in injuries related to criminal activity, which is none. As a matter of fact, I have had no injuries at all. This was a good example of why training is so important!

Now, my mall manager approves highly of what we have done, as we are given free run to operate however we see fit, since the manager was hoping to see a change, adn it happened. I am hoping that all this will play into better pay for my people. They deserve it after all I have expected of them, and all they have done! I of course didnt mean to fill up my thread on all of this, but I just came off duty, and received the results, and being so close to this meeting, am hoping for the best!
            Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Sounds like you did a nice job bringing order to the mall. Will your company leave you there for a while, or will they move you to another troubled mall?
              Sometimes being the "fix it guy" has its disadvantages.

Comment

Ohh god, I hope not! LOL! Not that I dont enjoy a challenge, but sometimes you get a challenge that just about takes it all out of a person! I did alot of moving around in the military, and now with this company, I think I kinda like it where I am at. Perhaps when things get too slow for my tastes I may reconsider. LOL!
                Deputy Sheriff

Comment

Originally posted by Mall Director
                  Ohh god, I hope not! LOL! Not that I dont enjoy a challenge, but sometimes you get a challenge that just about takes it all out of a person! I did alot of moving around in the military, and now with this company, I think I kinda like it where I am at. Perhaps when things get too slow for my tastes I may reconsider. LOL!
                  Ain't it a pain when you get a reputation for being able to handle the tough assignments? LOL....you love the challenge tosome degree, but it's nice to have location stability too.

If I ever gave up my in-house gig to start in a position where I'd be travelling to different spots as a "fix-it" guy they would find I don't come cheap (which would probably sink me for employment ).
                  "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

Comment

I have been employed with a large security firm for over 2 years now and worked a Wal-Mart parking lot security before. I just drove around the lot with that blinking light and assisted motorists and lot complaints and occasionaly, I assisted LPs if they were getting roughed up. I enjoyed it until I saw how we were just there to make WM look good...

I take my job very seriously as I am hoping to go into law enforcement and WM didn't take us seriously. So I transfered else where. But I was the supervisor for outer security at walmart and Id try to get certain safety tasks done but WM did not care
                    Shawn J. Gossman
                    Security Officer
                    5+ Years Experience

Comment

Originally posted by officergossman
                      I have been employed with a large security firm for over 2 years now and worked a Wal-Mart parking lot security before. I just drove around the lot with that blinking light and assisted motorists and lot complaints and occasionaly, I assisted LPs if they were getting roughed up. I enjoyed it until I saw how we were just there to make WM look good...

I take my job very seriously as I am hoping to go into law enforcement and WM didn't take us seriously. So I transfered else where. But I was the supervisor for outer security at walmart and Id try to get certain safety tasks done but WM did not care
                      Wal*Mart doesn't impress me with their security, LP aside. As I've already noted, Greeters are being pressed into service as substitute LPO's when the theft tower activates. I've only observed security at one Target store and the officer was equipped for "business" if needed, including cuffs and OC. If that is the case at other Target stores, then I'd rather work for them than Wal*Mart.

Comment

Our Target uniform carries no weapons (He can, though, no law against it except firearm), and is very much "observe and report."

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

NA, you kinda got it right. He is not really there to observe and report, but to deter criminal activity, operate cameras and assist the APS in apprehensions. The TPS (uniformed guard) carries a radio, cuffs and OC as applicable. He checks the alarm towers and responds to all emergencies in the store.

Target is going away from the TPS and heading to all undercover APS.

The reason I know this is because I worked as an APS for Target a while back as a pt job. And yes, Target has a much better Loss Prevention than WalMart.

Comment

What is an "alarm tower"???
                            The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed.

Comment

When I use that term, I'm referring to the side-by-side detectors that you walk through when exiting the store. Unless the item(s) has been processed properly at the register, an audible and sometimes visual alarm sounds to warn that shoplifting may have occurred. Lots of false alarms though.

Comment

Sensomatic (or other) EAS "alarm towers." They detect live EAS tags. Wal-Mart's version does the "We're sorry. Either our associate is an idiot or you're a thief. Come back, please, so we can sort this out. GET BACK HERE!"

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X