Why won't IPC hire me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why won't IPC hire me?

Hey guys im new to this website, so a big hello to everyone here. I applied for a mall security position two times a year ago. When i applied i was on probation for a MIP, which is a misdeameanor here in michigan. I also heard they changed the age limit to 21 a short time ago. I will be 21 in Feb, and will have my associates degree in security transfer and will be attending U of M Dearborn for by B.A. next spring. I dont know if anyone works for IPC, they provide mall security and i want to be one of them. i guess my question would be if they will hire me at all, i get off probation Dec 20th and have decided that i will reapply when i get my Associates in May. I applied two times and both times i told them on the app that i had a MIP, i wouldnt lie because i know thats the worst thing someone can do. I would like to know what you guys think, will i get a job in May or not? All my other stuff is perfect, like driving record, financial records, had the same job inside the mall for 5 years now. DO you guys think i will get in when i have my degree? I really hope so cause i hate my job and security would pay more! Your thoughts......

What, exactly, is MIP? I can think of several charges that this acronym would be. Some of them are not savory, indeed.

IPC maintains high standards for their "public safety officers," as most of them are actually off-duty police officers who keep their police credentials on them so that they can switch to police authority as the situation dictates.

In the past, I applied for IPC in Illinois, and was accepted, but I didn't take the job as we were moving to Kenosha within a week, and Schaumburg is a long ass drive from Kenosha.

If your charge was a conviction for a security industry related incident, you will most likely not be hired for quite awhile, and then, on a case by case basis. Verify that your probationary status, and your criminal conviction (if applicable) does not disqualify you for a MI Security Person's Permit.
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Minor in possesion of Alcohol

MIP in michigan stands for MInor in possesion of alcohol. I do know that at least one of the security guards there is also a police officer. But many that are working there are not in LE. Some of them have been in the military, but there are many young guys like me that work there and that are not in college. I guess there more qualified for the job cause they didn't get caught. I think it's weird that some positions in security require you to have a a perfect background, yet actual law enforcement agencies do except people with minor misdeamenor arrest records. But it's a private agency so i guess they have that right though?

Comment

Originally posted by derek
        MIP in michigan stands for MInor in possesion of alcohol. I do know that at least one of the security guards there is also a police officer. But many that are working there are not in LE. Some of them have been in the military, but there are many young guys like me that work there and that are not in college. I guess there more qualified for the job cause they didn't get caught. I think it's weird that some positions in security require you to have a a perfect background, yet actual law enforcement agencies do except people with minor misdeamenor arrest records. But it's a private agency so i guess they have that right though?
        Depends on your state laws. Wisconsin prohibits discrimination against felons, unless the industry can show a greater need to preserve the safety of the public by denying a felon to practice. This is why police have disqualifiers, and states deny licenses.

Have you called IPC and asked them? Do you have your MI state security license? It could of been any number of factors from "bad attitude," to "applicant does not have permit." All of these factors are subjective, usually.

So long as the applicant is not discriminated against their protected status, we can basically pick and choose who to hire.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Derek, N.A. Corbier provided you with many sound reasons. This industry cannot just hire anyone. In many instances, where there is a pattern of risky or unsound behavior, given the liability issues, the industry would be foolish to hire.
          If you keep your "nose clean" and have solid character references you might fit in. Always keep in the back of your mind, the totality of the person.
          Another thing to keep clear headed about is why I want to be in security in the first place, the answer to which is in your own mind and heart. If you wish to preen and strut, this is not the career path for you. Whether or not you believe it, security and police work are closely related to social work. I remember the advice received when I graduated from both Air Police and Sheriff's Academies, "You must always remember you are armed social workers."
          Think of it as: "What can I do to make this industry better and myself a better person."
          Enjoy the day,
          Bill

Comment

I guess i see what you mean, but how can one incident be a "pattern"? I thought a pattern was at least two or more.

Comment

Derek, if there is only one MIP and there is nothing else in your background, you should not have much to worry about. However, if after speaking with those you have listed as character references and those references independently developed, the perspective employer may determine there is a pattern that demonstrates behaviors that they are willing to expose themselves to.
              When you go on an interview, dress professionally, conservative suit and tie, dress slacks, tie, and jacket. Answer questions thoughtfully, respectfully and remember to append your answers with "yes sir or nor sir, yes maam or no maam."
              Don't let your mind drift from the subject matter or it will be deduced as lack of attentiveness.
              If you think they will want to see a sample of your writing skills, grab the latest edition of Kate Turabian's "A Manual for Writers" to brush up on this skill.
              It is not trite, you never have a chance to make a good first impression!
              Good luck Derek and enjoy the day,
              Bill

Comment

Thanks Bill

Thanks for you info man! I guess im just gonna have to wait until i get my 2yr, then see what happens. What do you mean when you say"independant" references? Does that mean they will contact my listed references and ask about other people who know me? I know my current boss will put in a good word for me. And several other people i have worked with also know me pretty well and all will say good stuff about me. But i got until May until i get my degree so i got a while, i hate waiting. Thanks again Bill.
                Derek

Comment

You are welcome Derek.
                  The investigators will ask your references and will ask neighbors in the neighborhood.
                  In this business, you go from the known to the unknown and develope a mosaic, smooth contours or rough edges. That for the most part determines your fitness.
                  Again, best of luck, Merry Christmas and a Happy New year,
                  Enjoy the day,
                  Bill

Comment

and for the record when I left michigan last year they still were not licensing SOs

Comment

Originally posted by derek
                      Hey guys im new to this website, so a big hello to everyone here. I applied for a mall security position two times a year ago. When i applied i was on probation for a MIP, which is a misdeameanor here in michigan. I also heard they changed the age limit to 21 a short time ago. I will be 21 in Feb, and will have my associates degree in security transfer and will be attending U of M Dearborn for by B.A. next spring. I dont know if anyone works for IPC, they provide mall security and i want to be one of them. i guess my question would be if they will hire me at all, i get off probation Dec 20th and have decided that i will reapply when i get my Associates in May. I applied two times and both times i told them on the app that i had a MIP, i wouldnt lie because i know thats the worst thing someone can do. I would like to know what you guys think, will i get a job in May or not? All my other stuff is perfect, like driving record, financial records, had the same job inside the mall for 5 years now. DO you guys think i will get in when i have my degree? I really hope so cause i hate my job and security would pay more! Your thoughts......
                      The degree will help. It demonstrates a desire to improve yourself and indicates that you finish what you start. Also, if you continue to apply with that company you show through persistence that you really want the job.

The misdemeanor conviction may not be the primary reason you have not been hired. Likely, the probation was your undoing. All (or should I say most ) companies will want to see a track record that shows you are a law-abiding individual. I believe you will eventually succeed in 'landing' a security position. After all, there are LEO's who are working with more serious convictions than you have.
                      Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Forget if I mentioned it, but most companies don't want people on active parole / probation. You could violate it, and then your another body they have to replace on short notice, because your in the county jail - not on the site.

Comment

What's IPC?

Comment

www.ipcinternational.com

IPC International Company, IPC Public Safety.

They're basically a security company that does nothing but malls, shopping centers, etc. They rarely use the term "security," and use IPC Public Safety.

They're big around Illinois. Their "uniform partner," Uniformity, is an amusing vendor to work with.

They're the guys who will sell me illegal MSI OC (OC amount violates WI Law), but won't sell me Sabre OC within a legal limit, stating that "Sabre is illegal in Wiscosnin." Another case of the company reading the law wrong. They outfit the local police, as well.
                            Last edited by N. A. Corbier; 12-28-2005, 08:04 PM.

Comment

update on my situation

Well i got off probation dec 20th and my record was expunged, so now it's clear. Well not clear, as i know they can still see it when they do the criminal, but it's not active anymore. I turn 21 on Feb 5th. My last semester at this college starts tommorow, and will be recieving my associates in May. After that i will be attending U of M in the spring! My confidence is slowly growing that i will eventually get the IPC job. Thanks for the advice guys i will keep you updated. Good day to all.
                              Derek

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X