IP Surveillance- Need Your Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IP Surveillance- Need Your Help!

Hello all! I'm new to this forum. I just started an exclusively based IP surveillance company and we're launching a marketing campaign in January of 2006. Our goal is to help small business owners (Bar/restaraunts/Day care centers) fight employee theft, monitor entrances & exits, protect children, & make money too. (That's important) I'm always open to anyone's professional advice as to how we can be successfull. I'm an IP network engineer by trade and I have some background in surveillance monitoring.

Any thoughts?!?!

Are you referring to Video/Audio Surveillance over IP, or are you referring to packet inspection/logging? Ie: Cameras and a monitoring PC, or a hardware packet intercept and sniffer, ala ethereal?
    Some Kind of Commando Leader

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

I am referring to Video surveillance over IP. 2 to 4 camera systems with a PC and recording/monitoring software. Our intention is to make surveillance & security affordable for the smallest business owners. Although my partners and I are experienced in the security, network design, surveillance, & service fields, we don't have any hands on in IP systems. I know bandwidth, security, & affordability are always a concern. I'm always open to advice & opinions in general.

Thanks

Originally posted by N. A. Corbier
      Are you referring to Video/Audio Surveillance over IP, or are you referring to packet inspection/logging? Ie: Cameras and a monitoring PC, or a hardware packet intercept and sniffer, ala ethereal?

Comment

Originally posted by EagleEyes
        I am referring to Video surveillance over IP. 2 to 4 camera systems with a PC and recording/monitoring software. Our intention is to make surveillance & security affordable for the smallest business owners. Although my partners and I are experienced in the security, network design, surveillance, & service fields, we don't have any hands on in IP systems. I know bandwidth, security, & affordability are always a concern. I'm always open to advice & opinions in general.

Thanks
        Ok. A good publication is Security Dealer, which talks about IP video and security integration. Luckly, its from Cygnus Media (This site), and you can sign up for it on the main page.

Read the "Myths of IP Survelience," articles, they're rather informative.

As far as bandwidth, and other things, it depends on what your doing (Internet-transmission vs. LAN, number of cameras, etc.), and a few other factors. I haven't given IP based video technology much thought, except in trying to figure out how to design my own in-vehicle camera system that would be admissible in court, from open-source technologies.

If I am more coherent, I'll write more. Others will, most likely.

"Every time I see another crazy Florida post, I'm glad I don't work there." ~ Minneapolis Security on Florida Security Law

Comment

Are you requesting info on manufacturers? Are you looking for system designs?

I am not quite sure what you are asking for-PM me if you want.

N.A.-Have you looked at Dedicated Micros' Transview DVR? It is a four channel unit built specifically for LEO vehicles. It also comes with the ability to connect via wireless network, cell and even has a GPS capability. PM me as well if you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Crinsol
            Are you requesting info on manufacturers? Are you looking for system designs?

I am not quite sure what you are asking for-PM me if you want.

N.A.-Have you looked at Dedicated Micros' Transview DVR? It is a four channel unit built specifically for LEO vehicles. It also comes with the ability to connect via wireless network, cell and even has a GPS capability. PM me as well if you like.
            I have not, however, that sounds interesting. Right now, (sigh), its a paper design, but thanks. This sounds like something I need.

Comment

Ip Cam

Originally posted by EagleEyes
              Hello all! I'm new to this forum. I just started an exclusively based IP surveillance company and we're launching a marketing campaign in January of 2006. Our goal is to help small business owners (Bar/restaraunts/Day care centers) fight employee theft, monitor entrances & exits, protect children, & make money too. (That's important) I'm always open to anyone's professional advice as to how we can be successfull. I'm an IP network engineer by trade and I have some background in surveillance monitoring.

Any thoughts?!?!
              Hi, there. I don't think IP solution is suitable for the business targets you have in mind. with IP cam, you are actually counting on the internet 100%. what if there's a disconnection of internet, no image was recorded. unless you can find the IP cam which has build-in storage device.

Comment

IP cams can function on LAN systems, without internet. All that is required is:

1. Ethernet 10-Base-T/100-Base-T Hub
                2. Computer with IP Camera Software and LARGE Hard Drive
                or
                2a. Computer with IP Camera Software
                2b. Storage Area Network device hooked up to LAN
                3. One or more IP cameras.

In this way, the IP camera software, which comes with higher end units such as Panasonic, etc, will poll the camera's outputs. They work as regular streaming network devices. The IP camera software will dump the images to the hard drive as directed.

There are, also, open source solutions to IP camera software systems, using Video For Linux. After all, an IP camera is nothing more than a really sophisticated webcam.

Comment

I am lost without proper IP camera software! Help!!

I am in a similiar situation where my partner and myself are installing IP cameras for businesses wishing to use them both a management and surveillance tool. My sales team, website, techs, and servers are close to being ready but I am unsure as to if I should use existing software (which is expensive and does not have all the features I want and come with licensing fees per camera arrgh!) or get software programers to write the software for these IP cameras. I need some help and I have a couple of customers who are waiting for me to get going...lol am I in trouble!

Comment

From Nine Eleven Software:

I would check into an Axis Video Server. We don't sale these units, but I did install one at a police department. I thought it worked out fairly well. You can view streaming video by entering the IP address of the Axis Server in your web browser. It wasn't very expensive either, but this was two or three years ago. Here is a link to their web site: http://www.axis.com Good luck!
                    Nine Eleven Software: http://www.nineelevensoftware.com
                    Affordable Law Enforcement Software: Mobile Police RMS with Electronic Report Writing, Case Management and Document Imaging, Booking System, Property and Evidence, Grant Management, HR and More.

Comment

Axis is nice, but SECURE YOUR DAMN SERVER. There is a known google hack which spits out Google's cache of all known Axis, Sony, Toshiba, Samsung, etc IP cameras blindly installed on the internet.

Comment

IP camera Software

Thank you for your reply. I am currently having my software made for me and I hope that it all goes well withou too many glitches. I am not going to pay the software licenses which is an on going money pincher plus im going to have some features that Axis is to come up with. Till next time.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X