Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lzrman
    replied
    The one thing i've noticed is they try to beat the system, but 9 times out of 10 theres someone there watching them and will always catch it.

Do you recommend 1 person per 2 self checkouts on a busy saturday?

We have 4 self checkouts and thats what I was thinking should be done, we do not have a podium to monitor all the self registers and its just stand there and watch which will catch errors.

Theres many times the weight is incorrect for an item scanned and we have to intercede most the time.

Just recently had a guy think he could fool me, he scanned a CD and placed it in the bag with some other item. When the sensor for the weight went off i told him he had to re scan the item, when he went to grab the item he sliped another item at the same time. People, think they can fool the system.

Leave a comment:

• N. A. Corbier
    replied
    Yep. Cost of soft loss vs. cost of employee.

Much like the cost of inaction (being sued) vs. cost of action (paying a bunch of money to remedy it, acknoledging that it exists, and still possibly being sued.)

Leave a comment:

• Andy Taylor
    replied
    Look at it this way. Employee costs go down, shrinkage goes up. As long as shinkage does not go up more than emloyee costs go down the store is ahead.
    Not how I would see things, but that is how a lot of bussinesses would look at it.

Leave a comment:

• Eric
    replied
    Fences keep honest people out, these unsupervised self check outs are asking for loss, as any one unmonitored barrier does. Sure, employee costs are large percentage, so if you can have cashier supervising 2 or more of these self serve kiosks, it should help the bottom line right? Well, only if staff are attentive, all items have proper bar coding or prox devices, and there are no organized "clients" working together to beat the system.

I have seen / used them in a large grocery chain and a large home improvement chain. I felt that there is alot of room for error, but is the way of the future.

The banks and gas stations years ago went to machines that use cards, credit and debit, using less staff and raising profit, but the risk of loss would be smaller than allowing people to scan thier own groceries and 2X4's.

The challenges will continue for security everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• ozsecuritychic
    replied
    just curious as to how these registers work. Are people going to be able to take a cheap item out of the box and fill it up with more expensive things?

Leave a comment:

• lzrman
    started a topic Self-Serve Checkouts

Self-Serve Checkouts

What is your stance on this in regards to anything Loss Prevention/Security Wise?

We will be getting approximately 4 of these registers and I would like to know what your thoughts are on this?

One big thing that a competitor store doesn't do is "Keep that Associate Manning the Area" (they like to wonder).

Who should have access to what functions of this self register?

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X