No announcement yet.

Self-Serve Checkouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well guys I am sorry to report I've had my first theft on the self checkout.

Customer scanned a Greeting Card (Christmas) and another Self Till had a weight error I had to verify, and by the time i helped the customer in front, the person with the greeting card was gone.

She had the tender process up for debit and i believe swiped it an it didn't go through so she didn't bother going to select another payment method and she was gone b4 i could figure out where she went. I was so on adrenaline after that.

Lost 7.99 +tax bleh i feel bad
    Last edited by lzrman; 11-06-2006, 01:01 AM.

Comment

My plan for wednesday is to keep the front two open and the back two closed. Until the need to open them comes up. Not gonna happen to me twice.

I'm planning on moving our security camera to monitor that till, currently it views the 3 not the 4th.

Comment

[QUOTE=lzrman]
        Customer scanned a Greeting Card (Christmas) and another Self Till had a weight error I had to verify, and by the time i helped the customer in front, the person with the greeting card was gone./QUOTE]

Don't feel bad, the only way to work out the problems is going to cost some money...

Do you see any "organized shoppers" causing a problem in one lane so another can get away with merchandise?
        Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.
        Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Security
          I don't care for it. It takes jobs away from people who may not have marketable job skills.
          I'm with you on this one Mr. Security. Although these "Self Serve" checkouts are the way of the future I dont like how these computers take jobs away from unskilled people. All that does here in Canada is put those unemployed on our welfare program which costs us tax dollars.

I'd rather be greeted with a smile and told to have a nice day when spending my money at a store.

Comment

Originally posted by security steve
            Giant has self checkouts. They have six or eight for one person. Everything is weight monitored. So if I scan a six pack of beer and put down a twelve pack, the alarm will go off. Same goes for scanning one donut instead of four. On the flip side, I can scan a twelve pack of of store brand soda, and place down coke.

That being said, Giant has an attendant station where the employee monitors all six to eight registers. They are usually on the ball when it comes to theft.

The bad arguement that the self checkouts take away jobs from cashiers is just that bad. There is no evidence to suggest that the number of regular cashiers have been reduced because of the self checkouts. If you go on a busy saturday, all the checklanes are open. In fact before the Giant installed the self checkouts, they had 28 cash registers. Now they have 34 including 8 self checkouts. So they cut, 2 regular checkouts and added 8 self ones for a total "loss" of one employee. This has helped speed up the checkout process which is the reason I shop there.
            How do you know that?
            Security: Freedom from fear; danger; safe; a feeling of well-being. (Webster's)

Comment

Originally posted by Eric

Don't feel bad, the only way to work out the problems is going to cost some money...

Do you see any "organized shoppers" causing a problem in one lane so another can get away with merchandise?
              I didn't think of it that way, the customers with the weight errors seem to not know how to use the system, or "pretend to" not know. I may have to keep an eye on this.

Originally posted by rentacop
              Although these "Self Serve" checkouts are the way of the future I dont like how these computers take jobs away from unskilled people. All that does here in Canada is put those unemployed on our welfare program which costs us tax dollars.

I'd rather be greeted with a smile and told to have a nice day when spending my money at a store.
              Last sunday my supervisor scheduled 3 cashiers +myself and the 4 self lanes. When the schedule was posted, the 3 cashiers were cut from the schedule leaving just the supervisor to run a front register. We called someone in because the person who cut the cashiers pretended that she didn't know what happened (bleh manager cuts and pretends nothings going on).

For the first 2 hours it was pure self checkouts, and this one customer approched me and said "I want a regular cashier" and i had to tell him there was none available, so I had to send him to customer service.

Personally I think self checkouts are the future, and will let business' re allocate man power.

But still, do u think leaving 2/4 tills open (self tills) in which those 2 are front ones until it becomes busy enough to open 4?

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
              Working...
              X