Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about different LP positions

Hi everybody,

I'm looking at two positions, one with Sears LP and the other is for an LP position at an upscale hotel.. Sears has better hours, hotel has better pay but is over night. Was just curious if anybody had any insight about either of these? Thanks for the help!

I know alot about Sears LP. I would never work for them. I recently actually wrote than in an expert report on a civil case.They are very restrictive on their shoplifter apprehension policies. You can approach, but if the thief runs or physically assaults you - you are not allowed to touch them. Handcuffs are to be kept in the office and you are only allowed to use them IN THE OFFICE when a suspect decided to fight. You are not allowed to carry them out of the office. Your apprehension is limited to the sidewalk. You are not allowed to follow into the parking lot.

I have a good friend who has worked in hotel security and he is very happy, but then he is Sr.VP. of Security for a very major world wide hotel chain. I think you would find yourself doing alot of non-security related duties in hotel security....but then I believe you would in LP also.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

In the interview he mentioned they were hands off. But the LPM also said if we were assaulted we could defend ourselves and from time to time he would authorize pursuits past the exits (this particular store is in a mall). Do they have a "quota"?

Which hotel does your friend work for? The one I'm being offered isn't exactly a chain but it is a major upscale player, I'll PM you the name incase you may know any specifics. Technically the title at the hotel is Loss Prevention but I'm guessing that is just for a softer title, or is there some LP work as well?

Thank you for your assistance Curtis it is very helpful

Comment

I can tell you the LPM has no authority to extend the limits of apprehension, This is a regional issue and it must be in writing for any store that is extended. Sears has no written quota requirements, but I have seen quota requirement and goals hand written and posted on an LP office wall. When I brought it up that store LPM was very embarrassed that I saw it. This was in another case I had.

No the hotel chain is not the one you PMd me about.
        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Thank you for the response Curtis. I didn't even ask about productivity when I had the interview with Sears, I assumed if it was hands off and a general no chase policy that apprehensions wouldn't make or break somebody so to speak. I believe your right about the non-security duties at either location, though I'm sure they find some way to tie it all together.

Comment

Originally posted by BLPA View Post
            Thank you for the response Curtis. I didn't even ask about productivity when I had the interview with Sears, I assumed if it was hands off and a general no chase policy that apprehensions wouldn't make or break somebody so to speak. I believe your right about the non-security duties at either location, though I'm sure they find some way to tie it all together.
            To be fair, the vast majority of your stops - if you are trained to do them properly - are hands off. Statistically, then, the fairly low percentage of actively non-compliant stops that you'd let go should have little impact on your total apprehensions.

I know this conversation has been had on this forum previously, so I'm not bringing it up necessarily as a discussion point, but loss prevention and security are generally the same thing. Duties might change, but protection of personnel, property, and assets are the same. My recommendation would be to decide whether you'd prefer to work in a hotel or a retail store and go from there.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X