X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• psycosteve
    replied
    Originally posted by Consolewatcher View Post
    Unless a particular store is facing repeated incidents, it's often cheaper for them to simply not to increase security measures beyond what's needed to combat "regular theft", and to simply take the loss. They'd rather just pay more for insurance, then have to pay for extra guards, liability and bad press in case they do something wrong (or something that "looks wrong"), etc.

I think the best way that stores can combat this is to have really high resolution cameras photographing people's faces as they come into the store, and if possible licence plate numbers. That way, if anything happens, it's pretty easy for police to identify the perpetrators. If they're worried about privacy issues, they can set it up so that the footage is deleted quickly; for example, they could have it that the footage is erased every hour unless flagged otherwise.
    Here is the 2 tun gorilla in the room that no one wants to talk about is that any countermeasures taken by these businesses is going to be deemed racist due to the race of the perpetrators. Most LP is geared to internal theft as its major focus. This new threat of flash mob theft up in till recently was always in smaller more independent stores where the staff and security resources were not available to them. This is going to be a real curious risk analysis as what is going to happen when one of these thieving mobs happens to harm a customer there. I get the feeling that what needs to happen is to upgrade the camera equipment to heavily prosecute these hoodlums and the trend will go away.

Leave a comment:

• Consolewatcher
    replied
    Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
    Luckily, he went back for his precious cell phone. Saved the cops the time it would take to go to his house.

On a serious note, I think we will see more of this in other settings. It would seem the criminal element has figured out the "shock and awe" tactic. Every store has only so many employees, guards, etc. Only so many police officers can respond at any given time.

On my site it is very obvious that car prowlers and thieves are no longer working solo or in pairs - groups are coming in, splitting up, and taking everything that isn't nailed down, and then quickly fading away. Our industry and our clients have got to react with force multipliers (whether more cameras, more alarms and/or more guards) and understand that it is going to cost more to do loss prevention.
    Unless a particular store is facing repeated incidents, it's often cheaper for them to simply not to increase security measures beyond what's needed to combat "regular theft", and to simply take the loss. They'd rather just pay more for insurance, then have to pay for extra guards, liability and bad press in case they do something wrong (or something that "looks wrong"), etc.

I think the best way that stores can combat this is to have really high resolution cameras photographing people's faces as they come into the store, and if possible licence plate numbers. That way, if anything happens, it's pretty easy for police to identify the perpetrators. If they're worried about privacy issues, they can set it up so that the footage is deleted quickly; for example, they could have it that the footage is erased every hour unless flagged otherwise.

Leave a comment:

• Condo Guard
    replied
    Luckily, he went back for his precious cell phone. Saved the cops the time it would take to go to his house.

On a serious note, I think we will see more of this in other settings. It would seem the criminal element has figured out the "shock and awe" tactic. Every store has only so many employees, guards, etc. Only so many police officers can respond at any given time.

On my site it is very obvious that car prowlers and thieves are no longer working solo or in pairs - groups are coming in, splitting up, and taking everything that isn't nailed down, and then quickly fading away. Our industry and our clients have got to react with force multipliers (whether more cameras, more alarms and/or more guards) and understand that it is going to cost more to do loss prevention.

Leave a comment:

• SecTrainer
    started a topic Mob Trashes Macon WalMart

Mob Trashes Macon WalMart

Doesn't sound like this was a flash mob as such -more gang-based.

http://www.macon.com/2015/06/29/3821...nted.html?rh=1

Leaderboard

Collapse
Working...
X