Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Certain elements are either involved or absent during cases like these. You either missed a step, or there was a explanation that you just didnt catch. I see the use of LE as loss prevention not exactly a great thing, as we have different protocols to follow than PD. Store having a detail officer, not a problem. Store using an independent contractor of police officers for security related issues, thats when you statt seeing incidents like this.
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Dog View Post
      All I'm saying is that we get second guessed by the media, lawyers, police, public, that we shouldn't be jumping on each other's case but defending each from those on the outside.
      Even if the security officer is totaly wrong? And...we are talking about the article, not your coming to another posters defense. Don't try to confuse the issue here.
      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
      Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by zm88 View Post
        Certain elements are either involved or absent during cases like these. You either missed a step, or there was a explanation that you just didnt catch. I see the use of LE as loss prevention not exactly a great thing, as we have different protocols to follow than PD. Store having a detail officer, not a problem. Store using an independent contractor of police officers for security related issues, thats when you statt seeing incidents like this.
        I will add, the use of off-duty LE for retail security positions is just a bad idea. I've been on both sides of the coin. When in LE O worked both plain clothes and in uniform for a few different retailers and as a Director, hired both plain clothes and uniformed LE to perform retail security duties. It just does not work.
        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Curtis,

As I posted earlier, you are correct. LE will ALWAYS default to being LE. The issues that causes have been discussed. ODO's for LP and basic security work are a bad idea, especially if allowed to do it in their agency uniform. It sends too many wrong signals and taxpayers should be upset.

Comment

I worked at a mall that had a police retail theft unit (plain clothes state police). The entire mall anchors, mall security and the police were on the same channel. The cops would stop people all the time based off suspicion from a few retailers. In one year, they processed 3091 theft subjects (credit card, shoplifting etc) and broke up a few multi state rings.

When the state police worked directly for us, bad news. When they worked the RTU, they were ok.

Instead of hiring two off duty Leo PT hours for holiday, we hired ten FT hourly door guards at $10/hr.

Comment

i am against using off duty officers for any security capacity. their equipment, training, and uniforms were all provided by the city. yet they will work for a private entity. furthermore, who are they accountable to? They swore to protect, the citizens of the city, yet will only protect the interests f the private entity. there are also a lot of use of force issues like in this article. This could open up a whole lot of liability. there are no good reasons for having off duty officers. if a company requires a police presence, they should just be able to get SPOs. they are solely employed by the private company, so they will only be needed to protect the companys property and personnel. Private cops are a lot more ethical than public cops working for a private employer, yet the latter is legal in most states whilet the former is illegal. this is backwards thinking

Comment

[QUOTE=ContractSec Level III;14608. Private cops are a lot more ethical than public cops working for a private employer, yet the latter is legal in most states whilet the former is illegal.[/QUOTE]

Where do you get this stupidity from?

Comment

I would love to hear the thought process that brought you to the conclusion that someone who hhas minimal training and less stringent background checks can be more ethical than a police officer. Every job industry has scumbags that slip through. PD's at least have stricter hiring practices as well as requirements.
                  Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Originally posted by zm88 View Post
                    I would love to hear the thought process that brought you to the conclusion that someone who hhas minimal training and less stringent background checks can be more ethical than a police officer. Every job industry has scumbags that slip through. PD's at least have stricter hiring practices as well as requirements.
                    it has nothing to do with scumbags. im talking about actual provate cops like railroads or universities. or SPOs like in many states. it has nothing to do with the ethica of the individual officer, it has to do with the ethics of a punlicly employed officer who had sworn to protect the public only working at the interest of a private employer.

Comment

You still haven't answered the question: where do you get your incorrect information?

Comment

Originally posted by Soper View Post
                        You still haven't answered the question: where do you get your incorrect information?
                        i posted no information at all just opinions

Comment

So you base your opinions on things you make up?

Perhaps you should not post them then.

Comment

So you base your opinions on things you make up?

Perhaps you should not post them then.
                            Whether something is ethical or not is an opinion.

Comment

Nice try. You're not going to get to back out on this. It's just ANOTHER of many examples of you posting with ZERO veracity. You post everything as factual, get caught out, then change it to "I heard, it's an opinion..." Yadda yadda yadda.

As I've said many times, just do some research before making a claim. Right now, you have no credibility. You probably never will, and that goes to your job also.

Comment

Nice try. You're not going to get to back out on this. It's just ANOTHER of many examples of you posting with ZERO veracity. You post everything as factual, get caught out, then change it to "I heard, it's an opinion..." Yadda yadda yadda.

As I've said many times, just do some research before making a claim. Right now, you have no credibility. You probably never will, and that goes to your job also.
                                Guys, this isn't going anywhere or contributing anything to the discussion at hand.
                                "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X