X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple Declares Retail Store Theft Is ‘Not A Priority’

info Apple Stores
    March 5, 2014

The world’s most valuable company isn’t worried that employees might be stealing Apple gear from their retail stores, and a security bag check that is the subject of a employee lawsuit is used inconsistently “at best.” What’s more, the company hasn’t audited the bag check program to determine if it’s effective at reducing employee theft, and considers loss prevention to be a low priority endeavor.

That picture was painted by an employee designated by Apple to provide expert testimony in depositions taken earlier this year. The testimony also provided previously-secret insights into the operation of the stores, including the percentage of part-time U.S. employees and the chain’s employee turn-over rate. The new information comes from Carol Monkowski, Sr. Director of Store Operations, who appeared as Apple’s designated witness for the topics covered by the lawsuit.

Read on....

This a long article, but the admissions Carol Monkowski, Sr. Director of Store Operations makes about the lack of emphasis on loss prevention operations is startling to say the least.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Link? Maybe because I'm on my cell...

Prior to reading the neglect and lack of concern pertaining to internal theft is shocking. I've heard employers neglecting external but usually with a focus on internal as well as paperwork/distribution center error/theft. Look forward to reading this.
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

I checked the link and it was working.

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Apple Declares Retail Store Theft Is ‘Not A Priority’

Interesting. Thank you for posting that. Everybody at my job goes through a metal detector (or is wanded) and their property goes through an x-ray, even us. On the other hand, we don't check anything when they leave. I have heard of other places that are just the opposite. Everyone gets checked when they leave. I imagine there are also places that check everyone coming in AND going out.

Comment

Employee bag checks are one of the most misused LP tools a retailer has. They can be hard to enforce even if it is written into policy and procedure. Most often the policy isn't evenly enforced and goes by the wayside. If you are going to use bag checks...check everybody.

Comment

My former company (department store) had a written policy that bag checks were random and conducted at employee entrance by on duty guard (randomly) and at non employee entrances randomly by the guards as well. Before I left, we caught a 20+ year associate stealing over $6000 worth of merchandise in one haul because she was so friendly and "worked there a long time" so everyone would wave her through.

Current company, 100% bag checks by a manager on camera view whenever exiting the building. Coat checks are conducted during the winter. This process is audited by corporate AP via network video review and issues reported back to the field.

Comment

Wow....seems like someone who is incredibly out of touch with the concepts of LP. I would love to see what their shortage figures look like.
              Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

I have taken several reports at the local Apple Store in the same week. A guy came in and cut a wire locking the laptop to the table near the entrance and walked right out. He was able to get 3 laptops in that run. The news put the full length video on a segment and how the guy did it. There were copycats. I advised the store to not to submit another press release.... The original suspect also came back for seconds the following week. I told them to put the suspects picture in the break room.

Best part was managament wasn't even aware on how to view surveliance.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                Working...
                X