Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

False Confessions, ever get one as a result of an interview?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• False Confessions, ever get one as a result of an interview?

I've had a few false confessions over the years. Most were recognized during the interview.

When Employees Confess, Sometimes Falsely

By SAUL ELBEINMARCH 8, 2014 New York Times

When an AutoZone investigator approached Chris Polston, asking for his help investigating a theft, Mr. Polston was happy to oblige. He was 20, had worked for AutoZone all through high school in Maryland, and, after graduation, moved to take a job with the chain in Houston. He and his wife had a child on the way, and he thought that AutoZone, the car parts retailer, could be a place to build a career. That morning in 2010, it all came undone.

Read the story.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Interesting read, thanks for the article Curtis. From what I read it seems like the Investigators conducted the interviews without actually knowing what happened? Of the few I've sat in on, the theft was already known only the 'why' needed to be answered. This of course led to multiple other ins the ances of theft later admitted to in the interview. Seems like a slippery slope, at least thats what I got from the article.
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Not that you don't have to be careful in every interview, General Loss interviews have the greatest potential for false confessions. We would do them on very shrink stores and investigators would come out of the interviews with some very high dollar confessions. I required verified substantiation of dollar amounts and often would reduce them.
      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
      Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
      Working...
      X