X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Actor seeks class-action status for Macy's suit

The Associated Press
    NEW YORK —
    An actor on HBO's "Treme" (truh-MAY') is seeking class-action status for his profiling lawsuit against Macy's.

A lawyer for actor Robert Brown filed the papers Wednesday in federal court in New York City. The 29-year-old says he was stopped buying a $1,350 Movado watch and targeted because he's black.

The lawsuit says many others have been targeted at the store because of race. Brown first filed the lawsuit last month.

Read more....
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

The gentleman in question is very well spoken and seemed cool until he was interviewed with the so - called "others" who we're profiled by Macy's Security / LP Team, then he acted like a fool. They had this info on WPIX 11 for a couple weeks now and the more they talk the more it seems like they may have a case but will have to wait and see what happens next.

Curtis, What's your take?
    Pop Pop - It reminds me of an old statement by my Master Sergeant. "A Good Run is better then a Bad Stand".

Sec Trainer- Pop Pop: Hope you don't mind if I quote your Master Sergeant. He was a very smart man.

Pop Pop- Yes Sir, Thank you Senior Instructor Sec Trainer, hope you don't mind if I place your quote into my Signature?

Sec Trainer- Permission granted, recruit. Now, police the company area!

flat out cool..

Comment

In Mr. Brown's case he was stopped by a NYC police officer and there may be some protection regarding Macy's.

Profiling is not all bad, but racial profiling is. For instance, during my shoplifter apprehension days I always paid attention to the condition of a person's shoes. It was amazing how accurate I was.

When I still train/advise on the apprehension of shoplifters I recommend that a camera always be pointed at the front door so a quick observation of everyone entering can be made.

I do know that Macy's on 34th is a very tough store to work LP in.

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

On a Good Note, 33 years of being Married plus two years in sin tonight. We're all going out to dinner tomorrow Night.
        Pop Pop - It reminds me of an old statement by my Master Sergeant. "A Good Run is better then a Bad Stand".

Sec Trainer- Pop Pop: Hope you don't mind if I quote your Master Sergeant. He was a very smart man.

Pop Pop- Yes Sir, Thank you Senior Instructor Sec Trainer, hope you don't mind if I place your quote into my Signature?

Sec Trainer- Permission granted, recruit. Now, police the company area!

flat out cool..

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
          In Mr. Brown's case he was stopped by a NYC police officer and there may be some protection regarding Macy's.

Profiling is not all bad, but racial profiling is. For instance, during my shoplifter apprehension days I always paid attention to the condition of a person's shoes. It was amazing how accurate I was.

When I still train/advise on the apprehension of shoplifters I recommend that a camera always be pointed at the front door so a quick observation of everyone entering can be made.

I do know that Macy's on 34th is a very tough store to work LP in.
          Being as Im not from tue NY area, what makes the atore difficult to work in? Feel free to PM me if you don't wqnt to publicly say.
          Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

I once had a roofer tell me my roof was like a "cut up dog." The house had several major remodels since it was new. The Macy's store on 34th Ave is just like my roof. It has many floors and lots of areas are configured strange.

The store is always busy as it is across the street from the Empire State Building and the tour buses unload directly across the street. The tourists cross the street frogger style (like the video game) and make their way into the store from all directions. Plus the homeless people and panhandlers have a continuous presence.

Comment

Just realized this is the Herald sq store? Sounds like the same issues we deal with. Direct entrance exit to the subway system here, multiple shelters located within a 5 block radius. Definitely makes for a 'unique' work environment.
              Last edited by zm88; 11-16-2013, 09:34 AM.

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

That's the one. There is a detention holding cell in the LP office.

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
                  That's the one. There is a detention holding cell in the LP office.
                  I believe there are three holding cells. The infamous room 140 has been moved during the renovation. I worked at that store a few years ago and it was unbelievable the amount of shoplifters and recoveries that were made.

NYPD had a taskforce that roamed the store. Everything was floor observation and the CCTV was for general store monitoring.

It was a fun store. From what I remember we had almost 200 security on our roster.

Comment

I was harassed because of my race (White) in mostly Black East Palo Alto and profiled as a drug buyer once, when I was actually in the neighborhood trying to buy a crappy car.

Can I sue?

Comment

Originally posted by capurato View Post
                      I believe there are three holding cells. The infamous room 140 has been moved during the renovation. I worked at that store a few years ago and it was unbelievable the amount of shoplifters and recoveries that were made.

NYPD had a taskforce that roamed the store. Everything was floor observation and the CCTV was for general store monitoring.

It was a fun store. From what I remember we had almost 200 security on our roster.
                      We have 2 cells in our office. I cant find much iinfoabout that store but I would love to tour it one day.

Comment

No. No one goes to EPA to buy a car. That's a typical doper story.

Comment

Originally posted by Squid View Post
                          I was harassed because of my race (White) in mostly Black East Palo Alto and profiled as a drug buyer once, when I was actually in the neighborhood trying to buy a crappy car.

Can I sue?
                          No you can't. My advice? Find a safer neighborhood to buy your drugs in.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X