Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flash Mobs Hit Sports Authority Stores

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/11/...o-area-stores/

The National Retail Federation has published some guidelines for "multiple-offender crimes" here in the form of a PDF file (clicking the link below will give you the option to open or save the PDF file to your computer):

http://www.nrf.com/modules.php?name=...ive&sp_id=6788
    Last edited by SecTrainer; 11-07-2013, 09:35 AM.
    "Every betrayal begins with trust." - Brian Jacques

"I can't predict the future, but I know that it'll be very weird." - Anonymous

"There is nothing new under the sun." - Ecclesiastes 1:9

"History, with all its volumes vast, hath but one page." - Lord Byron

Even though the news media calls it a "Flash Mob" it is really a flash rob. This activity will increase with the rush of holiday shopping coming on.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
      Even though the news media calls it a "Flash Mob" it is really a flash rob. This activity will increase with the rush of holiday shopping coming on.
      I was about to post an addendum making that point, Curtis. These aren't spontaneous events (often triggered by social media, etc.) like flash mobs. They're gangs.

The NRF also has another guideline on crowd control that's relevant at this time of year too - especially before Black Friday. This is a "page-flip" ebook, so it can take awhile to load if you're on a slow internet connection:

http://www.nrf.com/effectivecrowdmanagement/2012/#/0

You can print it (fifth button from the left, at the bottom) and share it with your LP associates, use it to help establish protocols if they're lacking in this area, etc.
      Last edited by SecTrainer; 11-07-2013, 09:50 AM.

Comment

One bit of advice I didn't see, so I'll offer it for consideration (won't always be feasible).

These people require transportation and there will often be a vehicle waiting for them, but often the video assets are in-store, and especially smaller malls might not have exterior cameras (or if they do have them they might not be pointing the right direction, sufficient resolution to capture license plates, etc).

If it's possible to immediately dispatch an associate outside to the parking area or driveway closest to the store (the most likely waiting area for a getaway vehicle) it might be possible to obtain one of the most crucial items of information to track them down - the vehicle description/license plate.

Most often, this vehicle will be a van or an SUV because it must carry a number of people and the merchandise. If there's no suspect vehicle immediately outside the entrance, it may be idling in a nearby parking spot, or it could be standing off a bit with a clear path to the entrance, waiting for the suspects to emerge from the store.
        Last edited by SecTrainer; 11-07-2013, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SecTrainer View Post
          One bit of advice I didn't see, so I'll offer it for consideration (won't always be feasible).

These people require transportation and there will often be a vehicle waiting for them, but often the video assets are in-store, and especially smaller malls might not have exterior cameras (or if they do have them they might not be pointing the right direction, sufficient resolution to capture license plates, etc).

If it's possible to immediately dispatch an associate outside to the parking area or driveway closest to the store (the most likely waiting area for a getaway vehicle) it might be possible to obtain one of the most crucial items of information to track them down - the vehicle description/license plate.

Most often, this vehicle will be a van or an SUV because it must carry a number of people and the merchandise. If there's no suspect vehicle immediately outside the entrance, it may be idling in a nearby parking spot, or it could be standing off a bit with a clear path to the entrance, waiting for the suspects to emerge from the store.

Well Done!! Senior Instructor AMU. Lets not forget things moving like the "double back" ...

Because professionals or others are about quickness for the Exfil..
          Pop Pop - It reminds me of an old statement by my Master Sergeant. "A Good Run is better then a Bad Stand".

Sec Trainer- Pop Pop: Hope you don't mind if I quote your Master Sergeant. He was a very smart man.

Pop Pop- Yes Sir, Thank you Senior Instructor Sec Trainer, hope you don't mind if I place your quote into my Signature?

Sec Trainer- Permission granted, recruit. Now, police the company area!

flat out cool..

Comment

Radio reported last night that there is now a national warning to all retailers for the coming season. Apparently this is the activity of choice for gangs of teens. The gas station, the grocery store - doesn't matter, the pattern is the same. They either just grab everything they can and run out, or one or two create a diversion by trashing one end of the store while the others operate.

SecTrainer's recommendation makes a lot of sense - I can't see these jokers riding their bikes to the store. I'd look into the legal ramifications of pepper spray with dye in it for merchants. For big retailers, 2014 might be the year to buy those cameras that can capture a sharp image for facial recognition...
            Last edited by Condo Guard; 11-10-2013, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Condo Guard View Post
              Radio reported last night that there is now a national warning to all retailers for the coming season. Apparently this is the activity of choice for gangs of teens. The gas station, the grocery store - doesn't matter, the pattern is the same. They either just grab everything they can and run out, or one or two create a diversion by trashing one end of the store while the others operate.

SecTrainer's recommendation makes a lot of sense - I can't see these jokers riding their bikes to the store. I'd look into the legal ramifications of pepper spray with dye in it for merchants. For big retailers, 2014 might be the year to buy those cameras that can capture a sharp image for facial recognition...
              In Philadelphia they ride the trains to the center city area. They are pretty bold about it.

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

It's not new. I saw it happen about 5 years ago at the dèpanneur near my house just across the street from the entrance to the métro.
                (Sorry dépanneur = convience store, like a 7/11. Métro = subway)
                I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
                Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I have seen it a few times at convenience stores...but at a large retail shop it is usually a much bigger affair.

Comment

I did a radio program about this the other evening. A Chicago radio station contacted me for some comments they could use on the program.. The said someone else they talked to about the Sports Authority incidents reccomended they hire armed guards with shotguns to stand at the ready outside the stores. They asked me what I though about that....my reply was that I thought that was a really stupid idea. The comment had been made by a armed security guard company.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X