Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walmart meat tampered with

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/M...229405561.html

Walmart had to pull all the packaged meat in one of its stores after a man stabbed several packages with an empty syringe.

Freakin crazy
    Sergeant Phil Esterhaus: "Hey, let's be careful out there.."

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED ON THIS WEBSITE/BLOG ARE MINE ALONE AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

Jesus, it must of been a lot of work for those store employees.....Getting rid of it &
      then restocking it. Could've been a PR disaster for wal-mart.

Comment

Food and drug product tampering incidents tend to be very high profile and very costly.
        Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
        Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Root cause of this is that USA does a very poor job 'handling' the tiny % of crazy and 'problem' people that are gonna 'happen' regardless.

Rather than waste time 'fighting' and marginalizing committed drug addicts just let them have the stuff in a semi monitored program. Either that or kill them, but 'just killing them' solves the problem but soon becomes an even bigger problem (Nazi Germany, USSR).

I think the fluid and 'open' nature of American society plays a big part-not nearly as many situations where the Crazy Relative is gonna be monitored by competent teams of extended family, and kept mostly confined to the family farm.

Only about 10% a population will be 'drawn to drugs' for any amount of time, and most of those will be 'high functioning' and otherwise non-criminal, even with dealing with underworld to get their dope.

Reminds me a contractor I worked for who had a new hire try to claim phony back injury. Turned out he was 'addicted' to a certain pain pill that was mostly used in worker's comp (why diff pills for WC VS other docs?). Cost the boss real money and real lawyers to defend. I'm thinking "why can't they just let him have the pills?" since otherwise he was the best new hire out about 10.

Comment

I've investigated two cases of product tampering where syringes were used. One was where there was a claim of cyanide injected into turkeys with a syringe and another where rat poison was injected into a bottle of wine through the cork. Neither was done by drug crazed individuals. Both of these needle cases were retail extortion.

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

How did they plan on getting the money and 'keeping it'?

Was it cash or some 'buy from me or else'?

I can't see calling up a store and saying 'pay me or I'll poison your meat' working in America.

Comment

"I can't see calling up a store and saying 'pay me or I'll poison your meat' working in America."

That is exactly what happened.

Comment

Squid,

It's called EXTORTION.

You should try taking a class or two sometime.

Comment

Soper, I get most of my info watching TV, and I'm not talking about "the news".

I remember once on the Sopranos once Phil and Paulie Walnuts(nicknamed because he and some other Mafia once highjacked a truck they thought was a load of VCR, to find out it was a load of walnuts) go to shake down a newly opened Starbucks type shop to a donation to 'neighborhood protection association'. The kid assistant manager tells them no-can-do because corp 'counts every bean' AND it wont do any good to threaten the kid or anyone else because corp will just put someone else in.

Leaving the shop, Phil says to Paulie "The little guy is ****ed", which is kinda ironic because not only is the 'little guy' being run out of biz by power of big corp, they are also getting it from the other end because mob shakedowns work on little guys but 'don't compute' against a big corp.

I would think any supermarket chain and certainly Walmart would only have a manager calling the police at first hint of a shakedown, with no plans to pay unless the police ask them to as part of a sting.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X