New security threat: Cash register skimmers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New security threat: Cash register skimmers

The alert outlined what was seen on the the retailer's surveillance footage. The thieves, all men, worked in teams of three. Two men distracted the sales staff while a third took pictures of the register, then removed its rear access panel and took additional photos.

Several hours later, three different men entered the store. Again, two of them distracted the sales staff while the third removed the register's back panel and installed the skimmer. The police memo described the device:

It captures all track data from credit card transactions and stores it on the device, similar to a USB drive. The connector was made to match the connections on the back of the register to include color match. Therefore, no one would have detected it unless there was a problem with the register.

Full article here: http://www.cnbc.com/id/101115205

Roscoe

This has also happened to Lucky Stores, SaveMart and others.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Very disturbing. They've been doing this at gas pumps for a couple of years; the new recommendation is that if you use a card at the station, use a pump in the direct line of sight of the attendant.

I avoid certain stores because I'm worried about the staff using my card fradulantly - I assumed the registers were OK because somebody was always watching. Nordstroms is pretty high end - I'm sort of surprised. But high tech crooks are getting better and more brazen every day. Like one reporter joked, "Bank robbery, now, is so 20th century..."
      Last edited by Condo Guard; 10-17-2013, 01:37 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Said "before the(criminals) could retrieve the device"(and its stored data).

How long until they start using wireless transmitters? I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to rig a tiny transmitter that only transmits short range and only when it is 'woken up' by the right code from the download device carried in the crook's pocket as he does regular 'harvest' of data by returning to store and hanging out near device for 30 seconds.

And what about criminals infiltrating retail to aid in CCard data theft? Most retail is low and 'casual' employment which can include lots of young "on the down low" gang affiliated persons.

Yeah, I'm an "evil genius". OK, not sure about the 'genius' part.

Personally, I've always (for like 30yrs) felt most CCards should come with a monthly list of one time use "pin" codes only for that card, maybe in sequence, and if the CC read doesn't get the right 2 digit number next on your monthly list it "flags" it and the registrar stars screaming for employees to check your ID and for LP to hover in the area.

Seems like CC companies make so much on the 3% or whatever they would rather just take a few hits rather than risk losing biz by troubling their customers.

PS-what 'items' are most often brought with stolen CCard data?
        Last edited by Squid; 10-20-2013, 08:16 AM.

Comment

"How long until they start using wireless transmitters? I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to rig a tiny transmitter that only transmits short range and only when it is 'woken up' by the right code from the download device carried in the crook's pocket as he does regular 'harvest' of data by returning to store and hanging out near device for 30 seconds."

That's already being done.
          Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
          Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

They are going for high end clothing, watches and electronics. They then use the remaining balance to buy cards.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X