Workers, Cop Sacked After Alleged Awards Program Abuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workers, Cop Sacked After Alleged Awards Program Abuse

I once had a very similar experience with a grocery company I worked for. We terminated 31 employes (chain wide) after I installed an exception program that checked the employee use of points vs. purchases.

CBS - MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) –
    Seven workers at a Cub Foods grocery store are out of a job after being accused of abusing a shopper rewards program for their personal use.

Cub Foods says it happened at a store on West Broadway Avenue in north Minneapolis for months.

It had to do with the use of Cub’s rewards cards. The program works like this: Each time shoppers spend $50 at Cub, they get 5 cents off a gallon of gas.

Read more...
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

sounds kinda harsh, as long as they weren't "gaming the system" and just collecting unused 'points' that were being "donated" by shoppers I'd be inclined to just be happy you had employees that had some trivial perk that makes them stay at low wage job.

Comment

As usual, your backwards take on it. This would be where I might write something about moral compass, but it would be a waste of bandwidth.
      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
      Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

My guess is they thought it was about the same as turning in customer's bev cans for the '2 for a nickle' bounty.

I would have just announced it was a no-no, especially if the employees in question were otherwise OK and had ongoing 'relationships' with customer base.

Half of them probably conflated it with "saving gas" and helping the environment. LOL.

I think they were "earning" about $1/hour in the scheme, but it wasn't about "the money", just a informal contest because they are bored.

When 31 otherwise law biding, hard working, honest folks are doing something that someone else calls "stealing", I force myself to look for 'big picture'.
        Last edited by Squid; 06-28-2013, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
        Working...
        X