Poisoned OJ found inside Calif. Starbucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poisoned OJ found inside Calif. Starbucks

In case you haven't seen this story yet. I strongly caution everyone to check the tamper resistant seals of any product you buy. This also goes for over the counter drugs. Most product tampering cases are with product with tamper resistant seals. Remember the Tylenol murders in the 80s? After the initial case there were over 250 copycat cases.

By Robert Salonga and Mark Gomez
    Source: San Jose Mercury News

May 01--SAN JOSE -- An experienced corporate chemist and pharmacist from South San Jose became an accused would-be killer on Monday in bizarre fashion: By eschewing her vast expertise and allegedly making a crude mix of rubbing alcohol and orange juice that police say she tried to sneak into the display case of a Starbucks just as it was filling with high-schoolers.

Read the story.
    Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
    Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Something just doesn't "add up" here.

Any "chemist" would know full well that off the shelf 'DENATURED' rubbing alcohol has a strong and nasty enough tasting additive that no one is do anything but instantly spit it out, then spend the next 10 mins trying to get the taste out of your mouth.

It would be like trying to sabotage a car's brakes by substituting a Elvis collectable dinner plate for the brake disk in the box you give to the mechanic. He will notice it is the "wrong part".

This whole "tainted food" thing always made me wonder, because it only happens to food that is already "protected" but never to the huge amounts of totally unprotected fresh produce and bread on the shelves....on even "in the fields".

In similar "strangely stupid terrorist scientist" news, I remember thinking how odd it was that a scientist who was ALL about the DNA would use Anthrax he knew could and would be quickly traced to his lab and him, and wasn't even "deploying" it effectively, mostly just mailing samples that basically screamed "DO NOT INGEST THIS>>>have police analyze and trace this sample". http://www.metafilter.com/73750/Anth...head-of-arrest

PS-I wondering if the "attempted murder" charge will stick, for a few reasons.

According to this, "rubbing alcohol" in USA is just really bad tasting ethyl, not isopropal, which itself might have hard time being called "deadly" in the amount in question. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...propyl_alcohol

So that combined with fact there was basically no chance anyone was actually going to consume it seems like "attempted murder" would be hard sell. Maybe if someone give it to a infant in their bottle without sampling it, then it could have been "murder".

I'd be looking into this suspects personal and family life for some convoluted reason she just put herself in prison. Like maybe some big "family expectation" that her high earning status would be used to support some "arrangement" she couldn't stomach. Or maybe she was targeting some kid who habitually gets an OJ, and there was something going on between that kid and some relative of hers.
    Last edited by Squid; 05-02-2013, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Squid View Post
      Something just doesn't "add up" here.

Any "chemist" would know full well that off the shelf 'DENATURED' rubbing alcohol has a strong and nasty enough tasting additive that no one is do anything but instantly spit it out, then spend the next 10 mins trying to get the taste out of your mouth.

It would be like trying to sabotage a car's brakes by substituting a Elvis collectable dinner plate for the brake disk in the box you give to the mechanic. He will notice it is the "wrong part".

This whole "tainted food" thing always made me wonder, because it only happens to food that is already "protected" but never to the huge amounts of totally unprotected fresh produce and bread on the shelves....on even "in the fields".

In similar "strangely stupid terrorist scientist" news, I remember thinking how odd it was that a scientist who was ALL about the DNA would use Anthrax he knew could and would be quickly traced to his lab and him, and wasn't even "deploying" it effectively, mostly just mailing samples that basically screamed "DO NOT INGEST THIS>>>have police analyze and trace this sample". http://www.metafilter.com/73750/Anth...head-of-arrest
      There are countless cases where "unprotected" food has been tainted. One of the more recent cases have been in Canada and tampered bread items.
      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
      Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

DA not pressing charges. !?!?!

Seems like they are still saying she 'switched bottles' and the ones she left were nasty, but....????

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...208898661.html

I'd hardly call it a "vindication". No one is saying the eyewitnesses were mistaken.

It boggles my mind she would be allowed to go back to working in drug company making pills or whatever.

Comment

How about this? http://www.ctvnews.ca/world/new-jers...otch-1.1295526
          I enforce rules and regulations, not laws.
          Security Officers. The 1st First Responders.

Comment

I heard it was a big "no-no" to ever refill any 750ml bottles out of 1.5 liter when I asked "why not" as 1.5 is so much cheaper for consumer in store. Supposedly if it ever "got out" it would be the death of the bar, even if refilling with same exact stuff.

I also heard bars get big price break on 750ml, and the whole booze and bev biz is all wacky.

Places will want a big upfront "down payment" ("Raisin In The Sun" swindle ring a bell?) but will then sell you booze cheap for 3 years, and or they will sell you coveted high selling brands but only on the condition you take others.

Being as standard markup is 3-400%, you would think a LITTLE 'quality' might go a long way.

I've also been told by every bar tender I've known outside being a customer that "all normal rules are upside down" and "opposite of common sense" rules in bar biz.

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
            Working...
            X