LP Field, whats out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LP Field, whats out there?

So, I've been getting a bit bored with my current LP job. I don't want to go into too much into detail on the company but its a uniform based position that deals with safety, apprehensions, and plain clothes when I see a shoplifter. The thing is that I feel like I'm not getting as hands on as I want to. There is a lot of room for advancement and a clear route towards it but right now its just boring going through the daily processes.

I was hoping I could get some incite from others in the field as to pay and career advancement for current lp jobs. Feel free to send me a pm if you can't openly discuss things on the forums.

I would stay with the company with room to grow.

Comment

What do you mean "hands on?"
      Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
      Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

This is one of those careers where you are going to have to put your time in. Being an LP agent basically puts you at street level where you are going to have to learn how things work. Fortunately for you, the LP field has a high turn around rate at the middle management level where most regional managers move to another company or move into law enforcement. Learn everything you can about theft, credit card fraud, internal theft, and inventory control. Learn about the camera equipment that you are using and how to install it and operate it. Set your goals for where you want to go and aim for them. Being an LP manager is very rewarding and can give you the oppurtunity to travel and impliment new policies and procedures that you may develop during your time with the company. If you are bored with the company that you are with, check into other companies. Home depot and lowes have a good LP program, along with nordstrom and Williams Sonoma. You are going to have to have a few years under your belt before you can be considered for a managment position.
        www.nhmonitoring.com

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Baillie View Post
          What do you mean "hands on?"
          More plainclothes work. Right now, numbers crunching and reviewing video isnt the funnest thing in the world. Sure, I can do it and do it well but I feel like its not where I want to excel in right now.

Originally posted by bababouy View Post
          This is one of those careers where you are going to have to put your time in. Being an LP agent basically puts you at street level where you are going to have to learn how things work. Fortunately for you, the LP field has a high turn around rate at the middle management level where most regional managers move to another company or move into law enforcement. Learn everything you can about theft, credit card fraud, internal theft, and inventory control. Learn about the camera equipment that you are using and how to install it and operate it. Set your goals for where you want to go and aim for them. Being an LP manager is very rewarding and can give you the oppurtunity to travel and impliment new policies and procedures that you may develop during your time with the company. If you are bored with the company that you are with, check into other companies. Home depot and lowes have a good LP program, along with nordstrom and Williams Sonoma. You are going to have to have a few years under your belt before you can be considered for a managment position.
          Thanks for the advice. Ive been in the field for around 3 years so I have already learned a lot about the topics you have mentioned. It helps that I have a feel for the field and that I'm interested in it, I always want to learn the newest thing. I will try to focus a bit more on some of the topics you mentioned but its hard to do when your hands are tied. You can only do so much before someone tells you that you are digging outside of your pay grade.

Comment

Originally posted by wiredharpoon View Post
            More plainclothes work. Right now, numbers crunching and reviewing video isnt the funnest thing in the world. Sure, I can do it and do it well but I feel like its not where I want to excel in right now.

Thanks for the advice. Ive been in the field for around 3 years so I have already learned a lot about the topics you have mentioned. It helps that I have a feel for the field and that I'm interested in it, I always want to learn the newest thing. I will try to focus a bit more on some of the topics you mentioned but its hard to do when your hands are tied. You can only do so much before someone tells you that you are digging outside of your pay grade.
            I enjoy my EP work, I get a chance to meet and work with a lot of new people, recently I had the chance to hook up with the security director (LP) at the Bridgewater Marriott, a first class place, and the LP team there is first rate, I was very impressed with their security operations room (Hammer Room ) as we call it, the PTZ set up and the freedom to do your internal and outside tours at your own pace. It's a very clean set up, free dinner and the Eye Candy is added bonus, lol They have a great gig going.
            Pop Pop - It reminds me of an old statement by my Master Sergeant. "A Good Run is better then a Bad Stand".

Sec Trainer- Pop Pop: Hope you don't mind if I quote your Master Sergeant. He was a very smart man.

Pop Pop- Yes Sir, Thank you Senior Instructor Sec Trainer, hope you don't mind if I place your quote into my Signature?

Sec Trainer- Permission granted, recruit. Now, police the company area!

flat out cool..

Comment

Loss prevention is a quite interesting field. In fact, most LP agents don't even aspire to go into law enforcement. I can understand why your current post might be uninteresting. Try landing a job with Best Buy. I can assure you that you will see plenty of action there. Not only will you see a lot of action, but the pay is high too. The hourly range is from $9 - $15, and the yearly range is $43k - $47k. This is ridiculously high for most jobs in the security field.

Comment

I'm guessing that Best Buy LPs see a lot of overtime. That's why the yearly is in-proportionate to the hourly wages.

Comment

Originally posted by GuardSecSSCS View Post
                  I'm guessing that Best Buy LPs see a lot of overtime. That's why the yearly is in-proportionate to the hourly wages.
                  No they do not get alot of overtime. Management is held responsible for hours.
                  Retail Security Consultant / Expert Witness
                  Co-Author - Effective Security Management 6th Edition

Contributor to Retail Crime, Security and Loss Prevention: An Encyclopedic Reference

Comment

Leaderboard

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X